• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Game of the Year

twelve

I'm not dead
LittleBigPlanet....

Duh. I don't even have a PS3 and I saw that one coming.
Really? I didn't. LBP has had so many underwhelming sales. PS3 GOTY should have been MGS4.
I can not believe this is GTA IV as the GOTY. GoW2 and Fallout 3 surpassed that game by a mile.

Negiotiation HAD to be involved.
Fallout 3 was plagued with bugs at launch and GoW2 isn't actually that great.

GTA4 however was really good. It might not have been as good as most people were expecting and that's the problem with hype. If you'd got that game having never seen a video, screenshot or review I'm sure you'd be labelling it GOTY too.

twelve

I'm not dead
I would also rate God of War 2 five stars higher than GTAIV, but GoW2 was released last year not this year :p

GOTY isn't about ratings anyway (GTA4 would still win it even if it was), it's about sales and/or votes (depending on the awarding body).

Seth

MD Party Room
But would you rate Resistance 2 over GOW2?

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
I still like Gears 2. The campaign was extremely fun minus the boss battles and Horde mode destroys most MP modes for different games. I don't like how they changed the regular MP though, specifically the shotgun.

But I still think that R2's coop mode is fantastic. You need to have teamwork or you won't beat the level and you need to have mixed class of players. ( medic, soldier, spec ops). I haven't even played a normal team deathmatch yet on R2.

At then end of the day, I like them both pretty much equally, but I go through periods of time when I only play one title obsessively. (like getting Seriously in Gears 1 or Level 10 Prestige in CoD 4)

Fallot is still my choice for game of the year though.

twelve

I'm not dead
But I still think that R2's coop mode is fantastic. You need to have teamwork or you won't beat the level and you need to have mixed class of players. ( medic, soldier, spec ops). I haven't even played a normal team deathmatch yet on R2.
How does it compare to Left 4 Dead?

From what I've been reading it sounds pretty similar. Except minus the zombies :p

Whisper

Logic :(
I still like Gears 2. The campaign was extremely fun minus the boss battles and Horde mode destroys most MP modes for different games. I don't like how they changed the regular MP though, specifically the shotgun.

At then end of the day, I like them both pretty much equally, but I go through periods of time when I only play one title obsessively. (like getting Seriously in Gears 1 or Level 10 Prestige in CoD 4)

Fallot is still my choice for game of the year though.
What would you suggest R2 or GOW2? Especially the one gift per christmas crowd.

Vee

GOTY should have been Metal Gear Solid 4.

I mean, in terms of actually moving the genre of gaming forward, that was at the forefront.

Though, GOTY is based on its sales..for some odd reason.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Are you even going to attempt Serious 2.0, Abe?

Nope, I have no interest in getting that. (But if the gamerpic is sick, I may give it a go. That's basically one of the reason why I wanted the original. That gamerpic was one of the better ones back in the day.)

How does it compare to Left 4 Dead?

From what I've been reading it sounds pretty similar. Except minus the zombies :p

I haven't played L4D that much, but they aren't very similar. The class you choose to play with on R2 dictates how you are going to play the level. Soldier up front with shield deployed, Spec Ops behing soldier feeding them ammo clips, Medic in the rear healing everyone.

L4D seems that everyone just needs to shoot every zombie in sight.

But communication is key for both games and I haven't played L4D with friends yet, just random idiots who like to give orders, which makes me do the exact opposite of what they are telling me.

What would you suggest R2 or GOW2? Especially the one gift per christmas crowd.

Tough call, flip a coin. Both are worth getting at some point, just pick which one you want to play first. Both campaigns end with cliffhangers and set up a third and they both have great online.

Moose

Meta Moose
I just completed the Gears 2 campaign on Hardcore... and just started on Insane. Better than the first IMO.

Seth

MD Party Room
Campaign in R2 is massive with those huge boss battles..

