• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Post Your Job

Serideth

Do you guys have any tips as far as "getting out there" goes? I wouldn't mind being a developer for hire or something like that. I'm sure there's jobs out there, I just don't know where to even start. It would be a good thing for me to do on the side while Team Duck gets itself more grounded and established ;)

Make an online portfolio, something clean and professional looking. Include releases of your work for download and maybe post a monthly blog news post on it explaining what you're working on. A lot of people take the time to read these.

Then I'd sign up on those forums that have people looking for freelance coders to do odd jobs. Even if you end up working on a stupidly simple project it's all ammo for the portfolio.

BlackBurd

Original Gangstuh
i work at a suntrust call center.

if any of you bank with them i can look at your account and make sure no one has stolen money from you or is draining your account. I can look at how much money is in your account also (but i cant take any) i can add or subtract funds that has been deposited thoug if it was recieved by illegal means.

For example if the government calls and says some money was in there from dealing drugs then i can empty your whole account. Same if you dont do your taxes.

when theres no one calling though you can do whatever you want. i go to mfm when there nothing to do :)

eldiablov

Contributor
Yeah, because everyone knows that your level of grammatical-correctness on a casual internet forum is directly related to how well you know English. :sleep:

e: o wait its just vanden

When you make several mistakes per post it's pretty obvious you lack skills of proof reading. Hence a dodgy CV and job application and then no job.

Adiuvo

As a summer job about two years ago I picked fruit. It was decent pay, around $9.00 a hour I think. I'm not planning on doing it any time again soon.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
Do you guys have any tips as far as "getting out there" goes? I wouldn't mind being a developer for hire or something like that. I'm sure there's jobs out there, I just don't know where to even start. It would be a good thing for me to do on the side while Team Duck gets itself more grounded and established ;)

Contribute to some OSS projects and the like. Those look good on resumes.

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
I was once: a drifter in an office environment, which included assisting certain important people in the building; also a shipper which included such duties like moving boxes, sending out mailings, etc; web department intern during last summer for the same business as previously mentioned; and I am now an official Apple iTunes App Store developer.

I'd go into much detail but my jobs weren't as generic, so I don't know how much it could really help any of you. But reply back if you have questions.

TheMasterChef

The Groove Jesus
I currently work at a local restaurant in Halifax. I am laid off at the moment but I am in school right so it is better this way.

I don't get an enormous hourly pay, but I do get TONS of hours therefore good check anyway.

And 90% of my co-workers including the chef play WoW. (the chef is a crazy WoW player.)

I will go back to playing it when I am finished school.

Sullivan

I really want to start going into the Web Dev business or at least freelance here and there. It seems over the past few years especially, that its been blowing up and getting bigger with more business going on.

I am 17, haven't truly had a job, done some small freelance work for some old friends in the past, nothing major, but I got paid a little. I applied at H-E-B (grocery store) about 1 week ago, I have to wait 2 weeks for them to go over my application, then take some drug tests... lmao. I am also thinking about applying at this frozen yogurt store that was just built in my neighbourhood.

How does the whole paying taxes for the revenue of freelance and web dev if you accept payments through something such as paypal work?

A_Nub

Developer
First job:
Life Gaurd at Wild Rivers (16 y/o)

Second job:
Coaching Hockey Camps (17 y/o)

Third:
Made a website for my dads company.

Now:
None :( Soon to be Apple Genius Bar worker :p