• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

[GDC] OnLive - Server-based Gaming Announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I'm just recalling the announcement from memory so be sure to visit the link below for the full read.

For all of you with crappy laptops or old desktops, your days of unable to game may soon be over. OnLive will offer a server-based gaming solution that will allow you to connect to their service and play some very demanding games that your system could normally not run. Basically - connect to their service, they stream the game to you over the internet and you control the game as well. They're claiming a low latency (which is a must-have for this as you don't want delay in your actions and what is shown) and can scale the video quality down based on your internet speed.

So basically, pay a monthly/yearly subscription to the service and they turn your crappy laptop into a gaming machine (so long as you have a solid connection). They upgrade their PC machines every 6 months so you'll always be updated to play that new demanding Crysis game.

Introducing OnLive... and the End of Consoles? - Video Game News, Video Game Coverage, Video Game Updates, PC Game News, PC Game Coverage - GameDaily

------------------------

Reaction: Finally! Well sort-of...

I've been thinking of ways to do this for a while as I actually leave my dorm for home some weekends and leave my gaming PC up at school. I bought a webcam partly for this reason, hoping I could put it infront of my monitor and then just VNC/remotely connect to my desktop at school and use my laptop to control it while watching a live feed of my webcam...that didn't work out due to latency and delay of the camera :(

I'm saving my opinions on how useful this will be until I see it in action on an average home connection. I don't want a crappy video of me playing Crysis relayed to my computer, I'd want a true high-res video but that is always hard without pre-buffering the video on lower connections.

Joey

I'm probably being a little snobbish here, but 720p isn't that high of a resolution, and quite honestly looks terrible on my monitor...

My internet connection isn't fast enough for the "high resolution" version either.

I'll stick to my own PC, thanks.

Well, I have some bad news for you, most games these days don't even render at 720p. Most render even lower, and you have to upscale it to 720p, or 1080p.

EvilSeph

Administrator
Time to confuse people with a little magic trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.