• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Hackers Describe PS3 Security As Epic Fail, Gain Unrestricted Access

Deathrow

Hardly an epic fail, but whatever.

Hardly a problem.
They might might just fix it in an upcomming FW.

Of course it's dumb (well, it's Sony, who expected else) to do things like that, but they'll fix it.
"Nou, they can't, existing games need to be able to still run" some will now shout, but I say: "They'll just release patches to all games with the new encryption, so they WILL continue to run".

Uhh I hope you both realize that it really was an epic fail for IMB returning random as a constant. Bad security was bad. You cannot patch a personal signed key.

As for the time it took the PS3 to be hacked, you can thank the thief who stole secret documentation from one of Sony's employees, which was then leaked for course. I just assume these guys were the aftermath of when all of this took place. I saw a lot of work being done everywhere else, but I have never heard of these guys. My thanks goes toward Math and the creation of PS3 hacking/exploit wiki documentation instead.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
HONESTLY, lets be honest here guys, its truth time: STOP FUCKING WITH CONSOLES THAT ARENT BUILT OR INTENDED FOR HOMEBREW AND JUST USE YOUR FUCKING PC.

I get it, its cool and hip and rad and sparking and shit and you can play homemade games on your console and browse the next and pirate games and etc. Awesome, we get it, we understand how gnarley that is, but stop and think about it for a second and realize that all that hard work spending trying to hack and crack shit could easily be spent non-intrusively on your computer.

Im literally sick and tired of people talking about, discussing and arguing about the homebrew scene of every single console and portable device. Its like listening to people argue about why a banana should taste like an orange - the fact is that banana is a banana, and when you try to change that it stops being what it first was.

Wether you all like it or not, people are FUCKING WITH other peoples legacy and work by trying to crack and hack consoles - Honestly, if platform holders wanted the consoles to do what hackers get them to do, they would have done it. The reason why they dont let people do that is because then the entire industry would become useless.

Wether we like it or not, a gaming console is a gaming console and a personal computer is a personal computer.

Now with all that said, my personal opinion weighs somewhere on this line: Studios need to man up a bit more and start standing up to Publisher/Platform conglomerates. Personally, if I ran a studio or worked on a project that REQUIRED it to have some sort of firmware update in order to play simply because the platform company tried to fix a security loop hole in homebrew - I wouldnt agree to that, either before or after production.The industry is being ran by corporate, and the only way studios are showing any sort of creativity is by taking a nice fat check from publishers [which, most happen to be owned by the platform holders] to let them BUY the development of their game.

Alex

HONESTLY, lets be honest here guys, its truth time: STOP FUCKING WITH CONSOLES THAT ARENT BUILT OR INTENDED FOR HOMEBREW AND JUST USE YOUR FUCKING PC.

I get it, its cool and hip and rad and sparking and shit and you can play homemade games on your console and browse the next and pirate games and etc. Awesome, we get it, we understand how gnarley that is, but stop and think about it for a second and realize that all that hard work spending trying to hack and crack shit could easily be spent non-intrusively on your computer.

Im literally sick and tired of people talking about, discussing and arguing about the homebrew scene of every single console and portable device. Its like listening to people argue about why a banana should taste like an orange - the fact is that banana is a banana, and when you try to change that it stops being what it first was.

Wether you all like it or not, people are FUCKING WITH other peoples legacy and work by trying to crack and hack consoles - Honestly, if platform holders wanted the consoles to do what hackers get them to do, they would have done it. The reason why they dont let people do that is because then the entire industry would become useless.

Wether we like it or not, a gaming console is a gaming console and a personal computer is a personal computer.

Now with all that said, my personal opinion weighs somewhere on this line: Studios need to man up a bit more and start standing up to Publisher/Platform conglomerates. Personally, if I ran a studio or worked on a project that REQUIRED it to have some sort of firmware update in order to play simply because the platform company tried to fix a security loop hole in homebrew - I wouldnt agree to that, either before or after production.The industry is being ran by corporate, and the only way studios are showing any sort of creativity is by taking a nice fat check from publishers [which, most happen to be owned by the platform holders] to let them BUY the development of their game.

You shouldve added an explicit post warning before that :p

But yeh i totally agree. The momet when piracy kicks into the ps3 scene. ps3 will die. Im all up for homebrew access and unlimited power, no rsx blocking so we can use the ps3's full potential. But when it comes to piracy? mights aswell put in some hours lol

piracy=no new games = a very bored Alex :p

Dan

Contributor
What I meant Deathrow was in relation to the time frame.

