• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming David Jaffe Reckons Consoles Will Cease to Exist In 10 Years

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
davidja.jpg

The console landscape has dramatically changed over the last ten years. Services like Xbox Live and PlayStation Network have brought plenty of PC-like features to consoles, such as video and music streaming. Most folks don't think of their Xbox or PS3 as simply a gaming device anymore. Where will the next ten years take us?

David Jaffe of Twisted Metal fame believes the next round of consoles will likely be the last.

"Look, consoles are going away.

Continue reading...

hush404

You know... I see this thing coming... but someone has to come up with some new way to get the entire world connected to such an internet service that would be able to handle such streaming. Until the majority of the developed work can claim access to that, I think this kind of thing is stalled.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
hmm, i don't know if i agree with the idea of streaming games to be the goto in the next decade(while much more prominent, i don't believe the infrastructure is their yet. Perhaps in a couple decades...). i do agree however, that we may be in the last or perhaps second to last cycle of the concept of consoles.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
Streaming games? NO THANKS, that just reinforces the whole bullshit "You don't own a copy of the game. You get a license at which any point we can decide to change or alter anything etc blah blah" And " You don't have the right to resell your games second hand, that's illegal! BOOHOO WE DON"T GET MONEY FROM SECOND HAND SALES" No? I guess you've never heard of the first sale doctrine

If games move to streaming. I'll will not buy those devices period.
I refuse to support such bullshit.

Not to mention that not even a 20 Mbs Internet stream is enough to provide lossless picture quality these days with current streaming services.

luiscesjr

Well, in a country like mine for example it's almost impossible to stream games, internet is too expensive and of really bad quality.
And , I will always be depending on a server to play? One of the complains on this generation and a question on the next is the need to be always online to play, and imagine if Sony and Microsoft decide to make a deal with Gaikai, will they have enough servers for the entire world without any problem?
I see his point, but right now it's not really something so certain, technology has to change to make this easier...
Just my humble opnion though.

Adiuvo

10 years is a long time for internet infrastructure to improve. I could see it happening.

I doubt consoles will completely disappear though. They're turning into media centers currently and that works great for people.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
10 years is a long time for internet infrastructure to improve. I could see it happening.

I doubt consoles will completely disappear though. They're turning into media centers currently and that works great for people.

You win this thread sir.

I believe you hit the nail right on the head, consoles are turning into multimedia centers that just happen to play games too. E3 was pretty much the definite proof of that, with Microsoft buffing up the 360 with almost nothing but entertainment extras rather than games, and Nintendo actually saying that the Wii U will also support a plenitude of services like YouTube and Hulu.

Then again they are just turning consoles into streamlined and branded PCs