• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

360 Xbox 360 DVD flashing guide

Seth

MD Party Room
I tried flashing my friends 360 a while back..

First off it was hell getting the case open...Useing that cd sipnner top trick....and the then getting the drive in the right mode was pure hell with the slax linux live cd... never did get it to work....and lost out on 50 bucks...

FullMetalCat

Opening the 360 is a breeze. It's just a bitch cause nobody has a fucking torx screwdriver. The only hard part about opening it was that little holes on the back of it, having to like custom cut out a tool for that.

niko86

Thanks for a plain easy to read and most importantly upto date!!! guide :D

Be hacking my firmware as soon as i see how the new menu interacts with flashed drives. I'd like the save a disk to the drive option for my copies :p

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
Mr. Beefy said:
Toshiba drives are (IMO) the easiest to flash. And the cost of buying the VIA SATA card is far cheaper than $40.
Yeah, but then I have to wait for it to get here, pay shipping, yeah itll be cheaper, but it will take longer + ill probably screw it up, and this guy has a guaranteed to work warranty thing.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Just to check, all the programs used work on Vista right?
Also, isn't there a way using iPrep to check if your SATA device will work with your 360 drive... If so can you post that up?
Thanks.

eldiablov

Contributor
iprep displays a message when you run it if your device is compatible.

And you dont even need an operating system installed if you boot from usb or from CD.

eldiablov

Contributor
androidkaita said:
Yeah, but then I have to wait for it to get here, pay shipping, yeah itll be cheaper, but it will take longer + ill probably screw it up, and this guy has a guaranteed to work warranty thing.

Ever occurred to you that that's because its literally fool proof if you follow the guide? :p

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
eldiablov said:
Ever occurred to you that that's because its literally fool proof if you follow the guide? :p
still, its probably faster to get this guy to do it then to wait around for weeks.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
androidkaita said:
still, its probably faster to get this guy to do it then to wait around for weeks.

Just do it yourself. Order everything this next Monday, and you will have a flashed 360 by the weekend.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
I went ahead and got it modded by that guy on craigslist.

Its freaking awesome to be able to play Gears of War 2 already :D:D:D:D:D

Alright, I got a question:
So what I've done is copied my gamertag to an MU and I am using the MU as the harddrive for my modded console, and the 20gb HDD for my unmodded console. I was just wondering that If I transferred my gamertag back to the online console and signed in to live, would I still get banned from getting achievements from Gears 2? Or do they only ban if they detect your modded firmware?

James.

User Not Found
androidkaita said:

So what I've done is copied my gamertag to an MU and I am using the MU as the harddrive for my modded console, and the 20gb HDD for my unmodded console. I was just wondering that If I transferred my gamertag back to the online console and signed in to live, would I still get banned from getting achievements from Gears 2? Or do they only ban if they detect your modded firmware?
I'm guessing it's modded firmware.

But they usually do mass bannings around updates, so stay offline for a few days arounf the NXE, then update when a new modded firmware when its out.

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
James. said:
I'm guessing it's modded firmware.
I'd like to know for sure, because then I would just leave my profile on the MU and switch the MU between 360's

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
androidkaita said:

Your gamertag won't get banned....

androidkaita

Drop The Gun
wtf....

Alright I guess I cant do that. I transferred my xbl gamertag to my MU, then I played on my modded console. Then I recovered my gamertag on my unmodded console (so I had two of the same account on two consoles at the same time) and then I deleted the recovered one and put in the MU and then it wouldnt let me sign into live cuz my information was invalid? ok....

James.

User Not Found
androidkaita said:
wtf....

Alright I guess I cant do that. I transferred my xbl gamertag to my MU, then I played on my modded console. Then I recovered my gamertag on my unmodded console (so I had two of the same account on two consoles at the same time) and then I deleted the recovered one and put in the MU and then it wouldnt let me sign into live cuz my information was invalid? ok....
Just re-recover.

Next time you save to a MU, just put it in your other 360 -
DON'T RECOVER AFTER YOU'VE GAINED OFFLINE ACHIEVEMENTS OTHERWISE YOU'LL LOSE THEM

In this case it looks like you're gonna lose the achievements, but you'll keep your save data for the game.

twelve

I'm not dead
androidkaita said:
wtf....

What has this got to do with flashing?

Whenever you recover a gamertag any previous tags are made invalid. This is to stop you using your gamertag on more than one console at a time.

If you want to discuss this further then make a seperate thread.

eldiablov

Contributor
Flashing my 360 has given it a new lease of life while my ps3 sits under my cabinet unplugged. Which I find kind of sad really :/

It's also amazing when you think of the amount you save on games.

twelve

I'm not dead
Flashing my 2nd 360 is what convinced me to get a PS3. When my first one had it's second red ring I bought a new one, I also bought a PS3. When the second 360 had it's 2nd rrod (4th in total) I abandoned the 360 for 6 months and played PS3 religiously.

Then Terri bought me a 3rd 360 last xmas and I love both consoles. Both are legit.

Pirating games is great for saving money but when you download every single game and never buy any you lose appreciation for them. Hence why I appreciated every single game I have for PS3. On 360 I downloaded some real shitty games, thus I lost appreciation for 360 games. I havent pirated a game for almost a year now and I've loved every game I've played this year.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
I flashed mine a while ago, a little after twelve flashed his first one....
I still buy the games i genuinely like.....And i feel the same way as twelve, i tend to enjoy a game more when legally own it. but at the same time i think the majority of that feeling (for me anyway) stems from my refusal to except that i just wasted money.