• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

How would you tackle this?

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
So I'm doing a work on videogames for Sociolinguistics, and this is the essay proposal:

http://docs.google.com/View?id=dxrfzq8_19dr6j97dp

How would you go and tackle what I propose to do?

I was wondering since I already have some ideas, but since MfM is both a smart and videogame savy community, I'd like to hear how you guys would do it. Might make me change my approach a little.

Also, I just came back from a meeting with my teacher and she asked me to make a glossary of videogame-specific terms, as she considered my project to have so much potential I might have to present it to the entire class and/or course. So I'd like some help in that aswell, I might not use all the terms proposed but I'm sure as hell am likely to use tons of them.

AR3S

G0d of W@R
You could look at the tone of the speaker, the accent, enthusiasm, ect. and its effect on creating an ambiance that tries to imitate reality.

i don't know what your thesis is but, I would make mine an investigation of the use of the dialog within modern video games and its effect on making the game more realistic or by fully incorporating the player into the character that they control.

Adiuvo

Try looking into stereotypes and how they reflect on the personality of a character. I'm mainly thinking of Ocelot in MGS, but it applies to many games.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Not sure about Dragon Age but for MGS, you could look at how the series typically uses codec conversations and cutscenes to build up character profiles. With how characters backgrounds are slowly revealed over the course of a game or even the whole series.

Two characters I would personally focus on would be Frank Jaeger and Sniper Wolf. The way that Greyfox's past was slowly revealed by Naomi Hunter in the 1st MGS game and also how you played as Null in Port. Ops as well.
As for Sniper Wolf, she was a Kurd and had a vendetta against the US IIRC but through the dialogue with Otacon, she's shown to have a sensitive side and capable of empathy.

So there's plenty to use for the essay.
Good luck with it.

Access_Denied

I've never played either game extensively, but last night I was watching a friend play Dragon Age, and one thing that I would point out in the essay is the fact that you can choose the dialog in the game. It's much more entertaining and interesting, and requires much more thought to choose how the story goes rather than just watching a cut-scene.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
Essay is finished and viewable at:

Essay

I've only tackled Metal Gear Solid 4 due to page restriction. Feedback is always welcome

mysenritsu

I'm happy it's done. ^^ I read it...and as I expected, it was amazing. I really am at a loss for words :O I think this has really motivated me get MGS and play it...xD But really, it was great! I never really thought about it...but the whole thing with the plot pyramid (I don't know if that's the real name, but I know that's the term used for stories) made sense...I never really thought about that kind of stuff before. :D Sorry I can't really offer any more technical-like feedback than that. xD