• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone/iPod Touch General Discussion

-chw42-

Like a Boss
How much you wanna bet Steve Jobs uses a jailbroken iphone.

He wouldn't need to. :closedeyes: He can hack it all he wants. All he has to do is tell his engineers what he wants and they will deliver.

---------- Post added at 03:04 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 03:03 PM EST ----------

I'd actually love to see Apple go ahead and try enforcing this new idea. What are they going to do, run round in jeans and hippy t-shirts and try to lock us all up?

Anybody living outside of the United States (let's just say North America to be safe) would not be restricted by this. Therefore, all you Brits and Europeans don't have to deal with this bullshit, that is if it get passed. This is strictly within the United States right now and as of right now, jailbreaking is not illegal.

spike021

iPhone Developer (prev. PSP Dev)
What do you plan on making?

I don't really know to tell you the truth, I have some ideas that I'm currently working on. Although I do still need ideas if you have any. The only thing that I ask with ideas/requests is that they aren't copy-righted.

I opened Unity, and I feel intimidated by it actually, the professionals use it :bored:

I'm going to see about using it, but it may possibly be too advanced.

mohaas05

It's ironic that Apple is making their music DRM free while at the same time cracking down on jailbreaking.

I mean honestly, the profit they make from apps must not be that much compared to the rest of their sales.

Moose

Meta Moose
It's ironic that Apple is making their music DRM free while at the same time cracking down on jailbreaking.

I mean honestly, the profit they make from apps must not be that much compared to the rest of their sales.

Compared, no. But I wouldn't be surprised if they still rake in a ton of money from the App Store.

Mister Chief

How much you wanna bet Steve Jobs uses a jailbroken iphone.

The iPhone dev team have stated in the past how many internal Apple IP's had downloaded their tools. They stated in their chaos conference presentation but I can't remember the number off the top of my head.

spike021

Compared, no. But I wouldn't be surprised if they still rake in a ton of money from the App Store.

Oh, I'm sure they do. Here's a bit of App Store logic that developers are agreeing about.

If you can get onto any of the top lists, you instantly earn hundreds of purchases a day. If you can get onto the Top 100 total, it can be close to thousands per day depending on your app's price point. But: there are many more apps that aren't on the top lists that barely get a purchase per a day if any (like my app).

Music only sells 1.29 and lower in the US. Apps on the Store average about, say 2.99. I'd say that they're about even. That's if you consider the amount of time that the Music Store's been around compared to the App Store.

mohaas05

True. Apple really does deserve to rake in all that money considering how great its products are compared to other companies.

spike021

He did - it's pretty easy when you have a game that's good, cheap, and a Top 10.

It depends. But no, do you talk to developers on a regular basis that have actual apps in the top list at least once?

I have friends that have had apps in the top list. They make about 10x more, yes. But no one has made that much per a day. Save for perhaps FieldRunners, which has been in the top 100 for at least a month or other apps like that. Most apps only stay in the top list for a week at most depending on how well they're received within the iPhone community. If it's a .99 game, he would have to have been selling on average a little over 40,000 times because you only get 70% of the income, Apple takes 30%. Plus whatever taxes are deducted.

eighty4

Umm yeah - pretty much every person known in the Mac community has an App on the store. About 5 of the ones I talk to regularly have had at least one on the Top 10.

spike021

I'd interest myself in app store developing too if I didn't have to fork over a hundred bucks to apple first.

At the moment, it's $99 annually, but I sent a customer support email asking if they might change it, and they said:

Apple Support said:
Hello,

Thank you for contacting the Apple Developer Program.

At present the iPhone Developer program involves developers paying an annual fee. There has been announcements made about a change to this policy.

We hope you find this information useful. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you have any further problems or queries.

Best regards

So it sounds like (unless I'm reading it wrong), they're contemplating changing it to a one-time fee. *crosses fingers*

Whisper

Logic :(
At the moment, it's $99 annually, but I sent a customer support email asking if they might change it, and they said:

So it sounds like (unless I'm reading it wrong), they're contemplating changing it to a one-time fee. *crosses fingers*
It's a little vague to assume anything. They might just split it into monthly charges... make it a little more manageable. Oh course that's just my assumption to apple's business practices.

Mister Chief