• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

CXMB without flash on M33 3.5X, possible?

MasonxXx

hey I was wondering if there was any way to customize my PSP's XMB without flashing on m33 firmware 3.5X.

Acerthief

there is an app that's called CXMB, which doesn't flash to the PSP's main memory, but the app itself is not compatible with M33 series, so i can only say nope. only time will tell...

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

banner

Yeah, I know some people reported it was incompatible with 3.50 / 3.51 M33, but it seems to be working fine on 3.52 M33 (with update #2 installed).
there's just a problem with "system_plugin_fg.rco" you cant open up Photo or it freeze, so i suggest whoever to convert it using this. Just download the file, uzip it, put "system_plugin_fg.rco" in the same folder with the rest of the junk and click on "US_system_plugin_fg_Upgrade.bat". Now use that same file. (it will also create a .bak file)

But having that plugin isnt as soilid as flashing. If you have the plugin and exit a game, sometimes it'll end up having the default PSP theme. And you need to go back in the game to exit it right for it to show your custom XMB.

Flashing isnt actually flashing at all, so I prefer flashing instead by following this...

Plug in USB
1. Hold your PSP power button up for more than 5 seconds, until the PSP completely turns off.
2. Turn it back on holding the R-trigger
3. Once recovery mode has come up, select Advanced
4. Select Toggle USB (flash0)
5. A screen will pop up on your computer that will show you the contents of flash0
(Be sure to keep a backup of all the folders!!)

6. Now if you see a theme you like for 3.52m33, just overwrite those folders.

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
Flashing isnt actually flashing at all, so I prefer flashing instead by following this...

Plug in USB
1. Hold your PSP power button up for more than 5 seconds, until the PSP completely turns off.
2. Turn it back on holding the R-trigger
3. Once recovery mode has come up, select Advanced
4. Select Toggle USB (flash0)
5. A screen will pop up on your computer that will show you the contents of flash0
(Be sure to keep a backup of all the folders!!)

6. Now if you see a theme you like for 3.52m33, just overwrite those folders. And if some theme are too large DONT delete the "dic" folder!! even if they say its okay (just make sacrifices by file size), because if you do you wont be able to use your USB Connection. Well that's what i found.

Not to retort on that comment, but flashing IS flashing, you are putting stuff on the PSP's built in flash memory, to it's technically flashing, and it is in the sense that one wrong move and you could F your PSP all to hell. You need a little more clarification, and also, don't delete ANYTHING in the flash that you're not supposed to because if you do delete the wrong thing then your PSP's BRICKED. DEAD. NADA. NO LONGER ALIVE. A WASTE OF SPACE. AN EXPENSIVE PAPERWEIGHT. etc... So never EVER delete anything off of either flash just because you think it'll "free some space". Sorry, banner, I just don't want any brickings.:p

banner

Well i edited my post right after i posted it.

But anways, i meant flashing isnt literally flashing like when you flash your firmware to downgrade. It doesnt flash blue and green screens and go into DOS mood and have all the weird funky looking screen and then reboot.

I meant when you flash themes you just replace your firmware files.

And im mistaken because you CAN delete the "dic" folder if you run out of space, "Why???" i dont know, you just can. "What is it for?" i dont know for sure but the kids say its for Asian fonts.

Acerthief

Well i edited my post right after i posted it.

But anways, i meant flashing isnt literally flashing like when you flash your firmware to downgrade. It doesnt flash blue and green screens and go into DOS mood and have all the weird funky looking screen and then reboot.

I meant when you flash themes you just replace your firmware files.

And im mistaken because you CAN delete the "dic" folder if you run out of space, "Why???" i dont know, you just can. "What is it for?" i dont know for sure but the kids say its for Asian fonts.

it doesn't really matter what kind of flashing you're doing. flashing is flashing, and for inexperienced users toggle flash0 is already a big risk. that's why toggling to flash0 and flash1 are in the "advanced" configuration.

just to tell banner. i'm not flaming you. the post above have the correct information under easy and understandable description.
it's just the flashing part manually may not be appropriate for the user that's asking the question.

but the final decision goes to the user itself, and like cheezeball, we don't want people complaining we've bricked their PSP, when actually they made mistakes themselves.

nothing more:D

banner

Are most members here really like this?? Lord help me please!

Not being disrespectful or anything like that but as for me and many other noobs (compare to members above) when the term flashing appears it make "us" (PSP Help Center thread creators) think of flashing as in literally flashing.

When we first downgrade or update were ascertain that flashing means to see blinking blue/green flash.

Advance users have to know that not all PSP users have the same knowledge like you guys. When i first heard that you should flash your PSP to have full costume XMB, my first thought was actually flashing the motherboard itself?

Technically or not, what other terms do you use "flashing without literally seeing flashes" is used for? "Let me pip my BIOS SAGE intragroup CPU with legs and kicks KART panels and flash it" :huh: