• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

BBC: 40 Percent of MMORPG Gamers Are Female

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
mmorpgfemale.jpg

According to a study recently conducted by UK-based publication BBC, nearly 40 percent of who play games online, specifically of the MMO variant, are in fact female. This is interesting, as a vast majority of people still consider gaming to be a primarily male-dominated hobby.

The study in question polled more than 2,400 active EverQuest II players, an online RPG created by Sony Online Entertainment. Chosen at random, participants in the study were asked questions about their life and study habits. What makes us question the accuracy of their methodology, though, is that those who took part in the survey were given an in-game item as a reward.

Said study also revealed that a number of females who participated were found to consider themselves bisexual - a rate of "over five times higher than the general population," according to BBC.

With the advent of the Wii and social-centric games taking a prevalence in today's society, it's safe to say that the number of female gamers has increased considerably. As much as 40 percent across the board is hard to believe, honestly, but such figures may very well be realistic for the EverQuest population.

The virtual battle of the sexes [BBC]

icedman204

<p>Did they also do a study that most that claim they're female online are in fact actually a male?</p>
<p>There's already a lot of those said "females" masquerading around in the @home universe in the PSN lol</p>
<p>Oh well, then again i do see alot of females wanting to buy the latest gadgets and games for the Wii system. I believe they all like the Wii, as for the MMO games i'm 50/50 on that info, since it is after all online and that there are alot of males choosing to play as females online. Why i have no idea.</p>