• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Post Your Job

Whisper

Logic :(
Post what jobs you had or have. Then give a quick synopsis on what the job was like along with some personal experiences. You can be as vague or detailed as you see fit.

Hopefully this will give MFM members insight on great job opportunities and lackluster ones.

Zx30

Beto
First job I had started at my late age of 17.
Jack-in-the-Box (Fast food Chain)
It was always shitty. I put up with it for a little over a year and a half. After that, I applied at thirteen places at once. Here let me tell you why it's bad.
-Customers usually in a bad temper and take it out on you.
- Gets VERY busy every single day.
-Pay is horrible for the abuse you put up with from customers.
-16 year old brats who get their first job either always show up late, always call in, or slack off while working. Which means you have to pick up THEIR slack.

Now I work at Walgreens. I'm the guy who develops and prints photos. Let me tell you, sometimes I see some weird shit in there. Hah.
Will be there for 2 years this coming April. Overall the job is alot slower paced, I get payed more, and there are less bitchy customers.

Seth

MD Party Room
I like Jack-in-the-Box ...Good food..

k

My first job was as a market research firm called CCI.

It was terrible... I'd be crammed in my little cubicle calling people all day long. I was assigned to a different survey every day, and some were up to 200 questions long. After a few months I finally quit, I was miserable.

My second job was at Mervyn's clothing store.

At first I really hated it, but then I got used to it and worked my way up to do other tasks. I stopped doing customer service and began unloading and processing merchandise trucks. Management was just ok, my boss was a bit bi-polar though. All in all I learned a lot there. It's too bad it went out of business.

My last job was at Toys R Us.

This job wasn't bad at all. I learned everything real quick and all the employees there were nice. Well except the night crew manager... She was a total bitch, but I rarely ran into her. I was pick up personnel at TRU and it was a chill ass job. Great place to work at but unfortunately they laid off 50 people. I had only been there one month so they booted me along with all the new hires.

Currently I am unemployed and not liking it. I guess I have more time for school and hobbies, but I really liked the feeling of making and managing my own money. As of now I am receiving my unemployment checks, which I plan to hold me till I find another job.

Slasher

Suck It
First job was at a grocery store called Zehrs, I was a Meat Clerk. There was no cutting of meat involved other than filleting the fish that came in, and everything else came prepackaged so it was mostly just a matter of stocking the meat shelves. There was the frozen sections, the fresh section, and the 'flex' section which was just basically the packaged meat like bacon and sandwich meat. It was pretty chill and cool, I wish I could still work there but unfortunately my family moved away so I'll be stuck where they are all summer while I'm not away at school. The pay was pretty decent and I worked my way up to a staggering $8.80 an hour. Anyways, I worked there for about a year and a half before moving away and then going off to university once September came around. (P.S. Zehrs for some reason thinks I still work there because my 10% grocery discount card still works when it shouldn't be, and they even sent me a $50 Christmas bonus just this past Christmas haha)

Second job was working at Scotia Bank. Yes, a bank, and I was a Customer Service Representative (aka a Teller). My job was to sit behind the counter and to help customers that came in and whatever it is they wanted to do with their money. That job was pretty dope handling thousands of dollars at my finger tips, and seeing how much money people had in their accounts. A lot of the limited time I spent there was spent on training, and ultimately in the end I just wasn't properly trained. I could do all the basics like withdrawing/depositing/replacing lost cards/currency exchange, but I didn't know how to do money orders, or any other unusual things that they expect you to do. It's a long story, but basically they let me go and told me to try again in the summer when I go back to my parents house. They were concerned with the fact that I was in school and wouldn't have enough time to work, etc, etc, it was pretty disheartening for them to just let me go like that. They ran out of training hours for me, and I wasn't completely trained, so they dropped me. This particular job lasted about 3 months, and seemed like a pretty boring job anyways. I don't think I'll be going back. The pay was good at $13 an hour, but I just can't stand being bored out of my mind.

As it stands right now, I don't have a job and I'm pretty fuckin bored most of the time. Once April comes around and I'm finished with my 1st year of schooling, I'll be looking for a job and I'll be working my ass off all summer long. My bank account is currently getting a little thin right now, and I really want to buff it up asap. I'm thinking of becoming a mover, or even working for the city. I hear they pay pretty well.

Darth Budd

Inna-Gadda-Davida
I was a Lifeguard for seven months before coming here, it was too hot in the summer, and too cold in the winter, but in between seasons, it was great. Oh and the whole helping people not die thing was fun too. ;)

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I've always been self-employed. My partner and I do freelance web design work for small businesses. I also run exophase.com in my spare time (which is becoming quite popular, planning on going to E3 this year). I'd like to venture into the web hosting business later this year though. Many of my clients have asked for hosting in the past and I had to refer them to someplace else. :/ So, if we can get both bases covered, that would be great.

Joey

Got my first job at Blockbuster at 18, was there for about 8 months. BWas a "4 star CSR" for the last month, which basically means you have the duties of a manager, who can close the store, but they still pay you entry level money. Was still kind of rad though, and my co-workers were off the hook.

That was in Vegas, so I obviously quit when I came to LA. After 6 months, I got a job at a factory that made airplane filters. Got fired after a month, it was absolutely horrible. another 4-5 months pasted, and I got a job at wal-mart unloading trucks, and was there for 7-8 months. Everything about that was cool, except that the store was going through a major remodel at the same time we started getting in stock for Christmas. Eventually, the physical toll was too much and I had to quit. A month later, I got hired at a Hotel as a night auditor, and that's where I am now, It's boring, and I'm there by my self, but it's easy, and the time goes by fast.

