• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

"I watched this film today and I recommend/don't recommend it."

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Finally saw True Grit and The King's Speech over the past two days. Both were pretty awesome. I actually re-watched the last 30 minutes of True Grit again immediately after I finished the movie. It was one amazing chunk of film.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
Finally saw True Grit and The King's Speech over the past two days. Both were pretty awesome. I actually re-watched the last 30 minutes of True Grit again immediately after I finished the movie. It was one amazing chunk of film.

I saw The King's Speech very recently too, thought Geoffrey Rush was really good for the role. I'll probably watch True Grit today now that you've reminded me about it.

The Hangover 2 was pretty hilarious, I enjoyed it. Without Galifianakis it would've sunk hard, he stole the show.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
Seen three more films since my last post, managing to cross off more from my list.

One of them was Blade Runner, I've always heard it's the best sci-fi flick so I'm not sure why it took so long for me to watch it. I felt it was pretty slow-paced but it completely redeemed itself with the last 30 minutes. I'm sure it will be the type of film that I'll look back on in time and appreciate even more.

True Grit was very solid, Bridges is a badass motherfucker. The clay pigeon shooting scene was golden.

I just finished watching Gone Baby Gone and I'm really looking forward to any future films Ben Affleck will direct. A young girl has gone missing and two private detectives are hired to help find her. I'll try not to spoil it too much but the ending contained a moral dilemma which really made me question what I would've done in the protagonist's position. A lot of tense moments, great crime story.

I highly recommend all of them.

Riorio99

Watched the Family Guy Star Wars Trilogy. Nothing spectacular, but I'm not a huge fan of Family Guy or Star Wars. They had their moments.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Seen three more films since my last post, managing to cross off more from my list.

One of them was Blade Runner, I've always heard it's the best sci-fi flick so I'm not sure why it took so long for me to watch it. I felt it was pretty slow-paced but it completely redeemed itself with the last 30 minutes. I'm sure it will be the type of film that I'll look back on in time and appreciate even more.

True Grit was very solid, Bridges is a badass motherfucker. The clay pigeon shooting scene was golden.

I just finished watching Gone Baby Gone and I'm really looking forward to any future films Ben Affleck will direct. A young girl has gone missing and two private detectives are hired to help find her. I'll try not to spoil it too much but the ending contained a moral dilemma which really made me question what I would've done in the protagonist's position. A lot of tense moments, great crime story.

I highly recommend all of them.

If you haven't seen The Town yet, you should check it out. It's Affleck's most recent writer/director/actor film and is pretty decent.

Andy

Champion of the Sun
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly -Don't think I've seen a western before so I decided to start with what's supposedly the best. Loved every minute of it and I thought the characters were perfect. The score made this film's climax one of the best I've ever seen.

Dirty Harry - Thought this was really good, Andy Robinson was great at making me loathe his character 'Scorpio'. The big "fuck yeah" when Eastwood catches him turned into a "fuck no" very fast. I want to try some more Clint Eastwood films, any recommendations?

Spirited Away - I've always had a bit of prejudice against anime which I knew was irrational so I thought I'd ease into the genre with this. I definitely enjoyed it but I don't think it's the masterpiece everyone claims it is. Still, it's opened my mind to anime so I think I'll watch Grave of the Fireflies next, which according to Ebert is one of the greatest war films ever made.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
If you like Good/Bad, check out High Plains Drifter, it's one of my favorite Eastwood westerns, and he directed it too. You can also make an argument that his character can be the Devil or at the very least a ghost.

Also, Unforgiven is by far his best western and most recent if you haven't seen it yet. Gran Torino is pretty great as well, but now a western.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Seen Attack The Block over the weekend. Quite enjoyed it with the alien design being influenced by the old school space invader cabinet detail designs (anyone not sure what I mean, I'm referring to this).

It's sort of part sci-fi, part comedy and part horror. I really enjoyed it and it has an average user rating of 74% on Rotten Tomatoes which I would agree with roughly. Some of the stuff in it is subtle but definitely would recommend seeing it. Might be a bit difficult though as none of my usual cinemas seemed to be showing it, had to go to a different one of the other side of Belfast.

Here's a video for the trailer.

[video=youtube;cD0gm7dHKKc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0gm7dHKKc[/video]

Andy

Champion of the Sun
If you like Good/Bad, check out High Plains Drifter, it's one of my favorite Eastwood westerns, and he directed it too. You can also make an argument that his character can be the Devil or at the very least a ghost.

Also, Unforgiven is by far his best western and most recent if you haven't seen it yet. Gran Torino is pretty great as well, but now a western.

I remember you mentioning High Plains Drifter, I'll grab it now. I was also checking out Unforgiven earlier, it's on my list. Thanks.

Robby

Los Doyers!
Spirited Away - I've always had a bit of prejudice against anime which I knew was irrational so I thought I'd ease into the genre with this. I definitely enjoyed it but I don't think it's the masterpiece everyone claims it is. Still, it's opened my mind to anime so I think I'll watch Grave of the Fireflies next, which according to Ebert is one of the greatest war films ever made.
I loved that movie. Saw it a few years ago at my Aunt's house and ended up buying it, I tend to watch it once a year.

Andy

Champion of the Sun

Saw High Plains Drifter and Unforgiven a few days ago, both were very good. Any recommendations for what to see next?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
Just saw X-Men: First Class on Friday and it was a good movie. Still not sure where I sit with it. Didn't leave a lasting impression and was predictable but it had some good parts. Think I would recommend it as a rent later on. I actually preferred Hangover Part II to this and I am a huge X-Men fan

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Saw High Plains Drifter and Unforgiven a few days ago, both were very good. Any recommendations for what to see next?

As far as Eastwood westerns go, the only other two I would recommend before you get burnt out are Pale Rider and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Escape From Alcatraz is another Eastwood flick worth checking out. It's one of those movies you can pick up at any place when you catch it on TV, like Shawshank.

If you want to go another direction with westerns just to change things up try Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Only watch that Newman film if you haven't seen Cool Hand Luke yet. If you haven't, you should enjoy it.

@Frozen - I feel like I've already seen all of 1st Class from the trailers.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
As far as Eastwood westerns go, the only other two I would recommend before you get burnt out are Pale Rider and The Outlaw Josey Wales. Escape From Alcatraz is another Eastwood flick worth checking out. It's one of those movies you can pick up at any place when you catch it on TV, like Shawshank.

If you want to go another direction with westerns just to change things up try Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. Only watch that Newman film if you haven't seen Cool Hand Luke yet. If you haven't, you should enjoy it.

@Frozen - I feel like I've already seen all of 1st Class from the trailers.

That very well may be true as some trailers just give away a bit too much (especially the one I just looked at). That's why I almost never look at trailers (although hard to avoid them in the movie theaters)