• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Hard Drive (Internal)Upgrade/Backing up questions

NYYFAN

I have had a 40gb ps3 for over a year now and I have got to the point where space is an issue. I frequently have to delete one games data to play another, delete a PSN game for a demo, etc. I think its time I upgraded to a new hard drive but would like some input from people here that have already done it. These are my main points of concern:

1. What type do I need? I have read some stuff online and I got an idea of what I need, but there seems to be some debate on it, like 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM.
2. Would someone mind linking me to a good one? I am looking at the $100(max) price range an 160gb or more if possible.
3. I have a ton of various data on my ps3 and know I need to back it up before upgrading. My only storage devices are my Laptop(mac if it matters) and my PSP. Would either of those work for everything?
4. I have done a fair amount of trading with PSN and have lost contact with some people I have traded with. Can I backup the game on a storage device or do I need to re-download the game from them?

Thanks in advanced for any help.

Seth

MD Party Room
1. What type do I need? I have read some stuff online and I got an idea of what I need, but there seems to be some debate on it, like 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM.
2. Would someone mind linking me to a good one? I am looking at the $100(max) price range an 160gb or more if possible.

This will work great..

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M6 HM500LI 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gbs Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives

3. I have a ton of various data on my ps3 and know I need to back it up before upgrading. My only storage devices are my Laptop(mac if it matters) and my PSP. Would either of those work for everything?

You can use your psp for game save data....If you have a ipod or a flash drive it will be better..
4. I have done a fair amount of trading with PSN and have lost contact with some people I have traded with. Can I backup the game on a storage device or do I need to re-download the game from them?

Not sure if you can back them up..But I know for sure that you can redownload them....

user friendly

I have had a 40gb ps3 for over a year now and I have got to the point where space is an issue. I frequently have to delete one games data to play another, delete a PSN game for a demo, etc. I think its time I upgraded to a new hard drive but would like some input from people here that have already done it. These are my main points of concern:

Thanks in advanced for any help.

1. 2.5" SATA drive. 5400 or 7200 is fine. You may find the 5400rpm a little quieter but that also depends on the quality of the drive. I went for a 5400.

2. I got my 250GB for $95 (CDN) taxes in. Tiger Direct (Canadian Site) or Amazon.com You could probably find a much better deal though.

3. In order to back your files up you pretty much need an external HDD, I don't think you can do it with just a computer. It has to be in FAT32 as well. If you have enough space on you psp memstick (which I doubt) you can use that but you say you are almost out of space on your 40GB, so you'll need to borrow one or something. Maybe buy one in store and return it right after you get the upgrade finished.

4. All your PSN downloads will transfer over unless it's a different console but you'll need to re create those accounts so if possible take note of the account username and password. If you don't know the password, you may as well delete the game. I'm pretty sure traded games will transfer but you can just redownload them if they don't but I know that yours will, demos and all.

I've heard people having problems with stripping the screws, mine didn't give me any grief but just be sure you are using the proper size phillips and apply enough pressure. I that's about everything you need to know.

Buy 2.5" enclosure and boom, you have an external HDD.

NYYFAN

This will work great..

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Spinpoint M6 HM500LI 500GB 5400 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gbs Notebook Hard Drive - Laptop Hard Drives

You can use your psp for game save data....If you have a ipod or a flash drive it will be better..

That one looks perfect. I'll hunt around on amazon some but I will probably end up with that.

I have a flash drive somewhere but its not to big. I have an Ipod Touch which I rarely use so that might be better.

UF: I have a 2gb memory card for my psp(plus various 1gbs), if I cleared one would that be enough for save data, or would the Ipod be better? I am mainly concerned with save data, although if possible I would like to back up the PSN downloads.

Edit: I am not worried about the actual install. I watched a youtube video and it looks easy enough

Seth

MD Party Room
Well you cant use the Ipod touch...