I also just got a second job as a cart pusher at the same Wal-mart I just mentioned above. I'm scheduled to work something like 64 hours this week between the two jobs (which is why I'm basically not playing any games). Trying to pay off these credit cards.

Craig Fairfax

illuminati Vereran
My first job was in the entertainment industry (circa 1993 - god knows when)

My current job is right hand man to some dude that owns some business ( you said I could be vague)

twelve

I'm not dead
Children's Party Organiser - Lightwater Leisure Centre, May 02 - September 03
Hated this job it basically involved setting up the bouncy castle, lying down and letting kids kick the shit of me.

Assistant Manager - Budgens, October 03 - April 04
My first full time job, didn't want to go into retail but couldn't find anything else to do.

Manager - The Co-Operative group, April 04 - December 04
Couldn't become manager at Budgens so changed company and could finally be in charge of running a store into the ground (it closed 3 months after I "left")

Senior Systems Controller - BOC Gases/The Linde Group/T-Systems, February 05 - Present
3 different companies for the same job. It was BOC Gases when I started, then Linde bought BOC and now I'm being outsourced to T-Systems.

My job basically entails a lot of systems monitoring and waiting for things to go wrong. Obviously I have a lot of downtime because of this so I spend a lot of it here. Sometimes I get so bored though that I find things to do, like recently I've been building Servers, removing old servers and dismantling old server racks as they become empty.

Occasionally I'll get to do some Sysadmin work. But most of the time it's pretty routine and dull. I am overpaid and underworked, and love it.

Now that I'm being outsourced to T-Systems I have a whole host of opportunitues opening up. I wont be stuck doing a job where I can't be promoted because I'm at the top already and can't change to another department because of the recruitment freeze that's been in place for the past 3 years.

Seth

MD Party Room
Children's Party Organiser - Lightwater Leisure Centre, May 02 - September 03
Hated this job it basically involved setting up the bouncy castle, lying down and letting kids kick the shit of me.

Assistant Manager - Budgens, October 03 - April 04
My first full time job, didn't want to go into retail but couldn't find anything else to do.

Manager - The Co-Operative group, April 04 - December 04
Couldn't become manager at Budgens so changed company and could finally be in charge of running a store into the ground (it closed 3 months after I "left")

Senior Systems Controller - BOC Gases/The Linde Group/T-Systems, February 05 - Present
3 different companies for the same job. It was BOC Gases when I started, then Linde bought BOC and now I'm being outsourced to T-Systems.

My job basically entails a lot of systems monitoring and waiting for things to go wrong. Obviously I have a lot of downtime because of this so I spend a lot of it here. Sometimes I get so bored though that I find things to do, like recently I've been building Servers, removing old servers and dismantling old server racks as they become empty.

[HIGHLIGHT]Occasionally I'll get to do some Sysadmin work. But most of the time it's pretty routine and dull. I am overpaid and underworked, and love it.[/HIGHLIGHT]

That what I plan on doing. Any advice to getting a sysadmin job? I takeing class for it,but anything else I should be doing?

Btw where you a unix system admin?

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
Radio Shack - July 07 - Present
There was a period from about August 08 to November where I wasn't on the schedule. Fine by me, I sometimes hated walking into that place knowing I would have to deal with jackass customers all day while I watched YouTube for hours. During my time of being "laid-off" I started working everyday at my friends Honey Farm (like bees) and there I learned the ins and outs of harvesting honey from bees. I got paid good money, great people to work for, and I now am basically immune to bee stings. Only downside is that it's active during from about late spring to early fall. Then they truck all the bees to California.

After the Honey House slowed down a bit, I got another job at a sporting goods store (like a Cabelas) doing online work for them. It was fun for like a week but now I'm so busy with basketball and shit I never find time to make it there. Good people to work for but I despise the work. The only upside is that I get paid every week instead of every two. (But it's fucking minimum wage so when I do come in to "work" it's mostly just the make-yourself-look-busy-when-boss-walks-by-work.)

Vee

Freeland Graphics Designer for 3 years now. Done some work for various companies and nightclubs based in and around London. Moving into Web Development. Seems to be abit more lucretive.

Chathurga

Freeland Graphics Designer for 3 years now. Done some work for various companies and nightclubs based in and around London. Moving into Web Development. Seems to be abit more lucretive.

If you ever land a job and need some help give me a shout. I'm damn good at web dev but fuck me is it hard to get into, there's not a job to be found.

Serideth

If you ever land a job and need some help give me a shout. I'm damn good at web dev but fuck me is it hard to get into, there's not a job to be found.

Are you joking? Loads of them going around my neck of the woods.

I work in computers for a company here in which I manage content on a CMS.
Basically I get paid for browsing the net like Phil.

twelve

I'm not dead
That what I plan on doing. Any advice to getting a sysadmin job? I takeing class for it,but anything else I should be doing?

Btw where you a unix system admin?
The key things I work with are Unix, Windows Server 2000, 2003, NT4, XP, Vista, and SAP.

Monitoring tools I use are Control-M, IBM Tivoli, Quest Foglight, HP Insight Manager, Veritas Execview and some bespoke in house stuff.

Used to work with z/OS on the mainframes but they were decommisioned in January and replaced Oracle databases.

Vee

Wicked, thanks. Is it really hard to get into? Can you give me examples of the work you've done? I've started making my own website recently and am in dire need of some aid. Could you help me?

Slasher

Suck It
Do you guys have any tips as far as "getting out there" goes? I wouldn't mind being a developer for hire or something like that. I'm sure there's jobs out there, I just don't know where to even start. It would be a good thing for me to do on the side while Team Duck gets itself more grounded and established ;)