• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

God Talk

Tsunaii

eMummeh
actually you will probably find our brains are connected via a psychic link that we are totally unaware of. well most of use are unaware of. then again i am a biased opinionated person, believing that there is not life after death rather that it is possible to not die but merely evolve to another level of being. things happen for a reason, to lead you where you ought to go, its up to us to follow our instincts in order to evolve. we chose to ignore coincidences and never act on intuition, we want to prove everything, we cannot evolve, easy as that. Evolution is not learning new things, its knowing you already know these things, and being able to move on. Creavolution. I believe.

madsoul

Slasher said:
What if the said paranormal event is observed by several individuals at the same time? Surely our brains aren't interconnected, so how could this possibly happen?

im very sure our brain can telepathecly speak to each other on some level like ants and other animals. we just cant control that power as humans or its not as strong for us. like some people feel strange when a close person from your family dies before we even know it. atleast i have once feelt really bad for no reason and later on i get to know that my uncle had died when his heart stopped.

anyway, have you personally experienced something with ghosts where alot of other people saw the same thing?

Slasher said:
If they were in fact connected than wouldn't this be in favour of religious aspects including us all being children of god and having Jesus a part of us?

uhm... if your religous ofcourse you can put it that way... me who is not would more say that we are all humans and we all think the same basicly deep down. we all carry the same brain but we all fill it with diferent knowledge about the world around us. but deep down we are all the same.

like i said with ants for example. they are like one giant ant together. like birds who fly together. they all communicate on a higher level then we know of, but im sure we also have that power too.

Slasher said:
In addition to this, what about actual physical objects being moved or even thrown right before your eyes? This is without a doubt physical and undeniable.

again, have YOU personally seen this happen for real? if it have ever happened im sure there is a good explanation for it that you dont consider at the moment since you so much want it to be paranormal.

Slasher said:
I once again stand by my point of the world being much more than we could ever possibly comprehend.

i agree with you there...

Slasher said:
Leading me to believe in God to at the very least a certain extent.

...but what the hell has god anything to do with things we dont know anything of yet? there are ALOT of things we thought houndreds of years ago was paranormal and strange that we now know how it really works through science.

the basic "god" from the begining was the sun VS the darkness. sun being the god and darkness being satan or whatever. back then we didnt know how our world really worked, know we know alot more and can actually understand almost how we ended up on this planet and how everything works around us.

Slasher

Suck It
madsoul said:
im very sure our brain can telepathecly speak to each other on some level like ants and other animals. we just cant control that power as humans or its not as strong for us. like some people feel strange when a close person from your family dies before we even know it. atleast i have once feelt really bad for no reason and later on i get to know that my uncle had died when his heart stopped.
Wow, that's pretty contradictory that you believe something scientifically unproven with no evidence to support it, and yet you disagree with religion based on that.

madsoul said:
anyway, have you personally experienced something with ghosts where alot of other people saw the same thing?
Yes. My buddy slept over one night years ago and we both saw the same little boy that I had seen on other occasions.

madsoul said:
uhm... if your religous ofcourse you can put it that way... me who is not would more say that we are all humans and we all think the same basicly deep down. we all carry the same brain but we all fill it with diferent knowledge about the world around us. but deep down we are all the same.
So we are all the same? The only similarity I think we all inherent is that we are all human beings. Our anatomy is all basically the same, but as far as morals, cultural differences, and values, they are all based on how you were raised. There is very little nature involved, mostly nurture. I think my point stands as far as a religious aspect is concerned, it's supporting that theory if we can interact on a sub-conscience level.
madsoul said:
like i said with ants for example. they are like one giant ant together. like birds who fly together. they all communicate on a higher level then we know of, but im sure we also have that power too.
Well ants are really incomparable in this type of situation - they communicate by releasing pheromones which other ants basically smell, and then react too. They must be within reasonable proximity for them to actually smell the pheromones, so you're "psychic experience" with your uncle as an example is basically contradicting this. In humans, we can indeed release pheromones through the pores of our skin, but the only related result works only with the opposite sex and it is strictly for enhanced attraction purposes. They in no way can interfere with our perception of reality, or be used as a "communication" peripheral like telepathy. Birds communicate through body language, much like we do, sounds and gestures being an example. Their senses are enhanced, but essentially the same as ours.
Your examples in no way exhibit communication on a higher level than we can understand.
madsoul said:
again, have YOU personally seen this happen for real? if it have ever happened im sure there is a good explanation for it that you dont consider at the moment since you so much want it to be paranormal.
I don't "want it to be paranormal", I'm just raising an issue that I feel is directly related to perhaps some sort of bigger meaning aka something after death. The only experience I've had is seeing a rocking chair begin moving back and forth with no wind draft or reason for it to begin moving in the first place. The internet is known for bringing up lots of fake paranormal-related content, but I also think there's a lot of legit content as well for you to observe. Experts haven't even been able to disprove some of the things presented.
madsoul said:
...but what the hell has god anything to do with things we dont know anything of yet? there are ALOT of things we thought houndreds of years ago was paranormal and strange that we now know how it really works through science.
God has everything to do with things we don't know of yet, including himself perhaps. Yes, the rest of your statement there is true, but it's pretty much irrelevant to what I said?
madsoul said:
the basic "god" from the begining was the sun VS the darkness. sun being the god and darkness being satan or whatever. back then we didnt know how our world really worked, know we know alot more and can actually understand almost how we ended up on this planet and how everything works around us.
And yet paranormal events are still scientifically unproven.

