• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Consumer Clip: PlayStation Phone In The Flesh

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
[video=youtube;eVwoAIjA-h8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVwoAIjA-h8[/video]
Pry those eyes open: a video clip showcasing the long-rumored Sony Ericsson has leaked out, confirming a seemingly endless stream of rumors. As expected, the phone sports a PSPgo-esque form factor. It also leverages Google's versatile mobile OS Android, falling in line with previous reports.

Besides the gaming-tailored aesthetics, the real PlayStation magic comes in the form of a lone Android app, which boasts a straightforward library interface with XMB-style dialog prompts[...]

Continue reading: Clip: PlayStation Phone In The Flesh...

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'll be damned. The cat's out of the bag xD

Guess I was right, eh Hellcat? xD

Hellcat

Contributor
Yah, seems you've been right.

But I wouldn't call it that much a "Playstation Phone" anyways, more a "Playstation App on a PSPgo shaped phone".

So, that app "emulates" a PSP? How about PS1, PS2 and PS3 games? X360 emulation via homebrew then?
I wonder how successfull it'll be, looks kinda faily IMHO for a phone - and a gaming device as well o_O

Well, we'll see :)

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Yah, seems you've been right.

But I wouldn't call it that much a "Playstation Phone" anyways, more a "Playstation App on a PSPgo shaped phone".

So, that app "emulates" a PSP? How about PS1, PS2 and PS3 games? X360 emulation via homebrew then?
I wonder how successfull it'll be, looks kinda faily IMHO for a phone - and a gaming device as well o_O

Well, we'll see :)

Agreed.

From where I stand it should run PSOne games for now. Maybe PSP ones too once the right time comes. But with Android, this might be the ultimate PSP for homebrew.

Need I remind you that if this little beast really runs Android 3.0, it should at least have a 1Ghz CPU? :p

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I call shenanigans on this. Also, why would it say Ericson? It looks like total BS

Because all Sony phones are Sony-Ericsson ever since the Ericsson buyout years ago? Your logic to say fake makes no sense. It IS real, the proof is right there.

It even has Android Gingerbread ffs.

Moose

Meta Moose
It looks very ugly, especially with the rumoured multi-touch area in the center... they look like speakers.

Hellcat

Contributor
Yah, definitaly a fail design wise.

But if it's HW specs are neat and it's not too expensive it could be nice platform to dev on/for....

Joey

If it's affordable on T-Mobile, I'm getting it. It's kind of thick, but that's a worthy trade off if I can play games, and have a phone all in one. Looks in a phone don't matter to me. You get over that shit quick.

Function over form all day. I'd gladly give up my Nexus One for a Gingerbread phone with physical function buttons, and dedicated gaming buttons. The ability to pull out my phone, and play original Playstation games, homebrew, and emulate a massive back catalog of SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, and N64 games is HIGHLY enticing to me.

And with all that said, I don't even think it looks bad. The only phone that really blows it out of the water design wise is the iPhone 4... Everything else (especially Android phones) look basically the same to me, with minor differences here and there.

Seriously, as long as it has a good battery, it will come down to this, and a Windows Phone 7 phone for me.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I doubt you'll see an functional N64 emulator

I believe you are highly mistaken. The Android Market already has emulators up to the PSX, and with Snapdragon 1GHz processors coming (PSPhone, Nexus One, Galaxy S...) I believe you are more likely to see emulators like N64 since the phones are more capable of running those machines-

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
alright then, i take back what i said, happy to be proven wrong, when i was saying that though, i had the same performance of the PSP in mind, but, with an 1Ghz processor, it's more highly likly, also, are you 100% that it well have the snapdragon processor in it?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
alright then, i take back what i said, happy to be proven wrong, when i was saying that though, i had the same performance of the PSP in mind, but, with an 1Ghz processor, it's more highly likly, also, are you 100% that it well have the snapdragon processor in it?

The most powerful Androids have a Snapdragon in them to get them prepared for future updates and as Gingerbread which is one of the major Android upgrades in some time I'd bet the PSPhone has one. Also I'm thinking that they want to get the phone ready for Honeycomb (Android 3.0) which I've heard will exclusively be available for 1Ghz+ CPUs.

Problem is, Sony Ericsson has a bad rep for dropping the ball on their Android Phones.

Also, this maybe be me going on a whim where, but I've heard that the PSP2 will also sport a Snapdragon 1GHz so MAYBE (but I wouldn't bet on it) this phone will support the PSP2.

Wikipedia said:
The device is said to feature games graphically within the range of a PlayStation Portable,[2] which may be due to the fact that the device itself is based on the PlayStation Portable.[3] The device will also get a dedicated area in the Android Market, specifically for games for the system allowing users to download games on the go.[6] Titles shown off internally on the device, include older PSX games as well as new PSP games including God of War and LittleBigPlanet together with plans for future games incorporating augmented reality similar to Invizimals.[6] The prices of the games are also expected to be under USD$10 which is considerably less than the PlayStation Portable's price range of less than USD$40 for games.

I know Wikipedia isn't a good source of information ok? But in the remote possibility that the PSPhone does have PSP games at a >$10 price tag, this is the ultimate kick in the teeth of PSP owners.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Also, this maybe be me going on a whim where, but I've heard that the PSP2 will also sport a Snapdragon 1GHz so MAYBE (but I wouldn't bet on it) this phone will support the PSP2.

From what I hear the PSP2 may have near-PS3 level graphics so I suspect it will be quite a bit more powerful than this phone, especially in the GPU department. Even then, any form of cross-compatibility is next to impossible as it won't run Android. I mean, theoretically, Sony could devise some sort of dual boot system but the chances of that happening are slim to none. And it'd be a messy approach, for end-users and devs.