• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Dave Perry Says Sony To Drop UMD In "PSP2"

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
umdpsp.jpg

Rumors surrounding the next generation of PSP hardware are sticking around. In a recent Twitter update, industry veteran and Earthworm Jim creator Dave Perry hinted that Sony is planning to remove the UMD drive in what he calls PSP2. To quote:[blockquote2]I hear Sony FINALLY has the PSP 2. And thank goodness, they've removed the stupid battery-sucking UMD disc drive. I'm excited![/blockquote2]The removal of UMD would certainly fall in line with previous rumors suggesting the PSP-4000 is due for an "aesthetic revamp." But it's interesting that Perry mentions PSP2 here. Either way, we're tagging this as rumor for now. Although Perry is a developer, he doesn't work under Sony, so it's possible some facts were mixed up here.

solarnoise

I don't understand...how do they expect current PSP users to upgrade if they can't play their UMD games?

angelsniper45

a firmware update that would actually prove to be worth updating to. and maybe a voucher to trade in their old psps for one of the newer versions

Acerthief

a firmware update that would actually prove to be worth updating to. and maybe a voucher to trade in their old psps for one of the newer versions

make a super rip-off UMD to [PSP2 game pack, whatever] converter and make you buy it with your half-year lunch money.

pspnaf

That would suck for people like me who have a good sized UMD library. However, the UMD format does have a lot of limitations (it's big/bulky, doesn't hold that much information).