• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How to Dual Boot Windows 7 with XP or Vista

Seth

MD Party Room
If you're dying to try out Windows 7 but aren't ready to give up your installation of Vista,You dual boot Windows 7 Vista...

[FIELDSET="What You Need"]
Enough space for Windows 7(16 Gb)
Windows 7 Beta Install Disk( 32bit Or 64bit via Download Squad
Windows Vista
[/FIELDSET]
Step 1: Partition Your Hard Drive

Go to Control Panel -> System and Maintainence-> Administrative Tools -> Computer Management. Once you launch the Computer Management tool, click on Disk Management under the Storage heading in the sidebar.

Choose "Shrink Volume" to free up space for your new partition. Put as much free space as you want to give windows 7...Min is 16gb...

Then, right-click on the new unallocated space and choose "New Simple Volume."

Step 2:Install Windows 7

All you really need to know here is when you're choosing installation type, be sure to select Custom (advanced) and choose the partition you set up above (Be careful here. Choosing the wrong partition could mean wiping your other Windows installation altogether, so make sure you pick the new partition you just created.)

You should now have a new entry for Windows 7 on your boot screen when you first start up your computer. Your all done...It wasent so hard was it?

For XP users it near the same only need to use Parted Magic Live CD

If you need any help feel free to ask...

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
What are chances of someone losing data of dual booting?
Thats tie breaker for me, I don't want restart my pc again lol.

chrono6456

Widnows 7 doesn't need 16GB for an install, it only takes up about 6.5gb when installed. I would know, I installed it n a 10gb partition.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Don't you need some sort of setup where you can select which OS to use when booting up? I remember I had to use EasyBCD when dual booting Vista with XP.

Seth

MD Party Room
GRUB should load by default if you have more than one partition with two OSs.

That mainly only with linux distros....

Windows uses it own MRB to load the 2 Windows OS...

Tho I havent tired it Grub will work just fine if you bother to install it..

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
I didn't instill it yet..... but when im done with window 7 can I remove it on duel boot list?

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Both links are dead.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Both links are dead.
All links on 1st page is working for me.Retry it on different browsers.
edit- I didn't test downloads, other then that it should work.

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
Whether I click on the 32Bit or 64Bit in google chrome I get: "This web page is not available."

RoBz

sucker
All links working fine here.

And I'll add that I really recommend trying out Win 7, especially if you use and love Vista.

Seth

MD Party Room
Severs might be down from the demand... I see if I can find another...

El Xando

"Dam whippersnapper"
I eventually downloaded it from Microsofts site after having to use IE after Chrome and Firefox didn't work...
Thanks for the tut. I've made the spare partition and will be installing it once it's downloaded.