EvilSeph

Administrator
My beliefs
There is a saying that goes something like "God only helps those that help themselves", which I find amusing. If people are capable of helping themselves, why would a higher being have to concern themselves with those people? That being said, taking that quote into consideration: where have we ever seen anyone benefit from God when they are helping themselves? Most wealthy people you see out there today, for example, work very hard for their money, whether they show it or not. I have yet to see a time when a higher being has helped someone more than they can help themselves. This, alone, leads me to question the existence of God. However, I sit upon the line of agnostic and non-practicing Christian for several reasons.

I believe that everything that we see, hear, taste, do or experience and our reactions to those things are influenced by previous experiences in our lives. Hence the existence of schools and church.

Though one may argue that schools teach us things like English and Math - and this is true, they do - if you were to look further into their existence, you will notice that whenever we do something society does not approve of, schooling teaches us that it is wrong and shows us how to behave. And the only reason why it "works" is because we are all expected to be in school and all expected to excel at it.

Applying the same concept to Church, those people that are considered "loyal and faithful" to their religion are expected to go to Church every Sunday where they are subjected to the same techniques used in school that ultimately condition us to be acceptable people in society or in our religion.

In the end, unless someone has been without influence all their lives - which is next to impossible due to the existence of parents - everyone's beliefs are the results on how they were brought up. Whether they like to admit it or not.

Does God exist?

The topic of the existence of God or gods is an odd one. I feel that some people choose to believe in God simply because it is the only way to explain why some things are the way they are. Or, because it's so easy to blame something on a being that has not been proven to exist.

Does God exist? I wonder.

I feel as if we have all been conditioned from day one to feel some sort of attachment to God. How many times have you said "oh my God", "omg", "God help me" and so on without even thinking? Or prayed to God that you passed your test?

Whether God exists or not is not really that important. Having an open and objective mind is. Just because someone says something is a specific way does not mean it has to be true.

The point I am trying to get to is this. If you believe in God, you are not following God but rather the "teaching of God" from those important people at your Church. And since there is no way for you to prove otherwise, these people can say anything and claim it to be the "teachings of God".

If you do not believe in God, then you will naturally find some other being to model yourself after. That is simply how we, as humans, work and live. Much of life's lessons are taught through experiences and/or demonstrations.

Keep your eyes open. Religious fanatics and ignorant believers are the most dangerous people in our society.

Still, there are times when I believe God exists and then times when I question that. For example, if you were to look at the world and what's happening around us, if God existed, why would he let so many people die? However, on the flip side, I have seen some incredible things happen that I do not believe a human could explain.

Why people choose a religion or something to believe in
Guidance. Everyone needs guidance in life to become a good, decent human. Some people turn to their parents or someone they look up to, others to a higher being that should be respected and feared. But more so, I believe that people choose something to believe in because it gives them answers to many questions that science or facts cannot lead to answers for.

Lastly, I believe that since things like ghosts cannot be completely explained, people have turned to what they see on television or in movies to associate it with being a "ghost". Therefore, each time someone sees or experiences something that reminds them of what they saw in the movies or on television, they believe they have seen a ghost. Yet another example of conditioning that occurs in our life.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

You might bash me by saying that everyone downloads stuff and piracy is stealing. Piracy is illegal, not immoral in my situation. I simply don't have the income to buy stuff. I don't believe I have stolen anything because I know for a fact I would never have bought it.

