• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP Firmware 3.60 Details

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
img_0621.jpg

Our friends at Joystiq recently had the chance to get some hands-on time with the redesigned PSP, currently running firmware 3.60. Visually, this new firmware looks no different than past firmware revisions. However, it has a number of new features exclusive to the new PSP model.

The most notable addition is the UMD Cache feature. As we discussed earlier, the new PSP model is equipped with 64MB of RAM, allowing for the caching of UMD data resulting in faster load speeds. Secondly, there is a new USB Charge feature, which basically allows any generic USB to Mini-B cable to charge the PSP while transferring files.

Lastly, within connected display settings, are settings for the new video-output feature. PSP games will be rendered at their original resolution, 480x272, with black borders surrounding any empty space on the TV.

With the exception of the USB Charge feature, it's likely the rest of these options in firmware 3.60 will not display on older model PSP units.

PSP firmware 3.60 reveals hidden USB Charge feature [PSPFanboy]

Tenshigami

USB charge may not be available for non-slims either. Besides using the USB cable with an end that fits in the AC jack. And that doesn't work correctly when clocking the CPU to 333 MHz, as it's not a high enough voltage. (PSP shuts off)

As for UMD cacheing, I probably still get faster speeds from loading a copy of my legally owned UMDs from my memory stick.

TV-Out would be a neat trick, if it for sure made the screen bigger. It also doesn't help that I don't have an HDTV.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
does this mean for new games that come outt...they will not be able to run on older psp firmwares like 3.40 oe-a and not run on the psp itself?? because if so that means i have to buy the new psp:S

Eventually new games won't be able to run on 3.40 OE-A as they will require firmware 3.5 + to run. But I wouldn't expect that to happen for at least a couple more months. Anyways, someone will always figure a way around it, so I wouldn't worry much...

David6632

Eventually new games won't be able to run on 3.40 OE-A as they will require firmware 3.5 + to run. But I wouldn't expect that to happen for at least a couple more months. Anyways, someone will always figure a way around it, so I wouldn't worry much...

As ur means PSP firmware not will stop realase Custume Firmware

So when will realase it for this V3.60??

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
As ur means PSP firmware not will stop realase Custume Firmware

So when will realase it for this V3.60??

how should I know? :p Firmware 3.60 isn't even out yet... it was just on the demo units at E3.