• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

The War in Iraq

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
Simple question and discussion about The War in Iraq.

As for my opinion, I think we should stay in. Last I heard, we were doing pretty well and I think leaving early will only ruin what we've done and we run the risk of bringing the war here.

Adiuvo

My cousin is currently in Iraq, and last time I talked to him I asked the same question. He thinks we should stay, for the very reasons you've mentioned. Things have for the most part quieted down over there, but there still is alot of work to be done. If we leave now, then things probably won't go back to the way they were, and I doubt that the war would be brought here.

RoBz

sucker
I'm for it more than I'm against it. I'm happy they got Saddam and all that but, at this point I'd be fairly happy with the troops heading home.

Robby

Los Doyers!
I'm happy they got Saddam... I just don't think democracy would work in Iraq.
We shouldnt be babysitting them anymore, just send the troops back.

Slasher

Suck It
I don't really agree with the initial decision to go to war, though I do think it would be irresponsible to just pull out right now given the instability of Iraq at this point in time. Installing a western democracy into a country such as Iraq because western democracy is considered the 'right thing' is pretty stupid if you ask me. Although there are people in Iraq who are appreciative of the efforts, I really don't think the majority of Iraq people agree with the taking over and transforming of government. Just because a [temporary] democracy is installed, doesn't mean the people instantly change just like that with the snap of a finger.

Following through with a plan (is there even one?) at this point would probably be the best decision instead of just abruptly pulling out leaving the country in essentially a state of dismay.

So place me in the intermediary or undecided group - I'm supportive of the efforts in some sense, though still unsupportive in the decisions made which put it in it's current state

CASHMON3Y

I am more for it, than against it. But thats only because weave already gotten ourselves in this mess. It would be a complete waste to back out now, but I still have major doubts.

TacticalPenguin

Whether we should have gone in the first place or not is a big question and very debatable based on info we had at the time, but whether we should pull out now, I think no, we should stay - too late now, it was too late after about the first year and way too late once they got saddam. I don't want to start an argument as I'm sure that's what it'll turn into before long all on its own so I'll just say I agree with the reasons for which others think we should stay.

PSPHax0r9

Quality Haxing Since 1991
I don't really agree with the initial decision to go to war, though I do think it would be irresponsible to just pull out right now given the instability of Iraq at this point in time. Installing a western democracy into a country such as Iraq because western democracy is considered the 'right thing' is pretty stupid if you ask me. Although there are people in Iraq who are appreciative of the efforts, I really don't think the majority of Iraq people agree with the taking over and transforming of government. Just because a [temporary] democracy is installed, doesn't mean the people instantly change just like that with the snap of a finger.

Following through with a plan (is there even one?) at this point would probably be the best decision instead of just abruptly pulling out leaving the country in essentially a state of dismay.

So place me in the intermediary or undecided group - I'm supportive of the efforts in some sense, though still unsupportive in the decisions made which put it in it's current state

I somewhat agree with this.

Shouldn't have gone in, it was handled badly, but I do agree that we shouldn't abandon them. I don't agree with your statement that they don't want democracy, however, considering that 63% voted in the election...sounds like a good majority at least wanted to vote.

Overall I would say it was handled terribly but I don't think that such an abrupt withdraw is the right course of action. It does, however, get political points among politicians.

Teowulf

<span style=height:2px;cursor:default;"></span>
I don't support the war and feel it was horribly mishandled. When I initially heard about the plan I believed that there were WMDs, but felt that the real motive for war was oil and finishing what old George failed to.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
It's like having a lightbulb up your ass. it NEVER should have been put there in the first place, but you cant just yank it out, because of severe damage.

/scrubs reference
We NEVER should have entered iraq, but leaving tomorrow doesn't seem viable.

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
The americans are there for the oil. well thats my opinion. and yes im against my own country as they are out there two.

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
Nothing... I'm just saying, we're fighting our meaningless war while there are still more pressing issues. We waste Trillions on an ego trip, when we could be spending a fraction, and actually fixing problems.

Of course, "saving black people" isn't as noble a cause to American's as killing brown people...

Maybe I should peice the statement together for you...

There's an AIDS epidemic, and Genocide in Darfur... V V V

you don't honestly believe that do you?

Joey

you don't honestly believe that do you?

Well, it isn't to anybody who isn't a celebrity. Otherwise, we wouldn't be wasting time, money and lives on stupid meaningless bullshit.

Put a black face on a cause, and people just don't care. Hell, America is obsessed with celebrities, and not even Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie can make these assholes care about Africa.

But fucking with brown people? Now that's a cause Americans can get behind...

America's priorities are so ass backwards.

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
Well, it isn't to anybody who isn't a celebrity. Otherwise, we wouldn't be wasting time, money and lives on stupid meaningless bullshit.

Put a black face on a cause, and people just don't care. Hell, America is obsessed with celebrities, and not even Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie can make these assholes care about Africa.

But fucking with brown people? Now that's a cause Americans can get behind...

America's priorities are so ass backwards.

[Insert Facepalm]

Let me guess, the government did 9/11 because tormenting mexicans no longer gave W. an erection so he decided to start killing arabs too so he could once again get his jollies?

the race has nothing to do with it. if the chinese had attacked us, we'd be at war with china, if the russians had attacked us we'd be at war with russia, if canada had attacked us, we'd be at war with canada. it's that simple. and before you say something about us not helping africa, we send tons of food and medical supplies there ever year, but it's all siezed by the militants so it never reaches the people who need it. But the UN has decided to let this continue to happen and refuses to let us do anything about it, so the militants that rape and murder people are receiving all our food and medical supplies while their own people starve and are ravaged by disease. Our priorities are ass backwards? I think not.

Joey

[Insert Facepalm]

Let me guess, the government did 9/11 because tormenting mexicans no longer gave W. an erection so he decided to start killing arabs too so he could once again get his jollies?

the race has nothing to do with it. if the chinese had attacked us, we'd be at war with china, if the russians had attacked us we'd be at war with russia, if canada had attacked us, we'd be at war with canada. it's that simple. and before you say something about us not helping africa, we send tons of food and medical supplies there ever year, but it's all siezed by the militants so it never reaches the people who need it. But the UN has decided to let this continue to happen and refuses to let us do anything about it, so the militants that rape and murder people are receiving all our food and medical supplies while their own people starve and are ravaged by disease. Our priorities are ass backwards? I think not.
Well, Iraq didn't attack us... Your move, Sherlock.

Chathurga

We already know we invaded due to faulty intelligence. Every intelligent person 14 and older knows that. It's like your a genius or something.

Then what was your point? :001_huh:

Don't be a wannabe Hiratai, being abrasive doesn't make you cool.