• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming Crytek Wants 8GB RAM Standard In Future Consoles

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
crysis2.jpg

Crytek graphics engineer Tiago Sousa has pointed to the lack of RAM as the 'biggest' crippling visual factor on dedicated console platforms today, telling Eurogamer in a recent interview that he'd like to see future boxes equipped with 8GB RAM standard.

"It's way too low, and the biggest crippling factor from a visual perspective. I would really like to see next-gen console platforms with a minimum of 8GB," said Sousa.[...]

Continue reading: Crytek Wants 8GB RAM Standard In Future Consoles...

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
hmm, if the next gen consoles don't come out for another 2-4 years, we might be looking at consoles having 8GB's of ram, but it's more likly it'll be 4GB's imo

also, personally, it just sounds like lazy talk on behalf of programmers, instead of loading/unloading necessary files in the background, they can just toss all the game data into the ram, and call it a day.

i mean, look at games like oblivion/fallout, huge worlds to explore, all perfectly capably with only 512mb's of ram, sure you can get fancier models and such without having to worry as much about ram allocations, but 8GB's is not necessary what so ever for a console, which is dedicating most of that ram to the game in question, and doesn't have to worry about other processes chewing up the ram.

JohnVani18

A third party dev is whining while first party devs are doing their thing just fine? Come on Crytek, if you wanted ram, why didn't you develop Crysis 2 on the PC?

JohnVani18

No, they didn't. It was developed on the Xbox360.
They just polished it for the PS3 and the PC.

JohnVani18

Ok, let's see..
Autoaim (enabled) by default (WTF?!?)
No DX11 exe
No x64 exe
No mod tools
No advanced graphics config
A 3 year old computer can run it maxed out (we're talking about a Crytek game)
Press start to begin in entry screen on pc version
Just google it..

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Ok, let's see..
Autoaim (enabled) by default (WTF?!?)
No DX11 exe
No x64 exe
No mod tools
No advanced graphics config
A 3 year old computer can run it maxed out (we're talking about a Crytek game)
Press start to begin in entry screen on pc version
Just google it..

You really have no idea who I am, do you?
I was in charge of community feedback for Crysis 2 on the Steam User Forums. The post was stickied up until the release of Crysis 2.
I don't need a list of reasons for PC elitists to hate Crysis 2.
Especially as I wrote out a similar list myself and collaborated on it with many different people.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
A three year old computer can't run Crysis 2 maxed out. That just sounds ridiculous.

It's not that far of an assumption. My 4890 runs it pretty well although the rest of my setup is a bit more recent.

JohnVani18

I built my pc back in '08, I completed it at 1080p maxed out.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I built my setup in 08 too, even without the graphics card upgrade I reckon a GTX275 could max it at 1080p considering it ran the original fine, which was slightly more demanding.

Greyone

Funny Little Green Ghouls
My gtx 260 runs Crysis 2 at max @ 1920x1080 just fine......its from 2008, like the rest of my pc.

JohnVani18

Being the community manager, you should be aware of the (unacceptable IMO) bugs and that it was developed on the Xbox360.
I don't hate Crysis 2 (or else I wouldn't buy it) and I'm not an elitist either.
I'm just a gamer like everyone else who doesn't want to get screwed like that.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
You have no Physical proof other than Conjecture that Crysis 2 was developed on 360.

You can list all the features it lacks but that doesn't prove anything Other than something that can be attributed to the developers wanting a consistent product across all mediums.
PLUS,(conjecture here) I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the reason Crysis 2 was Pushed out the door on PC with so many bugs and other things was because of EA.
If they allowed Crytek the proper time to really Fine tune it more for modern PC API's among QA,Cheat detection and such while still keeping that date for Consoles (considering it was already done and optimized for those platforms), things would've been a lot less...chaotic.

And I don't care what any of you say, Crysis 2 is actually a fun game and looks far better Vanilla than Crysis 1 ever did, for being DX9 Only at this point.
Low Texture resolution and Non-tessellated water or not.

