• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[POLL] - PS3 CFW - The end of the ps3 or just the beginning

Alex

Well, The ps3 cfw is here, Where do you think it will take the PS3? Down piracy lane or strictly homebrew?

Id aprreciate an explaination for all votes :)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
It'll lead to both, mass piracy and homebrew. Piracy is always a side effect. Unfortunately, in the PS3's case, the integrity of PSN is now under threat as well. Apparently with the root key it's now feasible (in theory) to change stuff like the console ID, which will make banning cheaters extremely difficult.

While Sony can always ban on a per account basis, given that PSN is completely free, this isn't much of a defense. Creating another account only takes a matter of seconds.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I agree with x3.

While Sony can always ban on a per account basis, given that PSN is completely free, this isn't much of a defense. Creating another account only takes a matter of seconds.

Sony has implemented the Plus program for PSN though, so transforming PSN into a subscription only basis is more feasable now than it was before. Of course it wont be easy as far as consumer feedback but, it is a logical option if they want to protect PSN.

I feel like Platform holders need to state their opinion that they dont support homebrew, but stop trying to fight the war on it. Let that be up to the law enforcement that puts these laws in to effect. I understand not fighting the war in some way loses them money, but at the same time its onee of those wars that cant be won - like the war on drugs or terrorism or violence. You cant remove things like that. Piracy is giving people free shit, you cant remove the need to want free crap.

At any rate. Id love to be a fly on the wall for the security meetings that are happening at Sony right now.

Alex

Sadly so.
Sony could implement one account per ip or something.

Lets hope that the piracy don't lead to the death of the ps3. Well not death, but it will surely effect the games... :/

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Lets hope that the piracy don't lead to the death of the ps3. Well not death, but it will surely effect the games... :/

Frankly, this event with the PS3 along with the general Hoembrew scene that has emerged over the years is causing a restructure of the gaming industry. More and more independant game devs are coming out of the woodwork now that the information to be in the feild is more prevelant and easy to access.

With that said, the current market of "Make it look good before you make it playable" will soon change because of homebrew following the rules of the old school - which I absolutely love. Games are spending upwards of 20 million dollars to develop a game that looks amazing, but i my oopinion, 8/10 are not very fun or playable. Much like the way Hollywood has gone, make it look badass before it makes sense.

The death of gaming has been in motion since 10 years ago, it started with the production of games in 3D and online playing. Its inevitable that that style of development would eventually reach a climax where it would become unmanagable and unsustainable because of the openness of both fields. Gaming will indeed die, just as it has in the past. But, like all things it will rise again in a different skin, just as it has in the past.

Just look at all the recent activity within studios and publishers, people are getting laid off like hot cakes. Publishers selling studios like used books and studios struggling to buy their way into the market.

My prediction is that the gaming industry will decline in sales, jobs, production and interest for a few years, maybe less than 5 if we are lucky. It will return again with a different outlook and point of interest that will remind people what we originally loved about games. Its sad to say, but I think the internet is what is killing this current generation of gaming.

Alex

I disagree, Gaming will never die. Its something entertains nearly all humans. I Agree on your point that it may change form as we know. But it will always be there.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
I disagree, Gaming will never die. Its something entertains nearly all humans. I Agree on your point that it may change form as we know. But it will always be there.

Well when I say die I dont mean it in the literal term. I mean like in the... 70's? 80's? I cant remember but it was before the NES came out, gaming went on a decline to where it was almost nonexistant because of lack of interest on the part of pricing, lack of development and fun, and just an overall rehaul. I feel like that will happen again but on a slightly less grand scale

Robby

Los Doyers!
It will be like the PSP. It will have both homebrew and piracy. As mentioned, PSN is now in danger from cheaters who will create a cheat device. Someone could make a gameshark sort of program one day and just ruin online game play, kinda like how the PSP online got messed up.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Has anyone seen anything about this new online only gaming console?

Its basically like GameFly but you dont wait for discs. Im not sure if its a subscription-based system or pay per game.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I voted both.

I don't see anyone voting Backups but not Homebrew...

Alex

I voted homebrew :p

If developers are a firm believer of homebrew, they wont need back ups, as some one said on here on the forums, why would you need it? if someone said for portability, you know that theyre chatting lol

Hellcat

Contributor
"Backup" being illegal pirate copies or actual backing up of my data (settings, gamesaves, e.t.c.)?

If it's the later then I'd say both, but since I think you're refering to game copies I vote for "HB only".

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Well the term "backup" im pretty sure describes a digital copy of a game that you already own. If you dont own the game, or at one time did (does saving receipts count?) then its just a pirated copy.

Alex

"Backup" being illegal pirate copies or actual backing up of my data (settings, gamesaves, e.t.c.)?

If it's the later then I'd say both, but since I think you're refering to game copies I vote for "HB only".

Yup i mean pirate copies

Robby

Los Doyers!
Has anyone seen anything about this new online only gaming console?

Its basically like GameFly but you dont wait for discs. Im not sure if its a subscription-based system or pay per game.

Are you talking about the OnLive console thingy?

Hellcat

Contributor
Yah, my point being, ppl like hiding behind the term "Backup" even though they never bought the game.
Kinda shows their bad consciousness, doesn't it ;) They know they're doing something wrong.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Yah, my point being, ppl like hiding behind the term "Backup" even though they never bought the game.
Kinda shows their bad consciousness, doesn't it ;) They know they're doing something wrong.

Goes the same for pirating music and movies. While I have a strong moral against pirating music and games - I dont feel the same for movies.

Both ways.

Same thing with the Wii,Twiizers took a 100% no-piracy approach, but only took someone like Waninkoko to come along, hack together a loader out Twiizer's work that they made open and release it.

The consequently of having an open platform is that anyone can do anything.

Alex

I guess with piracy, you only care about the stuff that effects you