Also, one of the key features of the PS3 is online multiplayer. Like Josey said, why would you sacrifice that for something a PC can execute perfectly? If you would choose to do that, it's the best part of

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
and pc's are extremely varied in their specs, developing homebrew on a console means that it well work on everyone's console, you don't get that with a pc, also, please stop spouting your "truth", it's an opinion not to agree if people should mess with things, not an absolute.

who is this "we", who?!, i don't agree with you, so i must be outside that collective "we" that your so awesomly associated with, that is absolute in their truth's, but seriously, no, people hack because they find it fun, do you think any of the peolpe like Sven are getting payed to do this?, no, they find it interesting, to test the limits of a system, to see what can be done, it's not "cool, or hip, or rad", it's interesting, it's fun, and what is fun to one person might not be fun to another, but that's no reason to judge them on it.

then WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU EVEN IN THIS THREAD?!, why are you posting, obviously you have ZERO interest in this, so why do you keep coming back, what's the point, again, what isn't interesting to you, is fucking awesome to some of us, and you, or "we", or whomever has no right to judge that, seriously where do u get off to come here and start spouting all your crap all over the place?

what legacy?!, the ps3 isn't some sacred thing, it's an consumer device mass produced, noone but you are holding it to something on a higher level, their is no legacy, no person is crying over this, it's a device, plain and simple, it's not a one of a kind item, noone is desicrating it, all people are doing is running their own software off of it

as well, how would the industry be useless if a company imployed ways for the average freelance developer to run code on their console?, apple itself is a prime example of what can be done when allowing average developers are given the capability to develop on their console(hell even microsoft subscribes to this theory a bit), and it's perhaps one of the most successful company's out their, so clearly the industry won't fall apart when average developers are aloud to develop on a console.

a personal computer is also a lose term, their are a bizzilion diffrent variables when dealing with a personal computer, their are almost zero diffrences when dealing with programing for a gaming console

so in short, please, if you are sick of reading this stuff, THEN STOP READING IT!

XBMC would be an awesome app to have. The PS3's a decent media player, but not having to convert everything would be sweet.

The fact that we can sign our executables should mean we're able to launch these apps straight from a clean XMB, no?

Deathrow

What I meant Deathrow was in relation to the time frame.

Also, one of the key features of the PS3 is online multiplayer. Like Josey said, why would you sacrifice that for something a PC can execute perfectly? If you would choose to do that, it's the best part of

ilyace

and pc's are extremely varied in their specs, developing homebrew on a console means that it well work on everyone's console, you don't get that with a pc, also, please stop spouting your "truth", it's an opinion not to agree if people should mess with things, not an absolute.

who is this "we", who?!, i don't agree with you, so i must be outside that collective "we" that your so awesomly associated with, that is absolute in their truth's, but seriously, no, people hack because they find it fun, do you think any of the peolpe like Sven are getting payed to do this?, no, they find it interesting, to test the limits of a system, to see what can be done, it's not "cool, or hip, or rad", it's interesting, it's fun, and what is fun to one person might not be fun to another, but that's no reason to judge them on it.

then WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU EVEN IN THIS THREAD?!, why are you posting, obviously you have ZERO interest in this, so why do you keep coming back, what's the point, again, what isn't interesting to you, is fucking awesome to some of us, and you, or "we", or whomever has no right to judge that, seriously where do u get off to come here and start spouting all your crap all over the place?

what legacy?!, the ps3 isn't some sacred thing, it's an consumer device mass produced, noone but you are holding it to something on a higher level, their is no legacy, no person is crying over this, it's a device, plain and simple, it's not a one of a kind item, noone is desicrating it, all people are doing is running their own software off of it

as well, how would the industry be useless if a company imployed ways for the average freelance developer to run code on their console?, apple itself is a prime example of what can be done when allowing average developers are given the capability to develop on their console(hell even microsoft subscribes to this theory a bit), and it's perhaps one of the most successful company's out their, so clearly the industry won't fall apart when average developers are aloud to develop on a console.

a personal computer is also a lose term, their are a bizzilion diffrent variables when dealing with a personal computer, their are almost zero diffrences when dealing with programing for a gaming console

so in short, please, if you are sick of reading this stuff, THEN STOP READING IT!

lmao u dumb as hell

WillyVWade

When I saw this post, I knew it was up for a (rather sauced) dissection...

HONESTLY, lets be honest here guys, its truth time:
Your opinion ≠ Truth.

STOP FUCKING WITH CONSOLES THAT ARENT BUILT OR INTENDED FOR HOMEBREW AND JUST USE YOUR FUCKING PC.