Bump: http://kotaku.com/5109869/here-are-your-spike-video-game-awards-winners

GAME OF THE YEAR

Grand Theft Auto IV

CONSOLE WINNERS

Best Xbox 360 Game: Gears of War 2
Best PS3 Game: LittleBigPlanet
Best PC Game: Left 4 Dead
Best Wii Game: Boom Blox
Best Handheld Game: Professor Layton and the Curious Village

GENRE WINNERS

Best Individual Sports Game: Shaun White Snowboarding
Best Fighting Game: Soul Calibur IV
Best RPG: Fallout 3
Best Shooter: Gears of War 2
Best Team Sports Game: NHL 09
Best Action Adventure Game: Grand Theft Auto IV
Best Driving Game: Burnout Paradise
Best Music Game: Rock Band 2
Best Game Based on a Movie or TV Show: LEGO Indiana Jones

AND THE REST

Studio of the Year: Media Molecule
Best Multi-Player Game: Left 4 Dead
Best Independent Game: World of Goo
Big Name in the Game (Female): Jenny McCarthy
Big Name in the Game (Male): Kiefer Sutherland
Best Performance by a Human (Female): Debbie Mae West
Best Performance by a Human (Male): Michael Hollick
Best Original Score: Metal Gear Solid 4
Best Soundtrack: Rock Band 2
Best Graphics: Metal Gear Solid 4

Bump: http://kotaku.com/5109869/here-are-your-spike-video-game-awards-winners

GAME OF THE YEAR

Grand Theft Auto IV

CONSOLE WINNERS

Best Xbox 360 Game: Gears of War 2
Best PS3 Game: LittleBigPlanet
Best PC Game: Left 4 Dead
Best Wii Game: Boom Blox
Best Handheld Game: Professor Layton and the Curious Village

GENRE WINNERS

Best Individual Sports Game: Shaun White Snowboarding
Best Fighting Game: Soul Calibur IV
Best RPG: Fallout 3
Best Shooter: Gears of War 2
Best Team Sports Game: NHL 09
Best Action Adventure Game: Grand Theft Auto IV
Best Driving Game: Burnout Paradise
Best Music Game: Rock Band 2
Best Game Based on a Movie or TV Show: LEGO Indiana Jones

AND THE REST

Studio of the Year: Media Molecule
Best Multi-Player Game: Left 4 Dead
Best Independent Game: World of Goo
Big Name in the Game (Female): Jenny McCarthy
Big Name in the Game (Male): Kiefer Sutherland
Best Performance by a Human (Female): Debbie Mae West
Best Performance by a Human (Male): Michael Hollick
Best Original Score: Metal Gear Solid 4
Best Soundtrack: Rock Band 2
Best Graphics: Metal Gear Solid 4

NYYFAN

Everyone seems to be so against GTA IV but honestly the game was one of the best of the year. The best? It comes down to personal opinion and I am inclined to agree. Sure it was not as fun as some of the other in the series, but the main story was quite good. I think a lot of you were hyped beyond belief and consequently had no choice but to be let down.

My GOTY which I am sure no one agrees with
GTA IV
Madden 09. No matter what game I buy, I always come back to this game. It is far from perfect and has some flaws but it was fun and a game that I get a lot of play time out of. It should not be GOTY at all but for me personally it was. Since August I have bought Bioshock, Dead Space, LBP and I have barely played those for half an hour. (LBP an hour or two) Madden has just sucked that much time up
MLB 08 The Show: Same as Madden. This sucked up about 3 solid months in my ps3 and was the perfect baseball experience. No major flaws at all and is the best baseball game of all time imo.
Burnout Paradise: One of the best racers in years and the updates keep me coming back, when I am not playing Madden.

Those are my main ones but from my brief time with Bioshock and Dead Space I am sure those will jump on my list.

MGS4 and LBP both got boring fast for me. MGS4 for me was one hell of a game but I did not feel like there was enough "game". Personally I felt it was amazing, yet lacking in the fun factor. LBP simply is boring. I played the first 3-4 areas(Gardens, Wedding, etc) and it was fun for awhile but got boring shortly there after. I tried the online and the levels were nearly all the same. Game just did nothing for me

Whisper

Logic :(
I love GTA4 but it just lacks something that made all the other 3D predecessors GOTY quality. I can't put my finger it, but I think it has to do with the realism.

Madden is alright but I can buy the last one for 5 bucks and experience nearly the same game.