• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

God Talk

FreePlay

Hiratai said:
Depression is just built up selfishness.
Depression is a biological imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. It's not caused by being sad or mourning. You can OBSERVE its effects on the brain. You're an ignorant ass.
Terra said:
I don't think you cynics have the foggiest idea of what I'm saying
Because you're literally making no sense. You've said all sorts of bizarre, disjointed stuff that doesn't logically tie together at all, then tried to present it as your set of beliefs.
Terra said:
All I have tried to do is get you to think on a higher plane. One that the rewards don't come with World recognition or a faking V8.
... What?
Terra said:
I Mentioned earlier about an out-of-body experience I had. I went on to relate that after that I experienced some "Critical coincidences".
I never explained what they were, because I suspected that if I told you, I would be directed to the Roswell website.
Terra said:
One thing that ought to be pondered though, of all the creatures on earth, we have always been the only ones that search out of curiosity.
Further & further. Deeper & deeper. Higher & higher.
What are we looking for?
We are not the only ones.

Do you realize that you're babbling?

Slasher

Suck It
FreePlay said:
Because you're literally making no sense. You've said all sorts of bizarre, disjointed stuff that doesn't logically tie together at all, then tried to present it as your set of beliefs
Everything Terra has said has made complete sense to me. Most of it has a much deeper meaning that I would expect you of all people to understand.
FreePlay said:
....What?
What do you mean, "What?" ?
Thinking about the big picture rather than a simple God Vs. Science debate. Terra has raise all sorts of interesting intellectual points that you often ignorantly neglect or label as irrelevant.
FreePlay said:
Opening the discussion to a relevant topic is not considered in my books as "babbling"

By the way, thank you to your contribution to this topic Terra. I enjoy hearing what you have to say

Terra

FreePlay said:
Depression is a biological imbalance of neurotransmitters in the brain. It's not caused by being sad or mourning. You can OBSERVE its effects on the brain. You're an ignorant ass.Because you're literally making no sense. You've said all sorts of bizarre, disjointed stuff that doesn't logically tie together at all, then tried to present it as your set of beliefs.... What?...We are not the only ones.

You know matey, you're on the right track. Stick with things that are black & white.
Good old facts & figures.

The greatest mind of our time, if not historically, is Stephen Hawking.
I rarely read his lectures because it creates questions that bother me for days, if not months.
Not about what he proposes, but the questions that open up as a result of his theorems etc.

Here's the difference between you & me, & don't discredit yourself by mob rule criticism.

You, & most others of your mindset, absorb his facts & theories as a lesson in science.

I see him as an icon of enormous proportions, not because of his brilliant mind, but the fact that with his extreme disability, he is capable of guiding us, & to me that is an amazing "Coincidence"

A sort of "Meek shall inherit the earth" factor.

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
Terra said:
You know matey, you're on the right track. Stick with things that are black & white.
Good old facts & figures.

The greatest mind of our time, if not historically, is Stephen Hawking.
I rarely read his lectures because it creates questions that bother me for days, if not months.
Not about what he proposes, but the questions that open up as a result of his theorems etc.

Here's the difference between you & me, & don't discredit yourself by mob rule criticism.

You, & most others of your mindset, absorb his facts & theories as a lesson in science.

I see him as an icon of enormous proportions, not because of his brilliant mind, but the fact that with his extreme disability, he is capable of guiding us, & to me that is an amazing "Coincidence"

so, him being smart makes god real?

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
Hiratai: No, I've never seen my dad get shot. I've never met my dad. All I know is my dad is fucking off somewhere. My mom has told me she was going to kill herself and have had to have her institutionalized because she is mentally ill. Mental illness as said before is a chemical imbalance. Somethings trigger it like sadness and anger. But at least 1/5 people need treatment for chemical imbalances. I did the research for a presentation to teach people. For people to grasp mental illness. So there is no weird thoughts or misunderstandings that people go parading around as jokes. Yes. People actually sink that low. When I got checked into the hospital I met people who were actually quite rich but were depressed. Again. Something just sometimes doesn't click in the brain. And to resolve that. I never needed god. Not once.

