• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Keep the change

EvilSeph

Administrator
It seems that each time change occurs, people tend to disagree and fight against it as if it were in their nature to do so. Whether the argument is that there is no point to be fixing that which is not broken or that change is a good thing as it results in improvements or something else, I believe that how someone feels about change should be examined on a case by case basis.

A couple of (somewhat) recent examples of change are Facebook getting a facelift (and the number of groups made on there that opposed it), iGoogle being revamped and the outrage it caused for those that used it, YouTube being updated and last, but most certainly not least, the switch from analog to digital television.

I find it interesting to hear what goes through different persons' minds on different subjects, so what are your thoughts on change? Why are people so against it (or at least that is what it seems like)?

eighty4

People are against change because they've molded their lives to adapt to what they have. Changing something means they either have to do it over again, or find a way to get used to what they have.

eldiablov

Contributor
If a change is going to cause any amount of hassle (which for some on the digital switchover it may) then people will put more effort into trying to prevent it than actually making the effort to adapt with it and move on.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
Change almost always has a downside, the question is "is there enough + to make the - worthwhile"

Seth

MD Party Room
I always welcome change...Change is always going to be a part of life...

I joined facebook when they made the new skin so there was no change for me..

I also welcome the change that is obama...

Vee

Humans are creatures of habit i guess.

I really like change though. I thought the the new iGoogle facelift was good.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I also joined facebook after the change so I can't comment on that.

I think change is good. I'm not sure why people wouldn't unless they are just lazy and don't want to adapt. I like the challenge of conquering something new.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
I also joined facebook after the change so I can't comment on that.

I think change is good. I'm not sure why people wouldn't unless they are just lazy and don't want to adapt. I like the challenge of conquering something new.

Agreed.

And change is going to occur throughout our lives, we have to get used to it no matter what.

Joey

Well, if you change something, and it's worse than before, then people have a right to be upset. It's not about people being creatures of habit. When things are changed, there is always compromise. Something must be got rid of in order to make change. So, if you get rid of something people like, then they'll be mad...

This is far to broad though. It really depends on what we're talking about.

Sir_Axxewraith

cant fux widdit
I joined after, and I always hate these "THE CREATORS OF FACEBOOK SAY IF 1,000,000 PEOPLE JOIN THEY'LL CHANGE IT BACK" groups. At least Myspace kept the option to switch between old and new.

Another example, Avenged sevenfold going from screaming to singing (;

Hellcat

Contributor
Humans are creatures of habit i guess.
Exactely what I had in mind saying to this!

Humans get used and live by how the things are. Change feels uncomfortable because it breaks with established patterns.

I think people who like adventures and/or exploring new stuff do also welcome change, but for the rest it's more like "stick to it".

Sometimes, like also said above, change means to go through a big hazzle of reexploring how the thing now works that you used to use for so long now and know almost blindly and now you have to look for everything again to find it - that costs time....

Adiuvo

People worry when something changes in their life, because most often they can't control it. Nobody likes being told what to do, and as a result some people try to resist. The ones that do welcome it, however, aren't liking change for the prospect of only liking change, it's because they don't like the way something is now.

mohaas05

I don't see why people hate the new Facebook. It's actually Web 2.0, so updates are live and don't require a refresh.

Change is an integral part of life, without it, we would still be making wheels out of wood.

Besides, life would be boring if everything stayed the same.

Sullivan

I am like vanden, always ready and open for a change.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
People don't like change because they probably have to get something new that costs money. Like the analog to digital TV thing. If you have an old ass TV, you have to spend a bunch of money on a digital receiver. Who the hell wants to do that? You might as well go and get a new TV, but it's too bad because those aren't free. Now you got no TV to watch if you stick with your old piece of crap TV. Change isn't just adaptation, it often comes with a price too and people don't want to pay.

birdman

The current generation (facebookers) have not seen drastic change like their parents did. People who were born in the late 80's and early 90's have lived in a somewhat peaceful, prosperous world. While their parents lived though a portion of the cold war, and many other historic events.

9/11 was a rude awakening for this generation. It reminded us all that we live in a very violent world when you step outside of your hometown. 9/11 was a world wide change that ushered in a new era in the history of mankind, bringing us out of our peaceful slumber.

Technology changes so fast in our time that we are all racing to keep up. When the iPod came out (as well as other MP3 players), people laughed off the "digital revolution". Here we are years later, with multiple websites for buying MP3's. The digital revolution has happened yet people still cling to CD's and vinyl.

Change often comes swiftly, but at the same time is often predictable. The people who fight change are the people who never saw it coming.

Change is good and bad. Without change, we would be living in caves hunting woolly mammoths while the dinosaurs hunt us. Thankfully, change happened. Because of this, I'm sitting here typing this in a house with my laptop, cooking a frozen pizza.

Accept change, you never know what it will bring.

Noriyuke

I find it interesting to hear what goes through different persons' minds on different subjects, so what are your thoughts on change? Why are people so against it (or at least that is what it seems like)?

Many people tend to dislike change because they've grown comfortable to what they already have. Gamers are comfortable buying their games, or playing the originals and not looking into mods or things of that nature, others, are used to their DVD's and small TV's and not willing to adapt to the HD era and buy Bluray or 1080p Progression DVD Players. Tapes to DVD's its been going on for ages. Most Everyone that denies change is to simplistic and cant see how it helps themselves and the community around them. Upgrading your cellphone allows you to have a new toy and allows companies to recycle old screens and old plastics and mainboards to create new and sometimes silly things, like newer digital toys or MP3 players, or LCD Keychain Photo Viewers. It helps our fast paced economy keep moving at that same fast pace.

At least that's the way i see it, i've moved on from buying different Memory sticks for different things and have stuck on buying MicroSD cards and all equivalent Adapters, i dont buy Memory Sticks anymore, i have a Memory Stick to Duo Adapter and a Duo to Single MicroSD card Adapter. Same for the PSP, except for the PSp i have a Dual Micro SD Card adapter. I Stopped buying Thumb Drives and have dedicated my time to using the USB to microSD adapter that came with my Cyclo DS. I stopped buying DVD's all over the house we have Divx Compatible USB adaptable movie players, we all thumb drives, and entirely eliminated cable in the household. Music? We have a boombox with an ipod port.

With this, we've eliminated some minor expensives in the household. I'm trying to implement more ideas as they come along, like i've found a CD deck for cars that has an SD slot. Im going to buy one when i get the money together to buy one, its only 50 buckss, but currently thats a lot, seeing as for this new month of january im already over 200 dollars in the negative.

But people are douchebags when it comes to change, simple and plain, but you know what, i take it to my advantage, it only costs me 14 bucks to buy a 50 pack of dvd's and i can stuff 2 full length movies on a dvd, and i sell dvd's for 2 bucks a movie. I make a decent chunk of change off of that. So id prefer it if noone adapts to change, i can continue to make money.