I get it, its cool and hip and rad and sparking and shit and
A comma is a great way to separate items in a list. They can also be used in conjunction with their best bud, the Apostrophe.

you can play homemade games on your console and browse the next and pirate games and etc. Awesome, we get it,
Clearly you don't.

we understand how gnarley that is,
Clearly you don't. Also, who is this "we", you speak of?

but stop and think about it for a second and realize that all that hard work spending trying to hack and crack shit could easily be spent non-intrusively on your computer.
Proof reading. It gets you taken seriously.

Im literally sick
You might want to clean that up, it sounds messy.

and tired
Sickness AND tiredness? You sure you're not ill? Is your period late, you might be pregnant.

of people talking about, discussing and arguing about the homebrew scene
You were forced to listen?

of every single console and portable device. Its like listening to people argue about why a banana should taste like an orange - the fact is that banana is a banana, and when you try to change that it stops being what it first was.
You actually lost me there, are you saying that by using homebrew (lovely segmented juicy bits), you remove the consoles original purpose (mushy-centre) and functionality (Tasty, Bananary-goodness)?

Wether you all like it or not, people are FUCKING WITH other peoples legacy and work by trying to crack and hack consoles
Legacy? I'll indulge this one for a moment (but only to crush it with my mighty [STRIKE]Penis[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Thor-Hammer[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]Masculine Thighs[/STRIKE] intellect)

Kazunori Yamauchi - His "Leagacy" (Gran Turismo) has had releases on the PlayStation (pirated from here to eternity), the PlayStation 2 (Modchip? Nah, just jimmy it open with a bank card like that Arnold Schwarzenegger film), PSP (Do I have to?)

And yet GT5 sold over 5.5 million copies in twelve days. POST PSJB and PSGroove.

- Honestly, if platform holders wanted the consoles to do what hackers get them to do, they would have done it.
OtherOS.

The reason why they dont let people do that is because then the entire industry would become useless.

Computer - "A computer is a programmable machine that receives input, stores and manipulates data, and provides output in a useful format."
Personal - "of or pertaining to a person, or belonging to a person in some way"

Now with all that said, my personal opinion weighs somewhere on this line:
No, your personal opinion weighed in on the first line

Studios need to man up a bit more and start standing up to Publisher/Platform conglomerates. Personally, if I ran a studio...
...It would go under?
or worked on a project that REQUIRED it to have some sort of firmware update in order to play simply because the platform company tried to fix a security loop hole in homebrew - I wouldnt agree to that
So you're anti-homebrew AND anti-anti-homebrew. You're so cutting edge, you're making my brain bleed.

, either before or after production.
1)Game is made and tested on Debug-Units.
2)Game is sent to the console licensers, where firmware updates are added and the signing takes place
3)Game is sent to be pressed.

Your game would never see the light of day

The industry is being ran by corporate,
FUCK THE SYSTE... oh, wait.

"A corporation is a formal business association with a publicly registered charter recognizing it as a separate legal entity having its own privileges, and liabilities distinct from those of its members."

Something being corporate (and therefore bad in the eyes of you and a bunch of hippies...) just means it's run by a business. So if it was a game produced by someone that wasn't a corporation, it would be homebrew...

and the only way studios are showing any sort of creativity is by taking a nice fat check from publishers [which, most happen to be owned by the platform holders] to let them BUY the development of their game.

YEAH! All these big businesses making games, what if the little guy did it, by him self. But not in a big office, but in his own home. You could call it 'Homemake'...

Adiuvo

If people are going to have an argument over the merits of this hack then it'd be preferable that they have actual content, not just 'witty' points. Josey's post did have points, and if you want posts to be kept viewable even if inflammatory then the responses must have content as well.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
If people are going to have an argument over the merits of this hack then it'd be preferable that they have actual content, not just 'witty' points. Josey's post did have points, and if you want posts to be kept viewable even if inflammatory then the responses must have content as well.

so, then cut our posts, and cut his post that people have an issue with(and the part that has no merit to anything that is about this particular hack), and throw it into a thread that has been previously created to discuss such a thing, http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=21556&highlight= would probably be an appropiate thread, otherwise u can't expect people not to respond to what he's saying

Adiuvo

The average homebrew is not going to tax any recent PC, even the cheapest prebuilts. It's not some massive variable when you have an average spec. The people with computers from 2004 aren't going to be using a homemade game, or even games at all, no matter how awesome they are.

