• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Hacker Runs Blu-ray Backups From Hard Drive On PS3

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
ps31.jpg

According to internet reports, a hacker going by the alias SKFU has managed to run a Blu-ray disc backup on the PS3. Details are sketchy and the actual hack has yet to be released, but at minimum you'll need a 60GB hard drive and original disc in order to pull this off, along with a "special" dump of the game you want to run from HDD.

The author further notes that the hack does work without issue on the latest PS3 firmware (2.42) and three games have been tested successfully thus far, one of those being Warhawk. We’ll refrain from commenting on the obvious legal implications of this hack. One thing is for sure, Sony will likely release a firmware patching the flaw as soon as possible.

Update: Hacker slaagt in back-ups laden op de PlayStation 3 [PS3-Sense]

jalaldevil

<p>more likely to be FAKE, WARHAWK is downloadable from PSN.</p>
<p>StreetSkaterFU? The same guy, who was/is a major member of TeamICE? The TeamICE, who told everyone they had hacked the console when they had achieved *nothing*? The TeamICE, who shortly after people called them out, simply vanished? The TeamICE, who single handedly invented the trend of bogus PS3 hacks?</p>
<p>Let's see what happens this time,</p>

Ranelar

<p>Already have a 320GB drive in my PS3, had some buyers remorse that it was overkill, but maybe not in the future :p I kinda hope that this doesn't happen though. I'd like Sony to have a system that makes money. People have the xbox if they wanna play "backups" of most current gen games.</p>

GregoryRasputin

<p>Hi guys this discovery should be rightfully credited to ps3hax.net.</p>
<p>Also to discuss feel free to visit the IRC channel</p>
<p>irc.ps3sanctuary.com/6667</p>

Niat

<p>Well, as RJC4LIFE said... I hope it's a fake. Homebrew would indeed be great. But being able to play ISOs is most certainly fatal.</p>
<p>Cheers, Niat</p>