The psp will be fine for your game saves...You shoulent have to clear more than 20 mb...

user friendly

UF: I have a 2gb memory card for my psp(plus various 1gbs), if I cleared one would that be enough for save data, or would the Ipod be better? I am mainly concerned with save data, although if possible I would like to back up the PSN downloads.

That will for sure be enough for your saves but if you have any videos/pictures/music you need to have enough space or not care about your bandwidth.

To back up your PSN downloads, you need enough space to back them up. If bandwidth isn't an issue, just redownload them I guess. If your ipod is big enough to hold everything on you 40GB, then you'll be set. I don't know much about the Ipod file structure but it will have to be formatted in FAT32 in order to be recognized by the PS3.

How big is your Ipod?

Well you cant use the Ipod touch...

Really? Does it not have a disk access mode?

NYYFAN

Bandwith is no issue at all.

Ipod is only 8gb.

How would I go about getting the saves from the ps3 to the psp?

Seth

MD Party Room
That will for sure be enough for your saves but if you have any videos/pictures/music you need to have enough space or not care about your bandwidth.

To back up your PSN downloads, you need enough space to back them up. If bandwidth isn't an issue, just redownload them I guess. If your ipod is big enough to hold everything on you 40GB, then you'll be set. I don't know much about the Ipod file structure but it will have to be formatted in FAT32 in order to be recognized by the PS3.

How big is your Ipod?

Really? Does it not have a disk access mode?
Nope since it runs osx it uses HFS+ I think it cant be read on windows or hell even osx....Apple locked it down that why we need to shh everything..

Additional Comment:
Bandwith is no issue at all.

Ipod is only 8gb.

How would I go about getting the saves from the ps3 to the psp?

1. On the XMB (cross media bar), go to the Game section.
2. Go to Game Saves
3. Put in your memory stick (cf, ms duo, sd)
4. Find the game save you want to copy/backup, highlight it and hit the Triangle button.
5. Choose the menu option to Copy
6. Hit the X button on the memory stick and let it copy.

user friendly

Well then, no Ipod back up for you.

I back my saves up now and then, I wish you didn't have to do one by one. I'd like to just be able to choose the gamesave folder and hit triangle and go from there, one at a time is very tedious.

NYYFAN

Just backed up the saves now, no trouble.

Took like 70mbs though. Three MLB 08 the shows were 16 a piece which was most of it. Then 19 other games and 5 PSN download saves

user friendly

Just a thought here.

Instead of just re downloading everything, delete enough stuff so you can actually back up normally with your 2GB thumb drive. If you have like 4 different accounts on your PS3, it might be worth it to do it that way instead of having to create those accounts again.

Quoting myself here but I think I made a mistake. I had to recreate the accounts because I couldn't actually back up my HDD (died and I couldn't turn it on to back it up)
user friendly said:
4. All your PSN downloads will transfer over unless it's a different console but you'll need to re create those accounts so if possible take note of the account username and password. If you don't know the password, you may as well delete the game. I'm pretty sure traded games will transfer but you can just redownload them if they don't but I know that yours will, demos and all.

So yeah, you won't have to re create ANY accounts if you back it up with a storage device. Basically, what I'm trying to say here is, You're better off backing up your HDD, whether that means deleting all the PSN games in order to do so is still the better option instead of just starting over with just your game saves.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Good info in this thread, thanks. Upgrading the HDD of my PS3 has been on my list of stuff to do for a while now.

twelve

I'm not dead
I can't remember for certain but I think when I upgraded my hard drive I didn't have to recreate any accounts. They were all still there even before I restored everything. I guess they must be stored on the console somewhere rather than the hard drive.

user friendly

I can't remember for certain but I think when I upgraded my hard drive I didn't have to recreate any accounts. They were all still there even before I restored everything. I guess they must be stored on the console somewhere rather than the hard drive.

Yeah, you won't need to re create any of the accounts if you back it up properly.