You could tone down the drama a wee bit. Anyways presenting broad conclusions to counter other... erm broad conclusions I suppose isn't going to change anyone's mind. If you go back to what the PSP scene has driveled into then your reasoning for hacks in general is also rather poor. A lot of people do hack for the fame and to feel 'cool.' There are people who do it out of curiosity, but so long as we're discussing generalities I wouldn't put this in the majority. Android phones are a pretty large example of people rooting for donations and there's always the nice iOS drama that comes about.

If you can't handle a person's comment then lord knows how you survived on the internet for so long. People don't need to respect your interests based on them being your interests. Everyone has a right to judge and make conclusions. You're basically saying 'like my things or else!' and that's a fairly comical position to take.

The software and quality of it (online specifically) is now at risk because of this.

as well, how would the industry be useless if a company imployed ways for the average freelance developer to run code on their console?, apple itself is a prime example of what can be done when allowing average developers are given the capability to develop on their console(hell even microsoft subscribes to this theory a bit), and it's perhaps one of the most successful company's out their, so clearly the industry won't fall apart when average developers are aloud to develop on a console
Apple's initial success with the iPhone largely came from their brand name and quality of the device. Freelancing did help but wasn't the sole cause. People need to have a reason to be attracted to the platform, and potential market is a large part of that.

Not really. The market for homemade games really isn't that large. You can expect people to have a certain level of hardware, and after that you're golden. Prebuilts in the past few years aren't much weaker than current consoles.

Horrible position to take. He can read, respond, and complain about whatever he wants. It's a forum.

Adiuvo

so, then cut our posts, and cut his post that people have an issue with(and the part that has no merit to anything that is about this particular hack), and throw it into a thread that has been previously created to discuss such a thing, http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=21556&highlight= would probably be an appropiate thread, otherwise u can't expect people not to respond to what he's saying

I'm not going to start mutilating posts because people have issues with them so long as they don't break any of the rules. What can't happen is content-less posts.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
first of all, adiuvo, i do love your contradictory post's=-)
secondly, i do hope that were not getting a bit too heated atm, or that i haven't crossed any line's with people(as i feel ilyace for some reason doesn't like me)

The average homebrew is not going to tax any recent PC, even the cheapest prebuilts. It's not some massive variable when you have an average spec. The people with computers from 2004 aren't going to be using a homemade game, or even games at all, no matter how awesome they are.
that truthfully depends on the aim of the homebrew in question, generally speaking an average homebrew game won't push a pc, but that's kindof avoiding the point, the reason i loved developing software on the psp was because i knew, what worked in my hands, was going to work on another person's psp, that their was going to be nothing else that would pop up, or give issues, or get random people complaning because of some weird error, which has nothing to do with the game in question(although, technically that can still happen anyway)

You could tone down the drama a wee bit. Anyways presenting broad conclusions to counter other... erm broad conclusions I suppose isn't going to change anyone's mind. If you go back to what the PSP scene has driveled into then your reasoning for hacks in general is also rather poor. A lot of people do hack for the fame and to feel 'cool.' There are people who do it out of curiosity, but so long as we're discussing generalities I wouldn't put this in the majority. Android phones are a pretty large example of people rooting for donations and there's always the nice iOS drama that comes about.

yes, my original post may have been a bit over the top, anyways, yes, people do do it for fame, but as this is an argument that has been played over many times(even in this community alone), people with the talent to pull this off probably deserve that fame, and yes, sometimes, those people do take that fame too far, as in the case of the iOS drama.

If you can't handle a person's comment then lord knows how you survived on the internet for so long. People don't need to respect your interests based on them being your interests. Everyone has a right to judge and make conclusions. You're basically saying 'like my things or else!' and that's a fairly comical position to take.

firstly, when did i say i couldn't handle his comment?, and as you say, this is a forum, where anyone can post, however, when people say things like 'i'm sick and tired of reading your guys posts about xyz subject', then you have to ask, why are you doing that?, why are you forcing yourself through something you clearly don't care about, and are making so much of a point that you don't care about it, that you include such statements

The software and quality of it (online specifically) is now at risk because of this.
piracy has been around pretty much as long as games have been around, people want things for free, that's not ganna change, but at the same time, we've seen that piracy has not stopped games from progressively getting better and better, as WillyVWade pointed out, in 12 days GT5 sold over 5.5 million copy's, post JB's/downgrades being released, it's no diffrent than psp games being released that are still very high quality, while piracy does make an impact, it has clearly yet to make an impact to stop company's from getting the software sales to continue developing games.

