• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Error c0000135

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
So, my main computer crashed. It won't boot up, even in safe mode, and keeps autorestarting, giving me the error code "c0000135." I looked this up on the Microsoft site, and it seems to suggest that I'm missing a critical component (no idea why this is magically a problem now).

As many of you know, I fail miserably with software. I want to get it working again, but I don't want to have to reinstall anything. All of the sites I've seen point to a full-fledged system recovery, but that's something I really don't want to have to resort to.

Any pointers?

EvilSeph

Administrator
You seem to be having a lot of problems with your system. Some of the symptoms make me think it is a registry corruption issue and other symptoms make me think your harddrive may be dying. Though I may not have the full story on what happened that may have caused the BSOD. For instance, the STOP error code has an accompanying error message, what is it?

In general, when asking for compute related support, pleas provide as much information as you can about your system (whether you think it is relevant or not).

@mohaas05: Doing a repair installation would mean Teowulf would have to reinstall things... and he doesn't want to. Nonetheless, that error usually cannot be fixed without a re-install or some heavy troubleshooting that (while it would be cool to up my postcount) I would usually do on IRC because I can get instant responses.

Your best - and easiest - bet is, indeed, a repair installation or through using the recovery console - both of which require a Windows XP CD. But since the system is essentially "lost" anyway, trying some heavy troubleshooting wouldn't hurt either.

mohaas05

A repair installation won't wipe your programs. It basically just wipes your Windows folder and recopies it.

If it is a missing file, a possible solution is to place it on a usb drive, boot with a live CD distro (like Knoppix) and recopy it to your hard drive.

EvilSeph

Administrator
I never said it would result in loss of data or applications. However, his concern was having to reinstall all his applications again - and yes, he would have to do that if he performed a repair install.

Hellcat

Contributor
his concern was having to reinstall all his applications again - and yes, he would have to do that if he performed a repair install.
AFAIK the repair install only re-copies all Windows files and re-creates critical system settings, everything else is left untouched and so installed apps would continue to work as all their files and settings are still in place.

Am I wrong with this?

Hmm, I got a few XPs running in VMs, I could try that scenario....

EvilSeph

Administrator
You are correct. However, the registry, installation histories and important installation links are not left in-tact. Some applications may work fine, while others may not. In general, though, it will be as if you have reformatted your system (without the data loss) and the system would have to be re-setup again.

Hellcat

Contributor
Ouch that's bad.

Plan B: Making a backup / export of the reg.keys critical to the programs one runs (usually HKCU/Software/* and HKLM/Software/*) and import them back later?

There must be tools for this, aren't there?

* thinks of sort of the MacOS "Time Machine" for Windows....

mohaas05

Really? The last time I did a repair, everything looked as it did before the reinstall.

If not now, at some point or later you should do a complete reinstall as Windows tends to get quite bloated as time goes by.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
Well, I ended up doing a system recovery. Didn't do any purging, but it was still a pain.

I don't think I'll need to reinstall all of my programs, but I might need to do it for some.