• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Need Information!

truongazn

Hi,
I am looking to buy a PSP but i do not know which firmware it has to have and cannot have so that i am able to play homebrew games. I have searched the forum but still have not found an exact answer.

1) What firmware does the PSP have to have so that you can play homebrew games and does it have to be the slim and lite or can it be the fat 1002?
2) Can you upgrade the firmware from an firmware on the PSP?
3) What firmware can you play homebrew games on?
4) What are the new features on the new firmwares?

Thats all i need answered for now until i actually purchase my PSP!!!
Any help would be much appreciated!

Acerthief

1)The hardware doesn't matter, phat and slim both works.
2)Upgrade custom firmware from official firmware? You can't. But official to official can.
3)If your is X.XXOE or X.XXM33, then you can play. But don't expect to be it if you bought a new of out of box.
4)There's quite a of features, depends on how "new" your "new" is. The latest official firmware is 3.95, and latest custom firmware is 3.90M33-2.

Just a side note, if you want your psp to be changed from official firmware to custom firmware, there will be a few steps you need if you don't have friends or people you know with custom firmware. But there are other ways. :D

Also check through the Noobie FAQ,gives a few info you'll need. :D

**Moved to PSP Help Center.
Feel free to post here if you have more questions.

truongazn

Ok thanks for the reply!

How do you know if the PSP is X.XXOE or X.XXM33? Are the majority of PSPs in one of these formats? Is this code the firmware number or???

So lets just say i bought a slim psp fom that did not have any custom firmware upgraded on it yet, just one of the official. From there, can i update the firmware to 3.90 m33-2, by firstly updating to 3.52 m33?

From question 4, do you mean by updating from official to 3.52 m33 to 3.90 m33-2? I have read that you have to use some pandora box to downgrade from 3.90 m33-2 back to official. Is this true and is there any other way?

Cheers

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
How do you know if the PSP is X.XXOE or X.XXM33? Are the majority of PSPs in one of these formats? Is this code the firmware number or???
It'll be the system version... But if you buy a new PSP from a store it, guaranteed, will NOT have an OE or M33 firmware.
So lets just say i bought a slim psp fom that did not have any custom firmware upgraded on it yet, just one of the official. From there, can i update the firmware to 3.90 m33-2, by firstly updating to 3.52 m33?

From question 4, do you mean by updating from official to 3.52 m33 to 3.90 m33-2? I have read that you have to use some pandora box to downgrade from 3.90 m33-2 back to official. Is this true and is there any other way?
You have to use a Pandora's battery/Magic memstick to install custom firmware from official on a PSP slim, no matter what. Go HERE, if it doesn't answer your questions then feel free to ask more.:smile:

truongazn

What does OE stand for?

If i bought a PSP from the shop, what are the alternatives to upgrade the firmware to 3.90 m33-2

Cheezeball99

What does OE stand for?
Open Edition, same thing as M33, just the earlier ones were called OE.
If i bought a PSP from the shop, what are the alternatives to upgrade the firmware to 3.90 m33-2
You can-
A) If it's a PSP Phat and it has a firmware 3.50 or lower, you can downgrade it using one of several methods involving certain UMD games, such as Lumines.
B) If it's a PSP Slim or has a firmware higher than 3.50 then you have to use the Pandora's battery/Magic memstick combo. To create those you have to use an already homebrew-enabled PSP. Although, there's another way to go about doing this- You can buy a Datel tool battery or hardmod a battery yourself to Pandora, and then use an "easy installer" to create a magic memstick.

truongazn

What is the best and easiest firmware to have on a PSP phat or slim so that it is just a straight forward upgrade (ie. Plug in PSP, open updater and it upgrades by itself)?

What would i require to do if i had either a PSP fat with firmware 2.01 or 1.5?

Cheezeball99

What is the best and easiest firmware to have on a PSP phat or slim so that it is just a straight forward upgrade (ie. Plug in PSP, open updater and it upgrades by itself)?

What would i require to do if i had either a PSP fat with firmware 2.01 or 1.5?

1.5 is pretty much the only one you can go straight to upgrading with. 2.01 would require you to upgrade to 2.71, downgrade to 1.5 with the method HERE (if the PSP is ta-082 or ta-086), then you can install 3.52M33, then upgrade from that to a newer one, if you want.

truongazn

So pretty much if i buy a PSP with 1.50 firmware, the upgrade will be straight forward?

Is the upgrade process as follows?

1) Update to 3.52M33
2) Update to 3.90M33
3) Install 1.50 Kernal

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
So pretty much if i buy a PSP with 1.50 firmware, the upgrade will be straight forward?

Is the upgrade process as follows?

1) Update to 3.52M33
2) Update to 3.90M33
3) Install 1.50 Kernal

Pretty much though you will need to upgrade to 3.52 M33-4 after installing 3.52 M33. This is because the 3.90 M33 updater only works from 3.52 M33-3 and above.

truongazn

What is the process of how to downgrade?

And also, which of the m33 firmwares allow you to play hombrew games from the memory stick?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor

truongazn

So i have just bought a PSP off ebay and it already has the 3.90 m33 custom firmware!

If i have a ps1 game lets say gran turismo, how do i get it to work on my PSP. Do i just drag and drop and it will appear under games?

Do you know of any site that shows every single PSP game or if you know how many PSP games there are altogether at the moment?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
So i have just bought a PSP off ebay and it already has the 3.90 m33 custom firmware!

If i have a ps1 game lets say gran turismo, how do i get it to work on my PSP. Do i just drag and drop and it will appear under games?

Do you know of any site that shows every single PSP game or if you know how many PSP games there are altogether at the moment?

Wikipedia has a full list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Portable_games

To play PSOne games you will need the dump the image from your original disc then convert it to EBOOT format. There's a guide on how to do that here:

http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=2047

truongazn

Also, if i have backup games, which folder do i put them in on the memory card to play on the PSP.
Then how do i get to them (ie. Go to games etc)?

Thanks

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Also, if i have backup games, which folder do i put them in on the memory card to play on the PSP.
Then how do i get to them (ie. Go to games etc)?

Thanks

When you dump a UMD on the PSP it'll automatically be transferred to the correct folder (X:/ISO). Then you can select it from the Game menu.