• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

OSX or Windows?

Serideth

Here's the deal, I know for a fact my PC can run OSX pretty well with everything working, I never had any problems with Vista really, but I'm not exactly a big fan of it. With Windows 7 betas coming out now I'm tempted to try that as well.

I'll need to download the OSX ISOs and all that, so I'm asking those in the know, is it worth it now a days with 7 coming around the corner or not?

Please don't turn this into a fanboy rant.

gr34t3st

New Age Retro Hippie
I have the Windows 7 Beta and I'm very happy with it. The only "testing" I've done with OSX is my girlfriends iMac. It was different in a cool way. I still think Windows 7 will beat it out. Once they fix some of the beta bugs, it will be a damn good OS.

I don't have much experience with using a mac so I can't really compare, but I like Windows 7 and have high hopes for it.

Serideth

This ?:

win7jpg.jpg

EvilSeph

Administrator
I hate Macs for several reasons but I'm not here to troll ;)

The only reason I would choose a OS X over Windows is for TextMate. There is no other reason.

Also, that image you provided, Tenchitsu, is a Windows 7 mockup.

eldiablov

Contributor
What distro do you use Mike?

Im in the same boat as you to be honest. I think im gonna go with windows 7 though as my wifi drivers on my netbook are the only thing that arent compatible with osx86.

Although if it did work im not sure I would ever use OSX full time. I dont see what its real purpose is as an operating system.

*Waits for Chathurga*

Serideth

I see your point there eldiablov, I mean I can see why people use Linux, and obviously why people use Windows, I guess OSX is more of a bit of fun than anything else.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
I would choose windows 7 over mac osx because windows 7 just works perfect without any tweaking. But since you say it works pretty well, it all really depends on your preference.

It worked ok on my machine, but I couldn't really see myself using it as a main os.

Seth

MD Party Room
I say it not really fair atm seeing as 10.6 is going to come around the same time as Windows 7.I would say try out the all new Sabayon 4 it really a nice improvement in the linux area.Keep that until Windows 7 beta 2 comes out, It's not that far away.

Atm I think Windows 7 is the best OS out right now,I cant live without chrome after using it for weeks.The new taskbar is great and have tons of other improvements.Tho Windows Explorer still isent that great.

Also let not forget you can always duleboot all 3 os if you have the time, knowable,and kills(just kidding there not hat much skill in it)

ilyace

If I didn't love gaming on pc: OSX. It's a much better OS imo, but I haven't tried Windows 7 yet either.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I personally can't stand osx. the dock annoys me, and it just feels so poorly designed(but im willing to admit that that may be the 12 years of using win)

it also seems less power user freindly.

ilyace

OMGZ 1ghz processor to run Windows 7 NO!!!!! 128mb gfx card NO!!!! And the retard doesn't know the difference megabits and megabytes.

madsoul

Dont really like OSX, but thats just me. Windows 7 is really good so far!

and if i just could hijack this thread with maybe a stupid question...

i want to try out ubuntu. can i just make an extra partition on my hardrive and have it dualboot together with windows 7 and vista?