And you wonder why? Put yourself in a Developer's shoes. If people all thought like you and didn't pay for the things they acquired, there would be nothing left for them to steal because producing those items would not be worthwhile. If people thought like you and did not pay you for your hard work, then you would still be in the same situation - you would not have income to buy stuff. Why? Because other people shared your mentality that if they do not have the ability to buy things, they won't. They'll just take it.

Why would you waste time acquiring something if you would have never bought it? I find this logic immensely laughable. You are a despicable thief. There is no way to justify what you are doing. Hard work should go rewarded. You need to learn how to appreciate the hard work everyone puts into creating things or the economy will suffer and you will be left wondering why everything on the market sucks.

I, for one, am in the profession you steal from and you really make me want to stop delivering people like you (and, as a consequence of that -everyone else) high quality products like I, and so many other developers do.

Perhaps you should think of this: if our work is not resulting in profit for the company we work for, your actions have just caused a company to go bankrupt or someone to lose their job. I hope you enjoy having that on your conscience.

madsoul

Slasher, im going to be totally honest here and blaim 2 things for me not being able to have this conversation with you.

1. your smarter then me

2. my verbal knowledge is not good enough when it comes to express myself in english

:p

all i can say is that i totally respect people who belive in any religion but personally i cant understand how anyone can belive in it. as much as religious people dont understand that i can live without a god and life after death.

and about telepathy. in my head its not that far fetched compared to god. in that case i might say that it is one of the only "paranormal" things i might think is true. and that is since i have actually experienced some strange thing regarding it.

but i dont know. if i might experience something you could call a ghost or spirit il maybe change my mind.

still i think i will never belive i an after life. its just wishfull thinking.

Slasher

Suck It
I respect your opinion, and would love to hear from others as well.
It's very interesting learning the different schools of thought concerning this subject.

Moose

Meta Moose
I'm dumbfounded when it comes to religion. Sure, I can understand how someone would want to believe that there is a reason for everything. But I just don't see why people need a reason for anything. There are so many religions out there, and it is simply a case of which one you were brought up to believe in, not necessarily what you would believe in were you ever given the chance to experience the beliefs of another religion. It seems more of a case that you believe what you have been told to believe, not what you could or should believe if, for example, you weren't brought up to believe what you do.

I understand that people, in many cases, decide to start believing in a God. But what religion that person follows, and the God they believe in, is often determined by the surrounding beliefs. If you are living in Britain, for example, the chances are that you will become a Christian.

*sigh* It is all so confusing... and hard to get your point across.

madsoul

for me the world is even more amazing without an all mighty creator. Dont you agree? For me god is a simple explanation for something bigger, something we humans will never understand since we cant think in that many dimentions. We humans want it to be so simple.

matt

Access_Denied said:
So, I don't have to be a Christian, but I have to accept the Christian views of God and Jesus. So, which part of that makes any sense.

Also, in the way you put it, yes, God is an asshole. Think about it. EVERY single person who isn't Christian is going to burn in hell for all eternity. That's pretty low. I mean, what if you're born to Muslim parents? Chances are, you're going to be Muslim. Does that mean God destined you to hell before you were even created? That kind of sucks for anybody who he doesn't choose to be Christian.

I think a more realistic idea would be that God chooses people to go to heaven based on morals, NOT on their religion. But then again, even that isn't a very good idea, as morals are very subjective and change from culture to culture.

You want to leave, fine. You just can't handle the fact that Christianity is so contradictory, and pretty much places everybody but themselves in hell for eternal damnation.

Also, I feel this must be repeated. The funniest part is that it's truthful. (An oversimplification, yes. But still funny.)

EDIT: IF YOU WANT TO ACT THE EEJIT YOU CAN LEAVE NOW, KEEP IT SMART, NO SPACE FOR STUPID AND OFFENSIVE IMAGES HERE.

Are you honestly that naive? Did I not just say that you didn't have to be Christian to go to heaven? You just need to believe and abide by God and Jesus. That means that other religions that do this will probably lead you to heaven. My pastor also said that he thinks that God has a plan for those that don't believe in Jesus as the Son of God, such as the Muslims. They believe he was a prophet instead.

Yes, if 2/3 of humanity doesn't believe in God, then they will go to hell. God is most definitely not an asshole. Those that don't believe in Him deserve to go to Hell. If they never had faith in the one that created them, do you honestly believe that they deserve to go to Heaven?

Again these are my views. I don't wish to be flamed at. This is supposed to be the "smart" forum.

mohaas05

Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are all virtually the same religion. They all consist of the same deity, and the same people/characters, even if they are viewed in different perspectives.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Matt said:
Are you honestly that naive? Did I not just say that you didn't have to be Christian to go to heaven? You just need to believe and abide by God and Jesus.
That doesn't make any sense Matt.

