• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 George Hotz declares "war" on Sony

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
George Hotz had this to say on the removal of the OtherOS on all PS3 models.

But about one hour later he had this to say in a new blog post:

GeoHotz said:
A note to people interested in the exploit and retaining OtherOS support, DO NOT UPDATE. When 3.21 comes out, I will look into a safe way of updating to retain OtherOS support, perhaps something like Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. I never intended to touch CFW, but if that's how you want to play...

Interesting update...

wow look at all the hateful comments in that page.

It was going to happen sooner or later. Sony should of know the power of linux.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
If he does decide to make a cfw, I wish him the best of luck with it.
Also, most of the hateful comments about him are ridiculous. Personally I think I would of released it too if I had a chance.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Imma stay neutral when it comes to this... After all I don't want to lose OtherOS but I also don't want to lose PSN.

Maybe Hotz will be able to give us the best of both worlds... Maybe even an unlock OtherOS :D

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
would it even matter for slim users?

MenaceInc

Staff Member
would it even matter for slim users?

As far as I know, the only major hardware changes between the phat and slim was the removal of the GS chip which helped with emulation of the PS2. There was no reason that OtherOS couldn't of been supported on the Slim.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anyone.

Adiuvo

He's an idiot. Especially via his justification for it. It's obvious that he's the cause of this as there's no point in removing an already existing feature via a software update.

He certainly thinks highly of himself.

He's an idiot. Especially via his justification for it. It's obvious that he's the cause of this as there's no point in removing an already existing feature via a software update.

He certainly thinks highly of himself.

Pretty much. I wouldn't place the full blame on him for this move by Sony, but it definitely had an impact. He is releasing security flaws in Sony's hardware, does he just expect them to ignore this and wait until it's too late?

Judging on how the PSP's security was compromised, I wouldn't put it past Sony to employ a highly aggressive plan of action. For Sony to say to it's developers "We have no piracy" is a very useful edge in the market.

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
My take:

My reply to a geohot hater.
I disagree too. If Nintendo blocked games (just an outrageous example) from their Wii when Team Twiizers released their exploit, would you blame Team Twiizers?

Sony took unnecessary actions against a security flaw which only could be exploited by a non-user friendly hack, which only enabled further research of hacks, which could possibly be used without George's exploit. Therefore if an exploit was found not having to do with Linux, Sony would of fought a worthless cause by upsetting a large amount of users.

So if you guys want to jump on the Mar"cry" hate bandwagon, remember that although George is not very responsible for this, he is obviously trying to help the situation.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
My take:

My reply to a geohot hater.

The reason Sony is closing it up is because there are holes in it that are not found. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the actual otheros is hardware and as such, is subject to unfixable holes, so the only way to patch it up is by closing it off completely. It sucks but it makes sense. Hotz isn't trying to help the situation. He's trying to help his situation.

Lachrymose

smokeMeth();
The reason Sony is closing it up is because there are holes in it that are not found. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the actual otheros is hardware and as such, is subject to unfixable holes, so the only way to patch it up is by closing it off completely. It sucks but it makes sense. Hotz isn't trying to help the situation. He's trying to help his situation.

He's not obligated to do anything. AFAIK (need conformation), The actual exploit probably could be modified to load future firmwares (decrypt them and stuff, as if plans on a custom firmware, he could load other ones), so even then further security research could be made. Come to think of it, that's a little bit of a guess and going with my gut. Perhaps someone could clear this up?

Don't take me as a geohot lover, but I just hate it how people that praised this exploit at first are now like "omg it's all your fault, diediedie", and those users probably don't even run Linux on it.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
Don't take me as a geohot lover, but I just hate it how people that praised this exploit at first are now like "omg it's all your fault, diediedie", and those users probably don't even run Linux on it.

Those people are simply annoyed because the exploit wasn't released yet.

Spiros

Maiki
this is very interesting to say the least, looks like things will be moving along.

Those people are simply annoyed because the exploit wasn't released yet.

well it was released, right? it just hasnt progressed to the point that the majority of people(i'm not saying everyone, but most people who are actually interested in this hack) are hoping for...homebrew, emulators, and ofource iso loading.

Hotz isn't trying to help the situation. He's trying to help his situation.

Wouldn't you say he's trying to do both, i know it seems like he does it for the fame, but he's offering to look into a way to have the latest firmware with otheros, I'd say that would help the situation.

ps - cfw on the ps3 sounds great to me, homebrew, i could finally play that manchester united blu ray(region b) on my ps3(region a), that would be great, running emulators straight from the xmb, there will be alot of possibilities if this hack keeps progressing. anyway im not trying to sell it to you, just my opinion.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
this is very interesting to say the least, looks like things will be moving along.

well it was released, right? it just hasnt progressed to the point that the majority of people(i'm not saying everyone, but most people who are actually interested in this hack) are hoping for...homebrew, emulators, and ofource iso loading.

Wouldn't you say he's trying to do both, i know it seems like he does it for the fame, but he's offering to look into a way to have the latest firmware with otheros, I'd say that would help the situation.

ps - cfw on the ps3 sounds great to me, homebrew, i could finally play that manchestery united(region b) on my ps3(region a), that would be great, running emulators straight from the xmb, there will be alot of possibilities if this hack keeps progressing. anyway im not trying to sell it to you, just my opinion.

CFW = ISO's. I have heard of no cases otherwise. As soon as that happens the scene will go to shit because of the type of people associated with them.

The reason 360's didn't go to shit was because the hack isn't exactly something your standard noob knows how to do, and as such, those kind of people aren't there, as opposed to the PSP, which is a prime example of the kind of scene you don't want to turn out as.

Spiros

Maiki
i agree that the psp scene has gone steadily downhill since cfw. but i really dont see the ps3 going that way. whatever this hack yields, i dont see developers dropping support for the ps3. maybe its just wishful thinking.

anyway it is all speculation at this point, who knows.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
i agree that the psp scene has gone steadily downhill since cfw. but i really dont see the ps3 going that way. whatever this hack yields, i dont see developers dropping support for the ps3. maybe its just wishful thinking.

anyway it is all speculation at this point, who knows.

How would it be any different?

Spiros

Maiki
well, my reasoning is that many consoles in the past have had to deal with piracy, but didnt turn out the way the psp has. i dont think the ps2 is a failure, but piracy on it is as simple as installing a modchip and burning a dvd that costs cents. games are still being released for it. i guess thats why i assume the ps3 will do just fine.