• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How many lines of code do you do in one sitting?

Chathurga

And they are more "eligible" for a job than me because of their higher grades since examinations are a test of memorizing badly written books and even the teachers know nothing about the subject.

lol, you're better than the books and the teachers but the people who don't have a clue do better than you?

You, sir, need to check your ego.

LocutusEstBorg

lol, you're better than the books and the teachers but the people who don't have a clue do better than you?

Yes, when the recruitment criteria is purely based on academic performance with the assumption that all candidates know nothing about the job, thats what happens. However thats not the end of the joke. They don't even know what post they're going to get. They just "join" the company and then the company tries to train them from scratch since its a universal truth that most educational institutions here teach absolutely nothing. They then get put in a job the company thinks they're good at or drop out during training because they don't know shit.

You need to have a nice chat with any student from "Anna University" to comprehend the situation.

I'm referring solely to college arranged placements though. I think knowledgeable people can stand out when applying for a job in their field of interest off-campus.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I wish computer science courses here were like that. EVERY SINGLE person in my class except me would have flunked out or dropped out due to their incompetence and general cluelessness about what a programming language is. And they are more "eligible" for a job than me because of their higher grades since examinations are a test of memorizing badly written books and even the teachers know nothing about the subject. Its such a joke.

I agree with this completely. Academic courses are absolutely useless and nearly completely irrelevant to the job they try to promote.
Tried doing a 2 year programming course and literally 90% of it was business...there was one 2hour class looking at actual programming...the rest was looking at business systems and information flow/filtering....was ghey.

LocutusEstBorg

I agree with this completely. Academic courses are absolutely useless and nearly completely irrelevant to the job they try to promote.
Tried doing a 2 year programming course and literally 90% of it was business...there was one 2hour class looking at actual programming...the rest was looking at business systems and information flow/filtering....was ghey.

Its somewhat understandable that a computer course has other subjects. But in my case, people were actually passing the one programming subject we had without knowing the ABC of any language.

Even our lab sessions were a joke. Every lab class they give someone an old notebook with programs and ask him to copy it into his notebook and pass it around so everyone can copy it. Then we just sit at the comp and type it into the PC and compile it. They are fucking clueless about what to do if the compile fails due to a missing semi-colon or something!

For the end-semester exam, they randomly give us one of the SAME programs that we copied during the classes and were supposed to type it from memory and compile it. It doesn't fucking matter if it compiles or not, you still pass. WTF!!!!

These buggers will be fucking STUMPED if you ask them to print out 1-100 in a loop!

According to them, programming in C means:
1. Click Start.
2. Choose Run.
3. Type CMD.
4. Type CD TC\BIN
OMG ITS SHOWING AN ERROR!!! Something is not found!!! WTF DO I DO?!
5. Type CD\TC\BIN
6. Type TC
7. Type program.
8. Press Alt-F11
OMG I CANT SEE THE OUTPUT WTF DO I DO!!!!?!!
Add getch() at the end.

This is NOT an exagerration. There are a lot of missing steps between 8 and getch() until they get it to compile...

A_Nub

Developer

Chat, he isnt lying. I took AP CS my senior year, and almost no one in the class knew shit, they all did shit code that was slow inefficient and completely bullshit. The teacher taught things wrong, and the book was horribly slow, and explained concepts poorly. I got fed up with most of the class and stopped trying, thus resulting in a worse grade, even though I was far far far ahead of the class, the first week of school when everyone was making their first hello world project, I turned mine in as a 3D cube with Hello World on all the sides. The teacher was impressed, however this didnt help me at all, didnt get me a better grade, it made the teacher envy me. And then he graded me harder as well. It was complete bull. Also it was Java, EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. And the projects where lame, no of them solved problems, one would encounter programming in the field, they were just bull exercises on the recently discussed topic, and hardly built off previous lessons.

LocutusEstBorg

Chat, he isnt lying. I took AP CS my senior year, and almost no one in the class knew shit, they all did shit code that was slow inefficient and completely bullshit. The teacher taught things wrong, and the book was horribly slow, and explained concepts poorly. I got fed up with most of the class and stopped trying, thus resulting in a worse grade, even though I was far far far ahead of the class, the first week of school when everyone was making their first hello world project, I turned mine in as a 3D cube with Hello World on all the sides. The teacher was impressed, however this didnt help me at all, didnt get me a better grade, it made the teacher envy me. And then he graded me harder as well. It was complete bull. Also it was Java, EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW. And the projects where lame, no of them solved problems, one would encounter programming in the field, they were just bull exercises on the recently discussed topic, and hardly built off previous lessons.

Atleast they probably had you TRY to solve it on your own instead of giving you the fuckin source code and asking you to copy it into the PC!

Did you atleast have to solve a new problem in your practical tests? How did people manage that? They must have known something to have written a working program for the test. Unless they ask you the same thing you did in class before and they just memorized the source code.

explosions

these classes sound fun.

A_Nub

Developer
Atleast they probably had you TRY to solve it on your own instead of giving you the fuckin source code and asking you to copy it into the PC!

Did you atleast have to solve a new problem in your practical tests? How did people manage that? They must have known something to have written a working program for the test. Unless they ask you the same thing you did in class before and they just memorized the source code.

The answers where in the book, xD. Basically all they had to do was change different parameters.

Crank

Crank it up!
This discussion just gave me a ridiculously big self-esteem boost. Thanks.

A_Nub

Developer
LOL, if you couldn't tell, my paragraph was complete and utter bullshit. I spend 75.4637% of my day with my girlfriend xD. Ya I must be somewhat nerdy to post a number like that, but hell, my life doesn't revolve around my computer. Hahaha. Crank, glad I could help ;) Even though it was a joke.