Christian = Jesus

According to you Heaven = Jesus

Therefore Christian = Heaven

By my calculations you've just contradicted yourself.

IMO, Hell is the invention of a few greedy individuals. If there is a God he loves us all.

EvilSeph

Administrator
As long as we play by the rules I set previously, I see no flaming occuring yet. People have opinions and they tend to stick to them, do not take it personally when people question your opinion. They have every right to.

madsoul

Matt said:
Yes, if 2/3 of humanity doesn't believe in God, then they will go to hell. God is most definitely not an asshole. Those that don't believe in Him deserve to go to Hell. If they never had faith in the one that created them, do you honestly believe that they deserve to go to Heaven?

you did not really answer my question earlier. if you have been a good person your whole life, helped alot of people and never hurt anybody, should you be sendt straight to hell for not beliving anything? talk about one hell of a dictator...

thank god (pun intended) im allready in hell. hell is right here on earth.

FreePlay

Slasher said:
Did you read what I wrote?
Rape is indirectly unacceptable and forbidden based on the authority of the state.
Which is not the Ten Commandments.
You said we should base our morality on them. And yet the state has to be the one to tell us not to rape, abuse, enslave, torture, or go to war?
Slasher said:
In addition to that, being "nice" to people can in fact be interpreted through a deeper look at the commandment, or #8 in particular.
"Requires the maintaining and promoting of truth between people, and of our neighbor

matt

NeilR said:
That doesn't make any sense Matt.

Christian = Jesus

According to you Heaven = Jesus

Therefore Christian = Heaven

By my calculations you've just contradicted yourself.

IMO, Hell is the invention of a few greedy individuals. If there is a God he loves us all.

Matt said:
My pastor also said that he thinks that God has a plan for those that don't believe in Jesus as the Son of God, such as the Muslims. They believe he was a prophet instead.

I have not contradicted myself.

mohaas05 said:
Christianity, Islam, and Judaism are all virtually the same religion. They all consist of the same deity, and the same people/characters, even if they are viewed in different perspectives.

I agree. Yes they are similar, although they do have many differences.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Matt said:
I have not contradicted myself.
In the post I quoted (the second similar post) you said "You just need to believe and abide by God and Jesus." Muslims hold him in high regard but they don't "abide" by him and certainly don't "believe" in him in the way that defines Christianity.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
mohaas05 said:

Islam and Judaism is virtually the same as they believe that there is ONLY one god. However Christians believe that Jesus was the son of god, which isn't really comparable to both Islam and Judaism (unless your a different kind of jew as i read a post in this thread).

What some people don't know is that Muslims do believe in Jesus, but was not the the son of god but he was the prophet of god. And his mother Mary was a virgin. He did not die on a cross but he was brought up to heaven and one day he will come down to earth with two angels to fight the anti-christ, (the false messiah).

Also NeilR...Christian = Jesus? I believe in Jesus, does that make me a Christian?

Based on islamic belief, as long as you believe that there is only one god, and prophet muhammad was the last prophet, no matter how many sins you have committed, you will eventually reach heaven. We believe that there are 7 gates in heaven and their are 7 gates in hell.

NeilR

eXo Admin
Enforcer Team
Nero said:
Also NeilR...Christian = Jesus? I believe in Jesus, does that make me a Christian?
If your religion is one where Jesus is the son of God then that religion is a Christian one. When a person says "believe" in that context I assume it's a religious affirmation.

Nero

Mmmm...cookies
NeilR said:
If your religion is one where Jesus is the son of God then that religion is a Christian one. When a person says "believe" in that context I assume it's a religious affirmation.

If you put it that way, yes your right.

Access_Denied

Matt said:

Again these are my views. I don't wish to be flamed at. This is supposed to be the "smart" forum.

That is THE stupidest thing I've ever heard. OK, if there was a guy who killed everyone who didn't agree with him, wouldn't you call him an asshole? Now, compare that same guy to your version of God.

First you say that God judges people on their beliefs. (Christianity) Then, you say that he judges them on their morals. So, if I'm an Atheist but follow the same morals as Christians, am I still doomed to go to hell? (A question asked twice by madsoul, but avoided.)

You seriously need to reconsider your thoughts. If there's a God up there, I'm sure he likes all of his creations equally. I don't think he's going to send most of us to hell for eternity.