• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 First Proof of Concept PS3 Custom Firmware Released

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
[video=youtube;m1ZwOW3IByA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=m1ZwOW3IByA[/video]
With Sony's PS3 security snafu exposed, it was only a matter of time before a custom firmware surfaced. And that it has, as PSFreedom creator/developer KaKaRoTo releases the first-ever custom firmware for PS3.

Keep in mind, it's a rough proof of concept right now. It comes in the form of a patch file that can permanently enable the "Install Package Files" submenu on any firmware, including 3.55[...]

Continue reading: First Proof of Concept PS3 Custom Firmware Released...

B

Bizarre

This..is..amazing, speechless to say the least, I would like to say thank you to everyone who worked on the exploit(or whatever you call it) and this cfw!

rileysnotz

"Since the kernel is left unmodified, this means that this custom firmware is really meant for future homebrew installation, and it will not allow piracy. I plan on keeping it that way."

Bravo! Good stuff.

wow... can't wait to get a proper CFW and apps.... Patience....

Robby

Los Doyers!
"Since the kernel is left unmodified, this means that this custom firmware is really meant for future homebrew installation, and it will not allow piracy. I plan on keeping it that way."

Bravo! Good stuff.

wow... can't wait to get a proper CFW and apps.... Patience....
It's only a matter of time before a custom firmware comes out with the sole intent of piracy, only a matter of time. 90% of the scene wants it.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Would CFW still allow PSN connection?

I feel like its all moot if you cant connect to the internet via your device (My PSP just isnt the same since I cant connect)

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Would CFW still allow PSN connection?

I feel like its all moot if you cant connect to the internet via your device (My PSP just isnt the same since I cant connect)
yes, however, rather sony well implement means to ban consoles is yet to be seen

shady777

Hey guys I got it working. Links instructions and video available <a rel="nofollow" href="http://reviewchan.blogspot.com/2011/01/my-hacked-ps3-with-kakaroto-custom.html.">[reviewchan.blogspot.com]</a> Theres a precompiled PUP file for use which I highly suggest you use.

Hardrive

Contributor
The pkgs you want to installed have to be signed though don't they? Are there even any signed homebrews out yet? If there are, how do you go about signing your own code (just curious, I doubt I'll ever be doing it)

Bran

Yell
If someone created a tool or whatever for signing your own eboots you would not even need a CFW correct?

Hardrive

Contributor
I'm far from an expert, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but yeah, as long as the code is signed, you don't need to have a CFW. All this CFW does is allow you to install things to your PS3's hard drive.