• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

HDMI

Acerthief

so what exactly is this?
tipped over my head with this, my new laptop has an HDMI socket and so does my new 26" monitor coming days shortly.

So I should connect them via HDMI (cause i suppose the sound is connected as well and i dont want it to miss out my nice Altec Lansing speakers) or should I stick with the ol' VGA + 3.5mm jack?

Also a nice quick explanation would be gracious :p
Thanks in Advance

rileysnotz

Yes it does output thru HDMI but it can be disabled in Sound Manager. The output should then be thru your normal speakers.

january39

eXo Staff
I often hook my laptop through the TV, particularly if watching a film or something - saved a me a fortune of blank dvd's :)

Serideth

Sorry if I'm hijacking your thread, but I have a question myself about HDMI.

I sometimes use a HDTV with my PC for certain games since it's so big and I feel like I'm getting a console experience when I combine it with a joypad. Anyway I currently use an old school VGA cable and even though a lot of resolutions are available to choose from most of them don't display at all (I get an out of signal error). I recently bought a new graphics card which has two HDMI ports on it, if I was to invest in a HDMI cable would this allow me to use those other resolutions?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
No, VGA should be able to output your TV's resolution just fine. Just make sure your TV supports said resolution, I'm not sure what the cause for the error is

amrcidiot

MFM Survivor
I would recommend a switch from vga to hdmi anyday, so long as it's available for you.
hdmi is so much better quality, and it's got audio out, too.
Get a cheap hdmi cable online, and you won't regret it.

Seth

MD Party Room
I often hook my laptop through the TV, particularly if watching a film or something - saved a me a fortune of blank dvd's :)

I dont know how much it is for blank dvd over there but there about 10 bucks for 50. So I dont think your saveing that much. :) Also you have a ps3 and 360 why dont you use them to stream your media?

Also The HDMI worlds better than vga.

LocutusEstBorg

I assume you're talking about the speakers built into the monitor. It's very unlikely that they are connected to the HDMI input. On most monitors the HDMI is nothing but a different socket attached to the existing DVI-D circuitry. Another popular scam is where the monitor says HDMI but its actually DVI-D /w HDCP support and you need a HDMI to DVI cable. In any case I've never heard of any kind of screen other than a regular HDTV decoding the audio from HDMI, even if the monitor has a HDMI port.

About resolution support, many TVs (and monitors like the 3007WFP) support a very limited set of resolutions as they have a pathetic excuse for a scaler. If you connect HDMI or DVI-D instead of VGA, the only thing that will happen is that the unsupported resolutions will disappear from the list.

There is no perceptible difference between VGA and HDMI (unless you have a damaged VGA cable/connector). Both of them support the range of colors that a monitor can display. At the most a couple of pixels in some random frame might by off by 1 or 2 in the 0-255 RGB scale because of analog transmission. Most people are misinformed because TVs apply all kinds of fucked up algorithms that supposedly improve the image for analog inputs and sometimes even digital and there is no way to subjectively improve image quality for everyone using one algorithm.

Deathrow

This is exactly why I use HDMI too. You can also run your HDMI cable through multiple devices: TV, Laptop, DVD/Blue Ray player etc

Spiros

Maiki
Also, if you're going to get an HDMI cable, use eBay, just ordered one for $2.50 shipped, whereas in a store they'll charge you something crazy.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Indeed, I think they only ship within the US though.