In the immortal words of a shirt I used to wear : "God was my co-pilot, but then we crashed into the mountains and I had to eat him"

eighty4

What relevance does that have to do with what I said? I'm simply saying my life was harder than yours ever will be and I never once fell into "depression" - never.

TheMysteriousThug

An Annoying Motherfucker
Now that comparison of others and demeaning others is why you are a prick. People are affected differently by different things was the point I was making. Some like you may never fall in a downward spiral and progressively get worse and worse. And there is NEVER any moment to say you've had a harder life than someone else. Because it's a false confidence booster to avoid solving problems

eighty4

False confidence booster to solve problems? If it solves my problems, why is it false? Kids.

I never fell in a downward spiral? Hmm, dad gets shot, mom tries to commit suicide, I move to a group home, mom gets addicted to drugs and I have to live the life of it.

I was just perky wasn't I?

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Hiratai said:
What relevance does that have to do with what I said? I'm simply saying my life was harder than yours ever will be and I never once fell into "depression" - never.
people react differently. there is also the biological factor. some people have depressive tendencies.

eighty4

Wouldn't my mom being suicidal lead tot he fact she was in depression? Why have I never fallen into any state of this?

FreePlay

Slasher said:
Everything Terra has said has made complete sense to me. Most of it has a much deeper meaning that I would expect you of all people to understand.
Oh, give me a break. Terra has said a bunch of disjointed stuff that is completely unrelated to any recognizable religious belief structure and sounds more like a flow-of-conscious rambling than an argument.
Slasher said:
Thinking about the big picture rather than a simple God Vs. Science debate. Terra has raise all sorts of interesting intellectual points that you often ignorantly neglect or label as irrelevant.
No. Terra has repeatedly said puzzling things that don't square with claiming to believe the Bible to be divine, and ignored my request for examples of anyone claiming the things he said "people" (non-specific) have believed...
Slasher said:
Opening the discussion to a relevant topic is not considered in my books as "babbling"
Speaking incoherently in disconnected snippets of intellectual-sounding phrases is not opening the discussion to a relevant topic.
Terra said:
That speaks volumes of your ability to question your faith.
Slasher said:
You don't know anything about my mindset, and his facts and theories ARE a lesson in science. They are science. He is a scientist. He is teaching science.
Slasher said:

So you're more interested in the fact that he overcame his disability than in listening to what he actually says...
Hiratai said:
And like I said, depression is a BIOLOGICAL DISORDER CAUSED BY A CHEMICAL IMBALANCE, not something caused by being sad or grieving.
Hiratai said:
Wouldn't my mom being suicidal lead tot he fact she was in depression? Why have I never fallen into any state of this?
Why haven't you fallen into a state of being pregnant with you?

Oh, right - you're not your mother.

Terra

"So you're more interested in the fact that he overcame his disability than in listening to what he actually says."

That is not even close to what I meant.
This is pointless.:rolleyes:

You stick with what you believe in. I'll leave it at that.:(

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
FreePlay said:

LMAO! best statement in the thread.

on topic: what does god do to those who NEVER, EVER hear of [Jesus/Muhammad/Flying Spaghetti Monster/Whatever the 'real' thing is] before they die? it's not their fault. you can't believe if no one told you.

eighty4

FreePlay said:

I don't think you've read the post above mine. WHy he clearly states that depression can be genetic. I am asking HIM, to get reasons why I may never experience depression when my mother may experience it thousands of times.

I thought you were like the guy who would read and read and then come out with the grand result still. I dunno. :neutral:

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
Hiratai said:
I don't think you've read the post above mine. WHy he clearly states that depression can be genetic. I am asking HIM, to get reasons why I may never experience depression when my mother may experience it thousands of times.

I thought you were like the guy who would read and read and then come out with the grand result still. I dunno. :neutral:

there is a 50/50 chance that you would get it. if you didn't then you didn't.

FreePlay

Terra said:
"So you're more interested in the fact that he overcame his disability than in listening to what he actually says."

