• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Xbox 360 DVD flashing guide

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
I really don't care how I get the game. After I flashed my 360 I turned around and sold all of my games and burned the ones I genuinely liked.

Access_Denied

I don't buy any games for the 360, only the PS3. And I have some good games for the PS3, but I still don't play it because the only game I ever play is RB2, and I have that for 360. :| Damn. When will the PS3 be hacked so I can throw out that loud ass space heater.

FullMetalCat

Is there any way to check if your chipset is compatible? Like a program that does it for you?
EDIT: I just loaded a BenQ firmware in iPrep and clicked prepare and everything worked fine. Does this mean my chipset is compatible? Also, under SATA info in iPrep is that what tells you what chipset you have? Cause the first one says it's compatible. Did I luck out? Do I also need an extra SATA cable? Or can I use the one that the 360 already has.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
motherfucker fuck fuck fuck

I opened up another 360 today and it had a fucking lite-on. Looks like I'm going to have to order the V3 Connectivity Kit, or build a little dongle. Soldering isn't my strong point, so I guess I'll order the V3CK. Anyone here have one they'd be willing to part with?

fifteen

I'm getting a 360 for Christmas and I really want it flashing, but I don't know how to do it myself and to be quite honest, I'd rather have someone who knows what they are doing do it. If I did get it flashed, I'd still want to play on Xbox Live without being detected.

Access_Denied

FullMetalCat said:
Is there any way to check if your chipset is compatible? Like a program that does it for you?
EDIT: I just loaded a BenQ firmware in iPrep and clicked prepare and everything worked fine. Does this mean my chipset is compatible? Also, under SATA info in iPrep is that what tells you what chipset you have? Cause the first one says it's compatible. Did I luck out? Do I also need an extra SATA cable? Or can I use the one that the 360 already has.

There's no way to know unless someone tells you if it's compatible or not. With my first drive, iPrep said my SATA card was compatible, and it wasn't. Try it out. If it doesn't work, but a VIA chipset. $20 on newegg.

Mr. Beefy said:
motherfucker fuck fuck fuck

I opened up another 360 today and it had a fucking lite-on. Looks like I'm going to have to order the V3 Connectivity Kit, or build a little dongle. Soldering isn't my strong point, so I guess I'll order the V3CK. Anyone here have one they'd be willing to part with?

What would a V3CK do? There's no way to mod a Lite-On, if you have one, you're fucked. Try to trade with someone with another drive, or return it.

fifteen said:
I'm getting a 360 for Christmas and I really want it flashing, but I don't know how to do it myself and to be quite honest, I'd rather have someone who knows what they are doing do it. If I did get it flashed, I'd still want to play on Xbox Live without being detected.

Honestly, it's really easy to do. All it takes is a little patience and a little Google know how. But, if you buy a new one, you'll probably get a Lite-On drive. You can check by doing like in this picture.

BenQorLite-on.jpg

EDIT: Also, it's currently impossible to be detected by MS. The only way to get detected is to play a game with bad stealth files. However, iXtreme 1.4 won't even run a game with bad stealth files, so you're safe. NOTHING to worry about.

Also, can someone please add the sticker removing tutorial to the original post? It may not be important in Europe, but the sticker is what defines your warranty over here in the US.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
Access_Denied said:
What would a V3CK do? There's no way to mod a Lite-On, if you have one, you're fucked. Try to trade with someone with another drive, or return it.
Yes, but it's not as simple as tearing open my spare 360 and swapping the drive out, I need to extract the drive key out of the Lite-On and use that to generate the hacked firmware for the replacement drive. In order to do this I either need to construct a tool myself, or use something like the V3CK.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Hey Phil
Can you please get the BenQ guide up soon-ish?
And by the way in your original post it still says:
Samsung MS25 (coming soon)
Samsung MS28 (coming soon)
Despite them both being up.
Thanks.

eldiablov

Contributor
El Xando said:
Hey Phil
Can you please get the BenQ guide up soon-ish?
And by the way in your original post it still says:
Samsung MS25 (coming soon)
Samsung MS28 (coming soon)
Despite them both being up.
Thanks.

