• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

i got a virus :(

Alex

hey guys i have a virus in my laptop and my virus scanners wont pick it up, ive used kaspersky, avg and spybot and im gonna do windows defender now.

what it is is that it logs into my msn on MY laptop and sends links to everyone and if im signed into facebook it does it on facebook too.

anyone got anytips on where to find it :/

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Avast is a pretty good anti-virus, it's free as well.
Personally though, if I know that I have something like that on my system, I try to nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. IE, reinstall windows. xD

Alex

yeah but thats a last resort - i got too much music to lose :p

but being serious i think if windows defender dont do it i think im going to have to....

Edit/Update - Avast is blank aswell...

mortalinstincts

eXophase Staff
Something to remember for next time - Never keep your personal documents (music, movies, photos and other data which you fear losing) in your C drive (or whatever your main windows drive is). That way formats don't hurt as much.

Alex

Something to remember for next time - Never keep your personal documents (music, movies, photos and other data which you fear losing) in your C drive (or whatever your main windows drive is). That way formats don't hurt as much.

yeah ive been meaning to buy an external hard drive but i always put it off....

im running spyware doctor now - seeing if that picks anything up...

january39

eXo Staff
Have you tried posting the hijackthis log on a reputable forum board? I have done it before and got a solution within a couple of days. Downside - It only takes one piece of bad advice and a re-format is on its way.

Alex

Have you tried posting the hijackthis log on a reputable forum board? I have done it before and got a solution within a couple of days. Downside - It only takes one piece of bad advice and a re-format is on its way.

where can i get the log from???

Alex

I think its gone - i set my kaspersky to lockdown mode and deep scan and it picked up a trojan and quarantined and deleted it....
everything seems to be better so far...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
I think its gone - i set my kaspersky to lockdown mode and deep scan and it picked up a trojan and quarantined and deleted it....

I still say you nuke it. It's the only way to be sure ;)
Just kidding.

Alex

haha thanks for your help guys, i'll give yous +rep ;)

january39

eXo Staff

I use kapersky, how do you do that? Lock down and deep scan.

How do you find kapersky, when it runs my comp feels like it is runnign through jelly very very slow.

Alex

I use kapersky, how do you do that? Lock down and deep scan.

How do you find kapersky, when it runs my comp feels like it is runnign through jelly very very slow.

goto settings at the top right hand side and goto full scan in settings and change it from default to deep scan.

kaspersky runs great on my pc, all the other av's slow down my laptop or pc - only kaspersky keeps it fast whilst offering the best protection :)

XsavioR

Make sure you log in safe mode to scan.

These viruses are ultra common , well they used to be . Should be really easy to wipe.

This should go with out saying , even if u know theperson sending links , never click it till they say more then :

ww/\/\.ifuclickmeyourinfected.com

Its important to wait a minute or two when receiving links randomly with no explanation. These viruses type faster then the poor bastard who is sending it , and trying to warn u .

reboot in safe mode equipped with this on a usb drive, with networking support.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cureit.html

Ive used it to clean up some super viruses from removable media. works well, needs internet to update to run.

january39

eXo Staff
goto settings at the top right hand side and goto full scan in settings and change it from default to deep scan.

kaspersky runs great on my pc, all the other av's slow down my laptop or pc - only kaspersky keeps it fast whilst offering the best protection :)

Odd, it slows my lappy down almost to a standstill - its a right pain :(

Cheers for the deep scan tip

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
Avast is a pretty good anti-virus, it's free as well.
Personally though, if I know that I have something like that on my system, I try to nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. IE, reinstall windows. xD

Same :p I keep only windows related files on C and most of my programs are portable so a format is only a click away. Haven't been hit by a virus in years, though. Pretty hard to get infected nowadays as long as you stay away from dodgy web plugins or cracks.

And btw, if you ever come across a suspicious file that you're not sure about I'd recommend uploading it to http://www.virustotal.com. It's a free online-based service that scans for viruses using over 30 different scanners. Very useful in my experience.

Alex

Make sure you log in safe mode to scan.

These viruses are ultra common , well they used to be . Should be really easy to wipe.

This should go with out saying , even if u know theperson sending links , never click it till they say more then :

ww/\/\.ifuclickmeyourinfected.com

Its important to wait a minute or two when receiving links randomly with no explanation. These viruses type faster then the poor bastard who is sending it , and trying to warn u .

reboot in safe mode equipped with this on a usb drive, with networking support.
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/cureit.html

Ive used it to clean up some super viruses from removable media. works well, needs internet to update to run.

i'll do that now to double check its gone - but its all good so far. As for the virus, i think it came from my brother cause he was on some game site last night, i never click links from msn im not that silly lol.

Darkchild

The Doctor
Same :p I keep only windows related files on C and most of my programs are portable so a format is only a click away. Haven't been hit by a virus in years, though. Pretty hard to get infected nowadays as long as you stay away from dodgy web plugins or cracks.

And btw, if you ever come across a suspicious file that you're not sure about I'd recommend uploading it to http://www.virustotal.com. It's a free online-based service that scans for viruses using over 30 different scanners. Very useful in my experience.

I do the same, though, using linux makes it even harder to get viruses xD