That is not even close to what I meant.
This is pointless.:rolleyes:

You stick with what you believe in. I'll leave it at that.:(
No, it's precisely what you said. You said you've never bothered to actually listen to what he says (because it'd just leave you with a bunch of questions that bothered you), but you're more interested in seeing him as an inspirational figure because of how he overcame his disability.

What's pointless is arguing about god with a person who refuses to define what he thinks god is, and who thinks that just because he doesn't understand something it must therefore be unexplainable.
Hiratai said:

I can't tell if you really don't get genetics or if you're just stubbornly acting like you don't.

My mother has blue eyes. I have brown. She has light brown hair. I have dark brown, almost black. She's still my mother, and I still inherited SOME genetic traits from her. You don't get EVERYTHING from both of your parents. That would require you to be two people.

eighty4

FreePlay said:
I can't tell if you really don't get genetics or if you're just stubbornly acting like you don't.

My mother has blue eyes. I have brown. She has light brown hair. I have dark brown, almost black. She's still my mother, and I still inherited SOME genetic traits from her. You don't get EVERYTHING from both of your parents. That would require you to be two people.
So that would lead you through the thought process to believe that I thought I was my mother or inherited all of her traits?

Anyways, like I was trying to get across, was that I am 3 times more likely to get this through genetics than any other type of person who had a child and suffered from depression. So if people are to get it at around 30%, 3 times of that would be 90% - more than enough to say that I will get it.

ALSO - how does being two people mean that one person would get all of the mother's traits?

Terra

FreePlay said:
No, it's precisely what you said. You said you've never bothered to actually listen to what he says (because it'd just leave you with a bunch of questions that bothered you), but you're more interested in seeing him as an inspirational figure because of how he overcame his disability.

What's pointless is arguing about god with a person who refuses to define what he thinks god is, and who thinks that just because he doesn't understand something it must therefore be unexplainable.I can't tell if you really don't get genetics or if you're just stubbornly acting like you don't.

I'll give this one more go.

Firstly, I have never refused to define what I think God is, but if you desperately need a tag for Him, the Bibles says that He created man in the image of himself.
From that, we can assume that he at least appears to take our form, but an "Image" does not mean the same physical makeup & requirements of a complete earthly being. How one appears to another can often take many forms, depending on the impression (If it's important) they want to make.
I prefer to regard him as a dormant force.
& secondly;

This is precisely what I said.
"I rarely read his lectures because it creates questions that bother me for days, if not months.
Not about what he proposes, but the questions that open up as a result of his theorems etc."

In plain simple point. An example.
If Hawking is addressing an assumed dimensional requirement to support intelligent life, it creates a curiosity in me to ponder, to what degree do we measure intelligent life in an unknown dimension, such as the one that God assured his recorders & followers, existed.

The two points here are; a deduced dimensional theory based on our physics, (Quantum or otherwise) & an assured dimension by an incalculable source.

The basic problem as it see it here, is that you have a theory & a known living human source, & that is an indispensable factor for you, because it puts you on a sure winner in these debates, because you regard the history as recorded in the Bible as little more than some sort of Jewish hoax & is completely inaccurate or fictitious.

With those parameters, you are definitely the winner. Of what, I'm not sure though.

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
Hiratai said:
ALSO - how does being two people mean that one person would get all of the mother's traits?

you get half of your mother's traits, and half your father's. meaning in order for your mother to pass on all her traits she would need at least two children. you said earlier that depression was genetic (it is) but that you didn't have it, however there is only a 50/50 chance of getting it if it is carried on one gene, if it is carried on multiple genes then the odds of getting it are lower, and could possibly be reduced to almost nothing, making it more of a genetic anomaly than an actual hereditarial trait.

eighty4

Darth Budd said:
you get half of your mother's traits, and half your father's. meaning in order for your mother to pass on all her traits she would need at least two children. you said earlier that depression was genetic (it is) but that you didn't have it, however there is only a 50/50 chance of getting it if it is carried on one gene, if it is carried on multiple genes then the odds of getting it are lower, and could possibly be reduced to almost nothing, making it more of a genetic anomaly than an actual hereditarial trait.
THAT is the answer I was looking for. Thank you.