• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Humanism and The Meaning of Life (help me with my RE project)

unconcentrated

Earl of Awesome
If it's tangible, visible, or otherwise readily noticed by one of my senses, I agree that it exists. Otherwise, it's unknown to me.

If something is not able to be sensed in anyway, how can it exist?

LocutusEstBorg

Of course nothing can be said for certain because we don't know everything. But the general consensus is to make decisions base on time tested rationalities and facts.

In either case as far as I can see the end goal is to make people better. I do not feel guilty of anything. I absolutely would not change my actions or my way of life if it was proved that god exists. And I certainly would not become a crook if it was proved beyond doubt that god didn't exist. My conscience is clean and thats all that matters to me. I do not believe I have to be good AND actively worship god to be "saved" if in case god existed. For all intents and purposes I would still behave like an atheist in either case.

explosions

Of course nothing can be said for certain because we don't know everything.

So why does someone believing in the possibility of a higher being have less worth than someone believing in the possibility of Sasquatch? Neither have been proven, but both have been "seen".

LocutusEstBorg

So why does someone believing in the possibility of a higher being have less worth than someone believing in the possibility of Sasquatch? Neither have been proven, but both have been "seen".

Because the latter is possible based on our present knowledge while the former can only begin to be possible if we discover some new theories (which probably won't happen). Thats why its called blind faith.

Chathurga

I agree, both are worth nothing at all. The fact that people have believed in these things for so long without any solid evidence at all trips my bullshit alarm.
I don't get how people believe in god/cryptids/ghosts/magic is just beyond me.

LocutusEstBorg

I agree, both are worth nothing at all. The fact that people have believed in these things for so long without any solid evidence at all trips my bullshit alarm.
I don't get how people believe in god/cryptids/ghosts/magic is just beyond me.

Believing Sasquatch exists and accepting the possibility that such a genetic mutation can occur are completely different. The latter is completely rational.

explosions

Because the latter is possible based on our present knowledge while the former can only begin to be possible if we discover some new theories (which probably won't happen). Thats why its called blind faith.

The latter is possible how you see things. The former is possible to others. You both have perfectly working minds, it's just that you disagree on what is possible. If we didn't have disagreements and people working to prove themselves correct, we would be living how we did in the 15th century. You can't make generalizations based on what people believe in. ;)

---------- Post added at 12:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 AM ----------

Believing Sasquatch exists and accepting the possibility that such a genetic mutation can occur are completely different. The latter is completely rational.

Anyone remotely aware of biology knows genetic mutations happen all of the time. That can be proven.

LocutusEstBorg

The latter is possible how you see things. The former is possible to others. You both have perfectly working minds, it's just that you disagree on what is possible. If we didn't have disagreements and people working to prove themselves correct, we would be living how we did in the 15th century. You can't make generalizations based on what people believe in. ;)

More important is whether your belief affects your actions? Does it? If it does, then it indicates you're inherently immoral or lacking confidence in your conscience.

explosions

More important is whether your belief affects your actions? Does it? If it does, then it indicates you're inherently immoral or lacking confidence in your conscience.

Either way you choose to go, it affects your actions. Religion shows more confidence in your beliefs, imo. If only half of those people would use that determination to benefit our future generations, I believe pollution would no longer be a problem, and endangered species would be given enough habitat to ensure they wouldn't become another picture in a history book, or an artists rendition on TV.

Yeah and it's realllllly late so I'll leave on that note.

eldiablov

Contributor
Either way you choose to go, it affects your actions. Religion shows more confidence in your beliefs, imo.

It shows having confidence regardless of the truth behind it all. In other words, there could be people who refuse to believe cars and coal burning factories cause pollution, they believe it so much that they preach this to other people and more and more factories and cars are created to the point where there's no ice caps left.

That's pretty much a summary of what religious belief is like.

ChurchedAtheist

Your resident psycho hobo
I do not believe I have to be good AND actively worship god to be "saved" if in case god existed.

I think the quote in my sig applies well here. if you DO have to be saved, he is a pompous ass.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
148760_120677303045398841958_2dbd_485d_b902_06d894e4c015_1.jpg

I win this thread.

Sorry Eran D: xD

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Not at all. You're taking things way out of proportion.

As it stands there is more proof that says Sasquatch is real than there is that says God is real. Prove me otherwise.

Youre going to sit there and tell me that you have proof that Hitler DIDNT create the internet? Please, i beg you to prove it to me. Then, when you have your evidence that Hitler DIDNT create the internet, I want you to prove to me and everyone else in the world without an single doubt and 100% factual proof that someone else did and not Martians. Then I want you to prove to me that Jesus Christ DIDNT slide down from heaven, make the internet, gave it to the US Military and then went back to heaven.

You will not be able to prove ANYTHING, EVER, AT ALL, IN EXISTANCE, for an 100% actual, undoubtful, impervious fact. And thats the truth, the only true fact in the world is that their are no facts

Colm

[qimg]http://n2.cdn.spikedhumor.com/1/622000/148760_120677303045398841958_2dbd_485d_b902_06d894e4c015_1.jpg[/qimg]

I win this thread.

Sorry Eran D: xD
Ehh, this thread has gone way off the point. You are free to win it. I've got what I need from a lot of the first posts, some of the counter-arguments are useful but I'd probably have locked this thread if it were up to me.

I'm just interested in seeing if this thread can be used to prove Godwin's law.

explosions

It shows having confidence regardless of the truth behind it all. In other words, there could be people who refuse to believe cars and coal burning factories cause pollution, they believe it so much that they preach this to other people and more and more factories and cars are created to the point where there's no ice caps left.

That's pretty much a summary of what religious belief is like.

I'm saying that, if put to good use, there's nothing wrong with strong belief. I think. I was kinda off last night. But why all of the negativity in your post? Religion isn't hurting you.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I'm just interested in seeing if this thread can be used to prove Godwin's law.
It already has. See below.

Well anything is possible if you want to word it like that.

Mars could be inhabited beneath the surface or the internet could have been created by Hitler. Anything really is possible, theres no way to know anything for a 100% fact

Youre going to sit there and tell me that you have proof that Hitler DIDNT create the internet? Please, i beg you to prove it to me. Then, when you have your evidence that Hitler DIDNT create the internet, I want you to prove to me and everyone else in the world without an single doubt and 100% factual proof that someone else did and not Martians. Then I want you to prove to me that Jesus Christ DIDNT slide down from heaven, make the internet, gave it to the US Military and then went back to heaven.

You will not be able to prove ANYTHING, EVER, AT ALL, IN EXISTANCE, for an 100% actual, undoubtful, impervious fact. And thats the truth, the only true fact in the world is that their are no facts