I know Phil is doing a good job but seriously, just google textbook.pdf and click the first result. Its perfect for BenQ. Just dont trust everything that iPrep tells you to do xD

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
I've got two Hitachi's to flash tonight. Wish me luck, last time I couldn't get those fuckers in ModeB. I really need to get these flashed, because I just bought a new pair of hockey gloves and I had to buy cheap wintergreen chaw and it's disgusting.

twelve

I'm not dead
Access_Denied said:
Also, can someone please add the sticker removing tutorial to the original post? It may not be important in Europe, but the sticker is what defines your warranty over here in the US.
In short. No.

If you want to flash your 360 then be prepared to lose the warranty. Don't be a fucking pussy.

Access_Denied

twelve said:
In short. No.

If you want to flash your 360 then be prepared to lose the warranty. Don't be a fucking pussy.

OK, that doesn't make any sense. If it's so simple for someone to have their 360 modded AND have the RROD warranty, why not show them how? Chances are they're going to get a RROD, so why not have them protected by doing this simple little task? Nobody should have to be prepared to lose their warranty if they don't have to, and it surely doesn't make them a pussy.

twelve

I'm not dead
Access_Denied said:
Nobody should have to be prepared to lose their warranty if they don't have to
Exactly. They don't have to. If you want to keep your warranty then dont break it. If you want to pirate your games then lose your warranty. It's a simple choice.

You may have no morals about defrauding Microsoft but I do.

Access_Denied

twelve said:
Exactly. They don't have to. If you want to keep your warranty then dont break it. If you want to pirate your games then lose your warranty. It's a simple choice.

You may have no morals about defrauding Microsoft but I do.

But, they can have both. A modded console and a warranty.

And you're not hurting MS in any way, shape or form by keeping your warranty. You're hurting them by downloading games. They already knew they were going to have to honor the warranty that they put on your system.

If this is an issue of morals, why do you even support piracy?

twelve

I'm not dead
I don't, the site does. In case you haven't noticed the BenQ guide still hasn't been written, I haven't broken my warranty to flash my console yet. The only reason I was going to flash it was to write a guide for this site. Frankly I can't be fucked anymore.

Edit: Link to textbook.pdf for BenQ guide added. Seeing as everyone seems to suggest that anyway there's no point in me writing my own guide. If someone else wants to write it then be my guest. I'll add it in and credit you.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Access_Denied said:
But, they can have both. A modded console and a warranty.

And you're not hurting MS in any way, shape or form by keeping your warranty. You're hurting them by downloading games. They already knew they were going to have to honor the warranty that they put on your system.

If this is an issue of morals, why do you even support piracy?
Great, now Phil doesn't want to write a BenQ tut... Thanks Access...
It's the simplest thing ever. Heat the warranty sticker with a hairdryer for a while, then put a knife under it and peel it off.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I got my new console from repairs, removed the sticky using a hair dryer, successfully flashed it, and placed the sticker back.
Looks like it was never opened and I can play backups.

How awesome.

Access_Denied

QuickJay said:
I got my new console from repairs, removed the sticky using a hair dryer, successfully flashed it, and placed the sticker back.
Looks like it was never opened and I can play backups.

How awesome.

Yes, but most people don't know about this 'trick'. I didn't know about it until after I modded my first console. It would have been helpful to know that before.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
I'm with twelve. Go big or go home. If you want to pirate games, then don't be afraid to rid your warranty.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
If you can manage to get away without voiding your warranty then why not? It's okay to find a way around paying for games, but it's not okay to find away around buying a new 360 after your breaks. it's not like you caused the RROD. It takes less then a minute to do the blow dryer thing. If you're that impatient then there's a problem.
As for morals I have no qualms about tricking Microsoft. They can't even make a fucking quality system why should i feel sorry for them. If it didn't break all the goddamn time people wouldn't have to send it in.

Even though that trick isn't a surefire way to save your 360 from impending doom, cause if your console is banned you're still fucked. and Microsoft doesn't use those silver stickers anymore. they use...
new360warrantysticker.jpg