• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Fun Creative Math Problems

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
elite, you are the worst riddle master in the history of online riddle masters. The committee would be ashamed if they knew what was happening here.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
uVMkT.jpg

Done. All squares.

elite

Oldie moldie
Josey Wales and ilyace, lol. I knew that. I just implied that it needs to be all squares. The "between brackets" implies specificity. I have no problem if he made rectangles, but squares are more challenging.

Nice job Menace! :)

I'll post my next riddle soon.

elite

Oldie moldie
This is my next riddle:

You have 3 buckets. The first one can store up to 10 liter. The second one up to 7 liter. The third one up to 3 liter. The 10 liter bucket is filled up with water.

You want to share the water with your friend EQUALLY and you only have those buckets which aren't scaled or calibrated. What do you do in order to accomplish that purpose?

HINT: Logically, there should be 5 liter of water in the 10 liter bucket and 5 liter of water in the 7 liter bucket.

After this riddle is solved, I am gonna post the hardest geometry problem ever existed. XD

Roe

1. Pour water from the 10l bucket into the 3l bucket.
  2. Pour from 3l into 7l.
  3. Pour from 10l into 3l.
  4. Pour from 3l into 7l.
  5. Pour from 10l into 3l.
  6. Pour from 3l into 7l.
  7. Pour from 7l into 10l
  8. Pour from 3l into 7l.
  9. Pour from 10l into 3l.
  10. Pour from 3l into 7l.

elite

Oldie moldie
Congrats! :)

There is more than one way though. Here is the miniature of your way:
7 0 3
7 3 0
4 3 3
4 6 0
1 6 3
1 7 2
8 0 2
8 2 0
5 2 3
5 5 0

For the real deal: You have any triangle. Draw one trisector on each angle. Join the bisectors near each other in a point. You would now have an triangle formed. Prove that the formed triangle is equilateral.

Here is an image:

Trisect2.quarter.GIF

I personally got it from a Math teacher and don't know how to solve it. I searched Google and it turned out to be a theory. I didn't look for the answer just to solve it myself.

catmonkey

Hello there, I know this thread has not beed touched for over a year, but....

The weighing answer to question 2 is: take one screw from bag 1, 2 screws from bag 2, 3 from bag 3 and so on. If all bags had screws weighing 1g each, the total weight would be 1+2+3+4....+10 = 55g. However one of the bags has screws that weigh 2g each. If this is bag one, we will get 55+1 = 56g. If it is bag to we will get 55+2=57g etc.

The answer to problem 4: (and this is not exactly the same as the one on Wikipedia). Call the 3 men A, B and C. Each of them can see the other 2 and see that they have red hats on. A says 'I can have red or white'. We know that if both B and C had white hats, A would know his hat is red for certain (as there were exactly 2 white hats). So at this point both B and C think they can have either red or white. B says so. So C thinks. If I had a white hat on, B would see this, and realise that for A to have said he had have either, one of B or C's hats must be red and it is not mine, so B would know his is red. But B doesn't know, so my hat must be red too.

Love
eva