• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone/iPod Touch General Discussion

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Hey. From what I've been reading it looks like a iTouch 2G jailbreak is somewhere on the horizon? I was jsut wondering how popular homebrew is on the iTouch. I was also wondering what language homebrew is written in on the iTouch. Anyone know?

Mister Chief

I've been following iDT since Geohot was considered the coolest kid ever. I definetly know exactly how this is going to work. :)

No you don't.

You would flash your iPod with a jailbroken kernel. This would cause the iPod to become unbootable due to signature checks in the bootrom and LLB. But once you had flashed this kernel you could connect our iPod to your PC or another device via the dock connector and apply a RAM patch to iboot which would allow the jailbroken kernel to load as long as the iPod wasn't turned off. If it was to be turned off it would refuse to boot until the patch was reapplied via a PC/hardware device or until the iPod was restored.

I heard that this mod involves modifying hardware.. am I right?

No it's software-only. - MuscleNerd

eighty4

YOU DONT MODIFY HARDWARE. You are modifying the core firmware on an iPod Touch, not any of it's hardware. Ask the right question next time.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
The small device is onyl going to be used to reboot and jailbreak like that. The inital jailbreak itself will need you to open it.

Um, what?

They can just release the tethered jailbreak, which would be very similar to a normal jailbreak except you need a 2.1.1 .ipsw and you also need to get Cydia and Installer for yourself. That's about it.

Additional Comment:
YOU DONT MODIFY HARDWARE. You are modifying the core firmware on an iPod Touch, not any of it's hardware. Ask the right question next time.

The hardware stuff was a quote. It was some noob asking about it on the iPhone dev team blog.

Robby

Los Doyers!
So far I got excited for nothing. Too much hype was built around this and now its not looking like its going to be an easy modification.

eighty4

ANY type of jailbreak that they will release now - will require other hardware to perform this besides a computer. Honestly, go ask and find out.

eighty4

A) Back up what you're saying with your next post.

B) Find yourself banned from this thread.

Comical. Threaten to ban me from a thread because YOU messed up YOUR timeline? :laugh:

eeabaa30deed3aaae66c0b93891c8423.png

834e5a5da1da43483f6bf593f95a7585.png

Sounds liek you'll need hardware - like I said from the fucking beginning.

Freshmilk

is Over 9000
Ummm, yeah, so I guess no one knows what language iPod Touch homebrew is written in, then? I couldn't find anything on Google, DCEmu, QJ, ect. Maybe I'm just searching the wrong things here. Could someone link me to an iPod hacking community?

Robby

Los Doyers!
Objective-C is what the apps are made in. I don't know if the same goes for homebrew.

Vee

What the fuck? Why are people getting banned from this thread, over miscommunications? He has every right to post here as you do Mister Cheif, if not more. Seeing as he's been in this iPhone community for twice as long as you.