• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PSN Accept New PSN Terms of Service, Waive Rights To Lawsuit

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
psnetwork.jpg

Sony has once again revised its PSN terms of service, detailing changes that go into effect tomorrow. By accepting the new terms, which is mandatory for accessing PSN, users will waive their rights to a class action lawsuit against the company.

The added clause, detailed under "BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION," requires that users send a notice of dispute directly to Sony's legal arm. The company wants to resolve any complaints through negotiation, rather than by judge and jury[...]

Continue reading: Accept New PSN Terms of Service, Waive Rights To Lawsuit...

Adiuvo

I was wondering when companies would start implementing this. ATT Mobility v. Concepcion did happen awhile ago.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I watched a documentary about this practice a while ago, but the name escapes me at the moment.

El Diablo

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that companies can take away your rights by throwing it in some big list of things you HAVE to agree to to use their product? I can't believe that it's actually legal for them to prevent people from filing lawsuits against them for fuck ups to try and make their name look better. Fuck that.

hush404

Eh... the way I see it... one of the few groups around whom are going to care about this are americans... Most of the world doesn't sue on a whim like they do.
I play my game consoles, if they break or I have issues with their online services... then I won't use it... simple as that.
If you feel that the rules outlined in their TOS are bullshit, there's no one forcing you to use said product.

El Diablo

I'm not using said product, does that mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion on what they are doing?

Adiuvo

Am I the only one who thinks it's ridiculous that companies can take away your rights by throwing it in some big list of things you HAVE to agree to to use their product? I can't believe that it's actually legal for them to prevent people from filing lawsuits against them for fuck ups to try and make their name look better. Fuck that.

The case was a lot more complex than that. The main argument wasn't really about the legality of class-action suits, but instead provisions of the FAA and what was considered unconscionable.

january39

eXo Staff
If you feel like you need to go to court, then do not accept the update - and register another PSN account to use in the meantime.

sonnyz

Rated Aaargh
I'm still on 3.55 so this doesn't affect me. But as for the rest of you, I wouldn't worry about it. If there is a class action lawsuit against Sony, the only people that would actually profit are the lawyers. All subscribers would get is like $5 or something. That's the way these things always end up for me anyways.