• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 George Hotz declares "war" on Sony

RoBz

sucker
damn...i'm going to trust geodude on this one...at least for a little while, i'll probably cave eventually due to no cod but we'll see.

not much of a PS2 community, homebrew and etc.

wish it was tho. be kind of fun.

Dan

Contributor
well, my reasoning is that many consoles in the past have had to deal with piracy, but didnt turn out the way the psp has. i dont think the ps2 is a failure, but piracy on it is as simple as installing a modchip and burning a dvd that costs cents. games are still being released for it. i guess thats why i assume the ps3 will do just fine.

The 'scene' is the homebrew scene, which the PS2 did not have. It was still popular as it only had XBOX to compete with after it came in.

The PSP scene was slaughtered due to the sheer lack of respect for itself, and the devs, and all people cared about were ISOs. Take Davee and his HEN. The majority of people pretty much hated him, due to the fact that he didn't include an ISO loader.

You said yourself, PS2 pirating costs discs. PSP pirating costs fuck all, that's why it's done.

Adiuvo

My take:

My reply to a geohot hater.

The problem with that is that disabling a core feature that makes the system what it is is not happening here. They're disabling a feature that nobody really expected them to include anyways and showed a great deal of trust that it would not be messed with. Then, unfortunately, Geohot takes it upon himself to violate this trust, ruining things for everybody.

Mr. Beefy

Suck It Trebek
If geohot wouldn't have exploited it someone else would have eventually. You people really don't believe that it would have stayed impossible to hack forever, do you?

Dan

Contributor
That's true, but he should have kept it to himself and quit boasting. It doesn't take a genius to figure out Sony would have eventually done something.

Hellcat

Contributor
In my understanding of things we are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from a CFW.

But yes, taking Linux away is just WRONG!
I bought the PS3 knowing about that feature and it was one of the reasons to get it, they can't just "break" their device by removing that feature - I paid for it!

Not updating (like bluntly suggested by Sony) is no valid option either as THEN you'd loose the feature of playing recent games and accessing PSN.

Well, for the time being my Phatty will not be getting any updates any time soon - but now the decision who gets the 10G partition of the 250G HDD isn't that hard anymore.

Fortunately I also have a Slim PS3 - that has no OtherOS anyway, so nothing to loose - so I will be able to have both, but unfortunately that doesn't go for everyone....

Spiros

Maiki
In my understanding of things we are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar away from a CFW.
that was my understanding aswell, but geohot made it sound otherwise.

I just checked geohots blog for a quote, seems he had more to say on the matter. he added:
Two things, some people seem to think CFW will enable some sort of piracy. It won't. It'll just be a custom version of 3.21 that doesn't lose OtherOS support. Hacking isn't about getting what you didn't pay for, it's about making sure you do get what you did.

And this is about more than this feature right now. It's about whether these companies have the right to take away advertised features from a product you purchased. Imagine if an exploit were found in Safari on the iPhone, but instead of fixing it, Apple decides to pull web browsing altogether. Legally, they may be within their right to do so, but we have to show them it's the wrong move for the future of the product and the company.
should be pretty reassuring for those worried it will lead to piracy, although i think everyone knows that, one way or another, cfw WILL lead to piracy. looks like pandoras box has been opened!(what a line!:))

I agree with him 100% about how wrong sony's move is on removing otheros. not that i cant live without it, but it was one of the many features that sold me on the ps3.

anyway, back to my first point. geohot does make it sound like cfw is closer than I thought. what do you think?

Hellcat

Contributor
I think CFW != CFW.

What he seems to understand under the term "custom firmware" seems to be something else than PSP used folks are.

Sounds like he's "only" planning on slamming up a patched 3.21 that does NOT disable OtherOS - good enough for me :D

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I think CFW != CFW.

What he seems to understand under the term "custom firmware" seems to be something else than PSP used folks are.

Sounds like he's "only" planning on slamming up a patched 3.21 that does NOT disable OtherOS - good enough for me :D

Exactly what I thought... His view of a CFW (at least for now) is basically the same OFW you've all these years.

karnbmx

ceebs. :)
I am going with George on this one... For several reasons:

1. Sony is stupid in taking out OtherOS just because there was a hack found on it. If I were them, I would FIRST look at how the hack will slowly turn out to be and THEN take action accordingly. I mean, we even haven't gone around to running anything major from this exploit at the moment, so why fret?

2. The hack isn't exactly user-friendly. For a standard user, they would need to have at least some basic knowledge of Linux and the command line interface. This includes how to SAFELY run code from the command line without screwing something up.

3. The hack is not widely available. For the first part, this hack will ONLY work on the Phat systems, not the slims. This means that people who do own a PHAT console (that arent many compared to the SLIM model owners) are the liable group for this exploit.