Apple's initial success with the iPhone largely came from their brand name and quality of the device. Freelancing did help but wasn't the sole cause. People need to have a reason to be attracted to the platform, and potential market is a large part of that.
yes, having the brand name apple did defiantly help in sales, but sony+microsoft both have pretty well known brand name's, them taking a similar approach would most likly be met with equal success, as well as still leave room for big name contenders.

Not really. The market for homemade games really isn't that large. You can expect people to have a certain level of hardware, and after that you're golden. Prebuilts in the past few years aren't much weaker than current consoles.
this is similar to my point above, the fact is, computers still have a ton more variables to deal with, than if you develop on a set, always the same, device.

Horrible position to take. He can read, respond, and complain about whatever he wants. It's a forum
no different than how i complain however i want=-)

edit:
I'm not going to start mutilating posts because people have issues with them so long as they don't break any of the rules. What can't happen is content-less posts.
perhaps we have a misunderstanding of which each of us thought was pertaining to the hack in question, i'm pretty much refering to everything above "my personal opinion", which imo is clearly is directed at homebrew/hacking/developing on consoles in general, and not directed at this article itself
i think me saying "what people have an issue with" was a bad choice of words, i should have said, "what isn't pertaining to this article directly", which is what you are after

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
There is no fucking way the PS3 will die from this exploit... Even if Custom Firmware is made and it's impossible to ban people, the PS3 will be fine.
The 360 is absolutely fine, and last year they banned almost a million consoles from online (and I know the 360 is harder to hack, which probably stops some people) but not everyone knows of this hack... The VAST majority of people who own PS3s probably only play them and don't bother looking up how to mod them online...
What I hope comes from this exploit is a PSP-like custom firmware. So you can put game ISOs on your internal HDD, and run them and homebrew (from internal HDD or memory stick) through the Game section of the XMB.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart

Ill handle that first statement later however the "truth" I stated is merely a talking point, not a fact which of course would not be opinion. Read people's post with the tone of the person, not your own. Youll sound less aggressive that way.

You absolutely are outside the collective we - the "We" that I am a part of doesnt use 800 commas in one sentence. "We" is the collective of people who dont give a crap which you cover at the end of your post. We, are the people who sit on the sidelines and watch people's mindless banter about what an International Fortune 500 company should do with their products. Whos judging anyone in my previous post? Im not aying anyone is a loser or waste of time. Youre infering that my statements are aggressive when really they are just passive from a different point of view from your own.

Youre the one who got defensive about my having an alternate opinion to which you then tried to make me feel bad for - so, whos the one being judgemental? That would be you - so fuck off, youre wasting my time (this is me judging you)

Because I reserve my right to have an opinion on anything I want. You cant tell me every single post youve ever made on this forum was made in a moment of complete interest. Communication is, albeit interesting or not, how people learn that their own opinions arent the only call.

Oh, I dont know. The legacy of the designers maybe? The people who thought up the entire concept of the device? Obviously, Sony knows what they are doing in some respect to how they want to handle their products. You see to be crying over this, to be honest. All I did was take the opposite side of the coin in the argument and you took the defensive it seems. Im just trying to make a point for platform holders and studios since they obvious can do so. It wouldnt exactly be fair if the entire argument was one sided would it?

Were not exactly JUST talking about indie devs having more power here. Were talking about EVERYTHING that encompanies the homebrew scene that we all know when it comes to electronics. For the record, if Apple were so perfect in how they handle development then why is there a homebrew/hacking/cracking/etc scene for Apple products as well? You cant justify a great product because they offer a bit more when under the cover people are just as frantic to make the device different.

This is what I understand - I understand the appeal of it all. It IS hip and cool, making your little life device into something your own. If it wasnt cool and fun and sweet then nobody would do it obviously. If everyone thought being abstinent, sober and nerdy was cool then the majority would be that way. This is the same thing about hacking and modding, its cool to people, I refuse to believe the monotonous hours spend cracking and hacking code fucking or whatever the hell people do is done solely on the idea of "fun". These people are looking for fame and attention and know that not anyone can do these things.

Ah right, I understand now. So, youre telling me that breaking a legally binding EULA is because its easier? If not please explain what you mean then because thats what Im hearing

Muratcan

I'm surprised there are people against these developments and homebrew on consoles, on this website! I thought many of us we were from the core of QJ.NET? Exophase itself is built more on the homebrew/hacking side of things than gaming in general isn't it?

eldiablov

Contributor
I'm surprised there are people against these developments and homebrew on consoles, on this website! I thought many of us we were from the core of QJ.NET? Exophase itself is built more on the homebrew/hacking side of things than gaming in general isn't it?

Most are encouraging of homebrew in general, it's the piracy that really splits the majority here.