As for the Topic, I concur with the article.
The PS3 and 360 have pitiful amounts of RAM. Texture quality, Anti-Aliasing methods and even Anisotropic Filtering suffer greatly because of these limitations.(also why everything is always rendered 720p Native or Lower.)
And while it's true that developers that spend more time working within the limits and optimizing everything will get better quality out of them(Like Crysis 2, and FFXIII on the PS3)
Without these limitations the burden would lessen greatly and give them more creative freedom to work as artists rather than engineers trying to figure out how to get their vision working with such low limitations.

JohnVani18

I already said what I had to say.
If you want, just google it, I'm not the only one saying it.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Being the community manager, you should be aware of the (unacceptable IMO) bugs and that it was developed on the Xbox360.
I don't hate Crysis 2 (or else I wouldn't buy it) and I'm not an elitist either.
I'm just a gamer like everyone else who doesn't want to get screwed like that.

You mean this list of bugs which I typed up near 6 weeks ago?

• [STRIKE]Remove "Press Start to begin"[/STRIKE] - Won't be present in Retail.
  • Remove all aim assist
  • Remove textfilter from chat by default
  • Remove mouse acceleration by default
  • Remove encrypted config files
  • Merge the userlist and the chat window of lobbies to get rid of two tabs
  • Add more advanced graphical settings other than just 3 presets - Being considered.
  • Add an option to increase the FOV
  • [STRIKE]Add DX11 effects[/STRIKE] - "Crysis 2 will support DX11"
  • Add a built in stress test a la Counterstrike: Source
  • Add toggles for crouch and aim down sights into the main options
  • Add an option to filter offensive language (both in chat and in voice sound files in-game)
  • Add ability to customize chat filter
  • [STRIKE]Add ability to remove servers from recent servers list[/STRIKE] - This is what the favourites list is for. Recent is just a history.
  • Add ability to chat to friends in squad
  • Add console
  • Add decent anti-cheat protection
  • Add sway when aiming down sights
  • Add autobalance to balance teams mid-game
  • Add ability for players to manually start the game in the lobby
  • Add refresh button for both individual servers and all servers
  • Add prone
  • Add ability to bind actions to more than one key
  • Add ability to select which team you are on
  • Add toggle for menu sway effect
  • Add ability to see and copy server IP from server browser
  • Add option to adjust HUD glow
  • Add option to fix HUD in center screen for triple monitor setups
  • Add option to disable auto-taunts
  • Add option for vsync in menu or limit menu to 60fps
  • Add health bar to HUD
  • Add a selection of crosshairs
  • Add a button to spawn a la Bad Company 2
  • Fix chat delay in-game
  • Fix USB headset issues
  • Fix game login issues
  • Fix inaccurate pings in server browser
  • Fix friends list UI buttons being offset
  • Fix server filter settings being lost
  • Fix hologram icon staying on screen after being used up
  • Fix killcam issues with out-of-sync sound and player movements being incorrect
  • Fix HUD scaling at large resolutions
  • Fix Y or U being inserted as first character in chat message
  • Fix chat disappearing during killcams
  • Fix gun icons in menus and character models being rendered incorrectly during match results with triple monitor setups
  • Fix red sight texture and armour effect textures not scaling correctly with triple monitor setups (stretched horizontally)
  • Fix new instances of background music in menu when going into sub-menus
  • Fix random disconnects from servers
  • Change the behaviour of grenades so that you throw them and not switch to them like a separate weapon
  • Enable VOIP by default
  • Enable Push To Talk by default
  • Increase the level of output for VOIP
  • Replace dogtag resources with higher resolution resources to make less blurry

There have been a few patches since then so I'm sure that some of those issues are fixed now but I honestly haven't touched Crysis 2 in ages since I've been busy with college assignments. Also, I'm not the community manager. I said I was in charge of feedback for the demo. Cry-Adam would be the community manager and also the person that I collaborated with. As well as that, I didn't say you were an elitist or that you hated Crysis 2. Re-read my post.