• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How can i run ran homebrew on my PS2?

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
How can i run homebrew on my PS2?

Title ^^
I've made a search but I can only find stuff about piracy.I don't need a noob proof guide.
What kind of homebrew can I run my PS2?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
There's more than a couple ways.

1. Install a mod chip.
2. Buy an Action Replay MAX to get the "Independence Exploit" loaded onto your memory card. This will allow you to load various homebrew applications off the memory card and USB flash drive (if you have one).
3. Buy the Memor32 save game manager and load up the hacked firmware which is available here. I've never used it, but apparently it fully unlocks your PS2 allowing you to load backups and homebrew.

So getting the memor32 is probably the way to go, unless you have experience with installing mod chips.

Hanzo_f19

[insert custom user title here]
yeah, my cousin has connection with people that can install the mod chip for free.I'll go with that.

Darkchild

The Doctor
Hey X3, I have a Slim Silver PS2 and Swap Magic 3.6

How can I put this custom firmware in it?
and is it safe?
and how does it look?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Hey X3, I have a Slim Silver PS2 and Swap Magic 3.6

How can I put this custom firmware in it?
and is it safe?
and how does it look?

The firmware? You need a memor32 to load it up. Swap magic won't work for this.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
hmm...i should probally get my own ps2....still havent beat ffX or 12...or dirge of cerebus....

what kind of homebrew is there for the ps2?....similiar kind of stuff as the psp?

Cheezeball99

But I was committed after that birthday party...
hmm...i should probally get my own ps2....still havent beat ffX or 12...or dirge of cerebus....

what kind of homebrew is there for the ps2?....similiar kind of stuff as the psp?

Nah, not really, to be honest. There's not a whole lot, there are some emulators, a media player or two, but not too much else. The homebrew scene on the PS2 isn't nearly as big as it is on, say, the PSP, by a longshot.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
There are disks for emus and stuff check google. :) and modding a fat ps2 is much easier and comes with more advantages. As far as emus I think there is a snes,nes,sega and maybe something else probs atari or something but not much.

canadajames

Soon to be hardware mod
Well you get to install a hardrive directly into the system if you want. More chips and solutions for modding are out for it..... I dont know much else Im not much into it or havent ben for a while but the main difference is the hd. In the way of emus i only have one to add i saw MAME was on it.

Noobe

I want to know if anyone knows about a disc that actually copys the game to an install hdd on the ps2? If you know the bootdisk im refering to can anyone tell me where i can download or buy it from?

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
I want to know if anyone knows about a disc that actually copys the game to an install hdd on the ps2? If you know the bootdisk im refering to can anyone tell me where i can download or buy it from?

HD Loader. There is a better, more compatible version of it that is freely available but you need a way to boot homebrew on your PS2 to use it (Memor32 should work). If you purchase the retail version it'll work on an unmodded PS2. Honestly don't know where you could buy it from these days though... all the main console modification shops I checked don't carry it anymore.

Noobe

HD Loader. There is a better, more compatible version of it that is freely available but you need a way to boot homebrew on your PS2 to use it (Memor32 should work). If you purchase the retail version it'll work on an unmodded PS2. Honestly don't know where you could buy it from these days though... all the main console modification shops I checked don't carry it anymore.

I see and this memo32 is what a cd that u need in order to modd the ps2? i remember my friend when he first used this cd he didnt have to do anything but have a hdd and the cd that opened up a menu that allowed him to copy almost every game that he put into the drive. So are we talking about the samething?