So my point is, Sony is panicking too much that this exploit will bring more harm than good (which is understandable considering what became of the PSP). However, they should control it through some other means (that is, not through removing OtherOS).

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
3. The hack is not widely available. For the first part, this hack will ONLY work on the Phat systems, not the slims. This means that people who do own a PHAT console (that arent many compared to the SLIM model owners) are the liable group for this exploit.

Wrong. For now there are much more phat owners with OtherOS support than slim owners.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
well, my reasoning is that many consoles in the past have had to deal with piracy, but didnt turn out the way the psp has. i dont think the ps2 is a failure, but piracy on it is as simple as installing a modchip and burning a dvd that costs cents. games are still being released for it. i guess thats why i assume the ps3 will do just fine.

That's not very simple. In fact, that's rather complicated. It involves circuit work (Well, soldering) that most kids don't know how to do, or don't want to do because it's unsafe.

360: Requires a bunch of wires and physically removing your drive from your 360 to flash it. Not that easy for a newbie.
PS2: Requires soldering a modchip to specific points on the board - note that most kids can't even read the diagrams that are on the guides, let alone operate a solder.
PSP: Have a friend change your battery's serial number and copy something to your memory stick..

The PSP is by far the easiest, that's why it's the worst. PS2 being the hardest. Back in the day the PSP was even easy to hack. All you had to do was run a rather stable tiff that crashed once in a blue moon that would enable hen, then you could run a 1.50 installer and viola. Then just update to cfw. That's just one of the many times that it was made easy.

While I agree with Hellcat, the term 'Read it before you buy it' applies. Even though it sucks and I'd be pissed had I had a PS3, they still are in their full right to do it. For all we know it's an april fools.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
While I agree with Hellcat, the term 'Read it before you buy it' applies. Even though it sucks and I'd be pissed had I had a PS3, they still are in their full right to do it. For all we know it's an april fools.

I doubt it's an April Fool's joke. It's a terrible buisiness move to play a joke on your customers that will likely enrage some of them. If anything they will realise they made a mistake and call it an April Fool's joke.

Spiros

Maiki
The PSP is by far the easiest, that's why it's the worst.

That's true, I actually hadn't thought of it that way. but it still remains to be seen if/when geohot or anyone else releases a cfw, if it could be applied as easily as cfw on the psp. the ps3 is still considered to be the most secure console available, and the hack in its current state requires a fair amount of soldering. we'll have to wait and see if it will remain that way or if another exploit will be found not requiring the user to open the ps3(not that i have a problem opening the ps3 and soldering). im skeptical though.

NoEffex

Seth's On A Boat.
That's true, I actually hadn't thought of it that way. but it still remains to be seen if/when geohot or anyone else releases a cfw, if it could be applied as easily as cfw on the psp. the ps3 is still considered to be the most secure console available, and the hack in its current state requires a fair amount of soldering. we'll have to wait and see if it will remain that way or if another exploit will be found not requiring the user to open the ps3(not that i have a problem opening the ps3 and soldering). im skeptical though.

I'm giving a reason as to why Sony wouldn't want this to happen, not how bad I think it would be.

Spiros

Maiki
I'm giving a reason as to why Sony wouldn't want this to happen, not how bad I think it would be.

Oh, I misunderstood, ofcourse I can understand why sony wouldnt want this. I just thought you were arguing about how bad it would be for the future of the ps3. My bad.

Bill

Sorry, not worth it. You have tuned me out already PS3 hacking scene. Great job so far.

MiKeY188

S For So Not Mature
He's an idiot. Especially via his justification for it. It's obvious that he's the cause of this as there's no point in removing an already existing feature via a software update.

He certainly thinks highly of himself.

Hes hardly an idiot the guy has done some awesome things which i though wasnt going to happen. I do agree that he may be the cause of this sony's hardware has been breeched and they are not happy about it which is understandable as they keep getting pwned lately.

How ever im not mad at geohot at all, Everyone im sure even you would of liked to see your PS3 get some good homebrew games or some custom themes which im sure would of happened after some time of him working with this exploit. Perhaps a ISO loader would of came around im sure it wouldnt come from geohot and id say that it wouldnt be n00b proof like the PSP hacking.

Overall i dont care abouts sony decision i can live without my PS3 being hacked but i sure would of likes to seen some good hacks for it, lets just hope geohot finds a way to update safely.

Adiuvo

You can be intelligent and still be an idiot. He is intelligent, no doubt about that, but the size of the chip on his shoulder makes him an idiot. He's doing this for the fame, nothing else. That attitude isn't worthy of any type of respect at all.