• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Hackers Describe PS3 Security As Epic Fail, Gain Unrestricted Access

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Most are encouraging of homebrew in general, it's the piracy that really splits the majority here.

Agreed. I used to be quite more vocal about it in the past too xD But I believe everyone supports homebrew here, but people like me and Josey really hate the downsides it brings.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
B

Bizarre

I have a few questions, I'm on the latest firmware is this what is being exploited? Or will there be a downgrade? One more, my PS3 refuses to play games, it'll freeze or just won't load, will this lead to back-up games on the HDD like xbox? I refuse to pay $250.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
I have a few questions, I'm on the latest firmware is this what is being exploited? Or will there be a downgrade? One more, my PS3 refuses to play games, it'll freeze or just won't load, will this lead to back-up games on the HDD like xbox? I refuse to pay $250.
1. theoretically, this should lead to no exploits, since everything would be signed, their's no need for an exploit
2. not needed
3. knowing people....yes, eventually

of course sony won't just let this slide by, so i'm sure it'll be stopped in 3.60 somehow(either with methods talked about earliar in this thread, or ?)

B

Bizarre

1. theoretically, this should lead to no exploits, since everything would be signed, their's no need for an exploit
2. not needed
3. knowing people....yes, eventually

of course sony won't just let this slide by, so i'm sure it'll be stopped in 3.60 somehow(either with methods talked about earliar in this thread, or ?)

So it would be safe not to upgrade to any firmware coming out soon?

Dan

Contributor
It's not an exploit: If user made application can be signed using the keys, they can launch it from any firmware - These lead the PS3 to believe that the applications are verified by Sony.

Muratcan

Just posted this in the PSPGo downgrader thread too, but it deserves a mention here moreso. Mathieulh has managed to find the PSP keys as a result of this hack. PSP EBOOT.PBPs can now be signed. Almost brings a tear to the eye! I remember back in the day how signing EBOOTs were impossible and how we would talk about running unsigned code on our PSPs! This is like the second Pandora's battery in a way, all PSPs are now hackable and if it's like the PS3 this is unpatchable.

slicer4ever

Coding random shit
Just posted this in the PSPGo downgrader thread too, but it deserves a mention here moreso. Mathieulh has managed to find the PSP keys as a result of this hack. PSP EBOOT.PBPs can now be signed. Almost brings a tear to the eye! I remember back in the day how signing EBOOTs were impossible and how we would talk about running unsigned code on our PSPs! This is like the second Pandora's battery in a way, all PSPs are now hackable and if it's like the PS3 this is unpatchable.
a thread for this has already been created: http://forums.exophase.com/showthread.php?t=22286

El Diablo

Yay for NFS and GT5 and other games finally working now. Time to dust off the ps3 again.

B

Bizarre

I'm curious, for the PSP access, I keep seeing people say CFW is not needed, just wondering how plugins, vsh menu and recovery mode would work?

discostu668

yes, let's all praise these twits and "LOL" at sony for "failing" because the only reason they figured anything out was because some asshole stole sony's official SDK and sold it off.

discostu668

@ Josey:
yes, because everyone who doesn't see the need to run a shitty OS on a device that was specifically designed for *gaming* is automatically a sony employee...
these people really need to direct their pent up sexual frustrations elsewhere.

Robby

Los Doyers!
yes, let's all praise these twits and "LOL" at sony for "failing" because the only reason they figured anything out was because some asshole stole sony's official SDK and sold it off.

There is still a fail in the coding part itself.

@ Josey:
yes, because everyone who doesn't see the need to run a shitty OS on a device that was specifically designed for *gaming* is automatically a sony employee...
these people really need to direct their pent up sexual frustrations elsewhere.

Hahahaha.