• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Using The Universal Unbricker To Unbrick / Downgrade / Restore Any PSP To 5.00 M33-4

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Can anyone help me? I screwed up big time when I did the 3.90 M33 wrong. I think I placed the files in the wrong place or name. Now the system is plain 3.90.

I tried the steps above to revert it, but I dont have diagnostic mode, nor will the system run any app, Time Machine or Pandora's Battery. Is it totally screwed, or is there something I can do?

You can restore your PSP back to 3.80 M33-5 with a Pandora but in order to convert the battery and install memory stick files you will need to have a PSP running custom firmware. So hopefully you know someone with custom firmware that can do this for you. Otherwise there are people over at Noobz.eu who will.

APIV

Thanks, but I am living far away from where those people reside. Now I am thinking, is it possible wait for the next iteration of a M33 driver and use that to 'update' over into a M33?

AznSaiyan

I have made a magic memory stick

but if i have bought a tool 3.6v 1800mah will this both work too?

Or do you have to use the magic memory stick and use the program to make a pandora battery?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thanks, but I am living far away from where those people reside. Now I am thinking, is it possible wait for the next iteration of a M33 driver and use that to 'update' over into a M33?

Unfortunately no. The only way to get back on custom firmware is by using a Pandora battery.

I have made a magic memory stick

but if i have bought a tool 3.6v 1800mah will this both work too?

Or do you have to use the magic memory stick and use the program to make a pandora battery?

Not sure what you mean... I told you in another thread that the TOOL battery is a Pandora. So just boot up the PSP with the magic memory stick and TOOL battery inserted and it will display a menu asking if you would like to install 3.80 M33-5.

APIV

Thanks x3sphere, so if I have a Pandora battery, I can enter a mode which allows me to run the downgrader?
Im sorry for being such a noob, PCs are more my thing. I just dont understand how a battery will adversely affect the operation of the machine.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Thanks x3sphere, so if I have a Pandora battery, I can enter a mode which allows me to run the downgrader?
Im sorry for being such a noob, PCs are more my thing. I just dont understand how a battery will adversely affect the operation of the machine.

Yes. All PSP batteries (well, the ones listed the compatibility list) have a EEPROM chip that is writable. The PSP reads this on bootup and it checks for a specific serial code. So if that serial code is detected it enters service mode and starts loading files from the memory stick.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

AznSaiyan

maybe a stupid question but do you also need to update the pandora battery?

Or is it only update the magic stick?

I have bought the TOOL 3.6v 1800mAh one the orange one will it backup id storage too and NAND?
and how about the flash savings?

Also did you guys know the pandora orange one? Well there is now a slim version one. TOOL SLIM 3.6v 1200mAh
So does it means now the Max power 3.6v 1200mAh slim can change in to pandora too?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
maybe a stupid question but do you also need to update the pandora battery?

Or is it only update the magic stick?

I have bought the TOOL 3.6v 1800mAh one the orange one will it backup id storage too and NAND?
and how about the flash savings?

Also did you guys know the pandora orange one? Well there is now a slim version one. TOOL SLIM 3.6v 1200mAh
So does it means now the Max power 3.6v 1200mAh slim can change in to pandora too?

Since you already have a Pandora battery, only follow the instructions to create a magic memory stick. All of the NAND backup utilities are on the memory stick.

And I'm not sure if the Max Power 3.6v 1200mAh Slim can be converted to Pandora. Someone will need to test it.

AznSaiyan

Since you already have a Pandora battery, only follow the instructions to create a magic memory stick. All of the NAND backup utilities are on the memory stick.

And I'm not sure if the Max Power 3.6v 1200mAh Slim can be converted to Pandora. Someone will need to test it.

How about the flash savings? You didnt really answer all my questions.
But thanks for the other answers.

also is there a need to update the battery or is all pandora battery same?

Haad

hey guys tell me what to do am using pandora to unbrick my psp slim now when i press x to install 3.80m33-5 it gets stuck on formatting flash0.

Haad

and i used the same pandora battery and memstick on a fat psp running 3.71m33-4 and it didnt get stuck .??

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
How about the flash savings? You didnt really answer all my questions.
But thanks for the other answers.

also is there a need to update the battery or is all pandora battery same?

Not sure what you mean by "flash savings." All Pandora batteries are the same, the battery will never have to be updated.

hey guys tell me what to do am using pandora to unbrick my psp slim now when i press x to install 3.80m33-5 it gets stuck on formatting flash0.

Your NAND is damaged. You can try using NANDTool to repartition the lflash. That usually fixes the problem. Be sure to carefully read the readme file though.

BlacK_AleX

ID_STORAGE

This Pandora can already back up id storage - you just press Square at the menu to backup the NAND.

Yeh but NAND and id_storage are different. e.g- on Pandora for fat v2 when MAxsafe was installed the options to back-up NAND and back-up id_storage were two completely different options. So will i be able to INSTALL max-safe on this Universal Unbricker.

P.S-If i made this on a fat, will it work on a slim

Acerthief

Yeh but NAND and id_storage are different. e.g- on Pandora for fat v2 when MAxsafe was installed the options to back-up NAND and back-up id_storage were two completely different options. So will i be able to INSTALL max-safe on this Universal Unbricker.

P.S-If i made this on a fat, will it work on a slim

NAND = Partition + lflash (flash0/1/2/3) + IDStorage

So when you backup your NAND, your IDStorage Keys are backed up as well.
You can use cory's nandTool to only flash the partition, lflash, IDSK parts of the NAND.

AznSaiyan

4. Upon launching the application, take note of these four options:
Press O to convert battery to Pandora
Press [] to convert battery to normal
Press R+O to write battery serial to file
Press R+[] to restore battery serial

First, you will want to press R+O to backup your battery serial. If for any reason you'd like to convert your battery back to normal in the future, press R+[] to restore the battery serial. This is the preferred method for restoring your battery back to its previous state.

If by chance you forgot to back up the battery serial and still would like to convert your battery back to normal, choose the second option by pressing [].

Once you're ready, press O to convert your battery to Pandora.

What is the differents between [] and R+[].

Why not just []? It will change to normal battery anyways not?

also i pressed wrong button when i make the pandora battery. after make the battery i pressed x. Do i have to install the whole magic stick again?

I have did this part now

16. Press X to install a 1.50 firmware, containing Pandora, to the memory stick.

17. When the process is finished, press L+X to install the IPL. Now exit the application.

AznSaiyan

Another question why doenst it boot pandora menu?

I have install everything again. i have install pandora battery but still it start to normal mode? Someone help?

Acerthief

Another question why doenst it boot pandora menu?

I have install everything again. i have install pandora battery but still it start to normal mode? Someone help?

Maybe the battery isn't converted.

Also that press square just makes up a fake serial, which still doesn't give protection to the battery. In other words, your battery doesn't have heat control, it might suddenly explode.

Also, you have to take the battery out, let it stay put for a few seconds, stick the memory stick in, THEN put the battery in.