• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSP won't turn on. Any advice?

seamoon

I got a PSP a few weeks ago, I think it's running version 3.3. Anyway, I don't know if it's because I opened Devhook (on the memory card when I got it) or if it's just a glitch, but half the time I turn the stupid system on, the green light comes on, but nothing else. I'd say another 30% of the time, the backlight of the screen comes on, but nothing starts, and that other 20% of the time (after leaving it on the black screen for a while then shutting it off and turning it on again) does it actually work.

Most of the time that it starts, whatever game I'm playing will freeze within 10 minutes, and then usually the system goes back to the green (power) light on but no screen for a few days.

When I said I opened Devhook, I closed it immediately (using the home key). I didn't run anything in it. I don't know why it was on the card, as the person said I should've never needed it.

So, what should I do? Downgrade to 1.5 and then upgrade to 3.5 or maybe 3.7? Has anyone else heard of this problem? Is the machine just totally shot? It's killing me to not have a PSP 3 weeks after I got it.

Thanks for any help, and for putting up with a newb!!

seamoon

I just upgraded to 3.52, thinking maybe I had a bad version. It worked for the first few minutes, then froze when I let it sit for a few minutes (it also freezes mid-game sometimes). Now it's back to just the green light, no screen. HELP!

TimTiger

Way to addicted to games.
that is the weardest glitch I have heard of, the way it's acting now almost seems like a brick but then it starts. it may be a hardware issue.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I just upgraded to 3.52, thinking maybe I had a bad version. It worked for the first few minutes, then froze when I let it sit for a few minutes (it also freezes mid-game sometimes). Now it's back to just the green light, no screen. HELP!

To be honest I never heard of anyone having problems like this... it could be a hardware issue. What happens if you press the brightness button a few times after the screen goes off?

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Use Chilly Willy's key cleaner and if that doesnt work try formating your mem stick and downgrading back to 1.5 then back up to your firmware of choice if it doesnt work then you might have something wrong with your motherboard or maybe a wire short. Either way I'd talk to whoever sold it to you and if the problem persists or if you still can get your money back quick shouldn't be happening. p.s. check the warranty seal.

seamoon

Where can I find Chilly's key cleaner? I can't talk to who sold it to me because someone brought it back from a Hong Kong vacation. This is the 4th one he's bought, and the other 3 never had these problems.

What am I looking for in the warranty? It's model PSP-1006, it's got a serial number, no signs of tampering on the warranty sticker... The barcode on the bottom looks fine, too.

seamoon

To be honest I never heard of anyone having problems like this... it could be a hardware issue. What happens if you press the brightness button a few times after the screen goes off?

Sorry, I meant it freezes if I let it sit, then I have to turn it off, and when I turn it back on is when I only get the green power light. I should also mention that I shut off the powersave feature, because that seemed to cause it, too.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
I just wanted to see if he tampered inside the psp make sure also it doesnt look like he used a hairdryer to take off the sticker it leaves it intact and it should be in psp development.