• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

PS3 Hotz Fights Back Against Sony, Files Motion To Dismiss

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
sonyps3firmwareotherosremoval.jpg

George "geohot" Hotz is not succumbing to Sony's recently granted TRO, not without a fight. Hotz's lawyer, Stewart Keller, has served up papers*arguing*why Sony's basis for jurisdiction in California is flawed.

Specifically, Keller points out that SCEA is not responsible for creating the PS3, as Sony is a Japanese company. He further attacks Sony's claims of extortion,*explaining*that Hotz's request for employment was taken out of context, and not directed at SCEA in particular[...]

Continue reading: Hotz Fights Back Against Sony, Files Motion To Dismiss TRO...

Robby

Los Doyers!
I hope he wins, and becomes rich.

XsavioR

I think his offer to perform white hat work for them was noble. One of the Holy Grails of virtually all above average technical types (also known as hackers) is to become good enough the makers of the equipment want to employ you. In numerous cases this is the end result of a life times worth of work. Employment with the companies in question not only supports entry into mainstream white hat operations but also the posting of the exploits, explanations on how it works are akin to doing FREE white hat work. One could make the argument Geohot has done more to make sony secure then sony has. Good luck bud.

Deathrow

^ I think you are referring to ethical hacking. Even colleges train students for this, what makes Geohot so different?

XsavioR

He got sued , not a job offer. Really that is the only difference. The core difference between those evil hackers and us , is evil hackers bank exploits. That is they do not publish them for the parent company to resolve and offer their services as well.
I really mean it when I suggest the argument that geohot has done more for the security of the console then sony.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Hotz just lost Round 2.

Judge has decided that he must surrender his computer to SCEA.

Sousanator

Shockingly Delicious
It's a civil case, not criminal, so both parties must be in the room during inspection, controlled by Hotz.

january39

eXo Staff
This is never going to go well for him....I hope it does, i really do, but i suspect he is the most hated man in Sony right now.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
I'm betting Sony isn't going after is data though, but rather his contacts