• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

First guitar

Frozty

So i'm getting my first electrc guitar (already have acoustic and learned to play) and don't know which to choose between a epipone les paul special II or a epiphone SG special which are the cheapest ones i could find with the best reviews but which should i get?:confused:

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
If you want a completely awesome guitar get a fender stratocaster or telecaster and replace the pickups and strings. That guitar will sound awesome and cost less.

For those, though, I personally like the SG better, just because I associate les paul with rich kids with no talent, but the les paul is a good guitar,

Dan

Contributor
If you want a completely awesome guitar get a fender stratocaster or telecaster and replace the pickups and strings. That guitar will sound awesome and cost less.

For those, though, I personally like the SG better, just because I associate les paul with rich kids with no talent, but the les paul is a good guitar,

Yeah but, why would you spend that much on a first guitar?

The Les Paul's tend to have much a warmer bluesy sound, where the SG is more classic rock. It depends on what your music tastes are to be honest.

Go to a local music shop and try out both of them, see which feels more natural. When I first got my guitar, I was stuck between a Westfield Les Paul and an Westfielfd SG, but the Les Paul felt a lot nicer.

whitehawk

I personally wouldn't go with any of those guitars, but that's just me. I agree with NoEffex, fender or telecaster. Also, I'm gonna post my advice here from the other thread:

Alright, so I've been playing guitar for a 1.5 years now, and here's the techniques I used:

There are a few important tips that I usually give to people starting out.

- Don't learn scales and basic chords first. Learn some songs you enjoy. Take a simple easy song, search up some tabs, and learn them. Even if it's just 4 chords, like "Smells like teen spirit". Realizing that you can actually play songs you love will give you the motivation to continue guitar.
- Start on acoustic if possible. It will build your calluses faster, get your fingers stronger, and give you disciprine.
- I won't say that lessons are useless, but personally I didn't learn a whole lot with my lessons. I've probably learned about 90% of what I know through self education. Perhaps lessons would be good for the first month or so however. I wouldn't know though, I took lessons after about 4 months of playing.
- If you can't play something, don't give up. Practice, practice PRACTICE. You WILL get better, despite what you think.
- Try to play at least once a day, even if it's just for 5-10 minutes. (Although try for longer)
- Tabs are great, but learning by ear is even better. Do it as much as possible.
- While I said don't start with scales, you will need to learn scales. Try starting with something simple like the pentatonic scales. You can solo over tons of songs without ever going outside that scale.

Good luck :)

edit: Youve got acoustic, awesome :) also, for tuning just use this: YouTube - Tuning Guitar(Standard Tuning and for both Aco. and Ele.

For tuning, remember, if you hold down the FIFTH fret on a string, it should sound the same as the sting below it. (Except for one case, hold down fourth on the B string [second last string, the thin one])
Here is the result of this stuff. Me playing: YouTube - NEW Canon Rock 2

Dan

Contributor
Seriously man, stop posting your channel everywhere; It's majorly pissing me off.

SeanyP

epiphones are good, i really want an epiphone coronet but they havnt made them since the 60's so they are a few grand to buy
anyway i'd say go for a les paul, but thats only cos im not into SG's.
or depending on what sound your going for the epiphone dot or 335 could be worth a look.