• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gears of War 3

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Adam Fenix

f3vc0.jpg

Edit - Wow, we posted at the same time. Pretty random. I like it. I'll go find the "Commando Dom" pic as well.

Edit 2 - This is either Dom when he was a Commando at around age 17-18 or his older brother Carlos who died at Aspho Fields.

VaTmd.jpg

Edit 3 - It's Commando Dom and it's the GameStop bonus.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Totally not what I was expecting. I want this game already.

Robby

Los Doyers!
- 435K people earned the Beta exclusive Thrashball Cole skin to use in the retail game when it launches in September
- 234K people earned the Beta exclusive Gold Retro Lancer to use in the retail game when it launches in September

I was surprised by that. I would have thought more people would have unlocked those, good thing I did :)

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
to be honest, that article is really making gears out to have done alot more than it really has, cover system's have been around for a long time, "horde" mode is just a fancy way of playing against bots, and for revive, i'll admit that i can't think of a game which featured co-op revival before gears came out, but i'm fairly certain their have been several before gears.

also, he only really references a few games that have apparently "adapted" what gears did, firefight i'll agree was probably a result of gear's horde mode, but i'd doubt nazi zombie's being heavily influenced by it(considering cod: WaW was released a few days after gears 2). for cover systems, well, like i said, they were around long before gears, so trying to claim games after gears release were only putting cover systems in because gears had the cover system is really stretching it. seriously though, a few games using similar mechanics doesn't constitute that it was because of gears that they implemented said features.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Name a better cover system than Gears, it's perfect.

Edit - You've never even played a Gears game on that tag in your signature?

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Name a better cover system than Gears, it's perfect.
i didn't say the gears implementation was bad, just that it's not the first time that cover systems in general had been used, and even the article mentions that killswitch's cover system was the inspiration for their cover system.

my issue with the article is that it makes it out as if gears is the sole reason why shooters coming out after gears featured cover systems, and yea, i'm sure gears implementation probably influenced some of them, but it wasn't the first to use such a system.

at the same time, even some of the games coming out post gears release still used crappy cover system mechanics, and for games that use similar cover mechanics i can't say if they would use the same mechanics if gears had not been released.

i mean from the point of view of a game designer/programmer, to me, it seems that such a cover system mechanics would have been an obvious inclusion after some play testing(jumping over cover, moving between cover, and such, any good tester would probably add these as suggestions to add to the game's mechanics as well, and who knows how many games did have people that suggested such mechanics, but were ignored, or at the time, the game was too far into development to change such mechanics.)

Robby

Los Doyers!
to be honest, that article is really making gears out to have done alot more than it really has, cover system's have been around for a long time, "horde" mode is just a fancy way of playing against bots, and for revive, i'll admit that i can't think of a game which featured co-op revival before gears came out, but i'm fairly certain their have been several before gears.

also, he only really references a few games that have apparently "adapted" what gears did, firefight i'll agree was probably a result of gear's horde mode, but i'd doubt nazi zombie's being heavily influenced by it(considering cod: WaW was released a few days after gears 2). for cover systems, well, like i said, they were around long before gears, so trying to claim games after gears release were only putting cover systems in because gears had the cover system is really stretching it. seriously though, a few games using similar mechanics doesn't constitute that it was because of gears that they implemented said features.
Gears has the best cover system any game can have, the horde mode was was fun especially when you can play with friends, and revive is just a added plus.

Gears just implemented its feature's to near perfection. It did influence some games after it's arrival as when I play certain games, I can say "Hey that reminds me of Gears"

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Here's what the Infected Omen gun skins will look like with the Epic Edition. I'm definitely going with the Limited Edition to get Adam Fenix. He looks like a salty old man.

TmJBF.jpg

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Yeah man. Horde 2.0 looks like a true winner. Adding tower defense elements, bosses every 10th wave, etc.

With how fun the beta was, this video, and wrapping up the story arc; I can't see how this game would be bad.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
it's playable on the show floor (horde) so I'll see if I can get hands-on but it was another long wait last I checked. The new beast mode is awesome as well (the improvements/changes they made)

Robby

Los Doyers!
it's playable on the show floor (horde) so I'll see if I can get hands-on but it was another long wait last I checked. The new beast mode is awesome as well (the improvements/changes they made)

If you can, that would be awesome.

---------- Post added at 11:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:23 AM ----------

Yeah man. Horde 2.0 looks like a true winner. Adding tower defense elements, bosses every 10th wave, etc.

With how fun the beta was, this video, and wrapping up the story arc; I can't see how this game would be bad.
Yeah this game is on the top of my list this year.

I especially love being able to build turrets and such, that's going to be fun. And that Brumark... oh my I want to kick some ass lol