• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone/iPod Touch General Discussion

Bran

Yell
well when I have it plugged into the laptop and hold power and home for 10 seconds it pops up with the device not recognized thing, but if I try to make it go to DFU it does nothing.

I'll go try it on my desktop.

---------- Post added at 07:23 PM EST ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 PM EST ----------

I turned it off with the slider btw... if that makes a difference.

Bran

Yell
Ok, so it was not working on my laptop for some fucked up reason. But it worked on my desktop. I can't use the chimes as prompts on my desktop cause it's onboard sound is borked.

I don't know what was up with that but thanks for everyones help anyway.

Sullivan

So whats the progress with this jailbreak? Hows everything going?

Vee

Currently, you can only keep your 2G iPod touch jailbroken after reboot, if you have it connected to your computer. Some dev team recently released a video showing the iPod touch being rebooted with a dongle. So chances are, thats the future of jailbreaking for the 2G/

Moose

Meta Moose
There are two types of Jailbreak:

1) Tethered: Your iPod will NOT boot on its own if you turn it off. Once the iPod has been turned off you need the aid of a computer to boot it.

2) Semi-tethered: Your iPod will boot into the iPod firmware but with all JB patches NOT applied (the iPod is not JB) if turned off and then back on without having the patch applied via a computer (the same patch as if you were running a tethered JB iPod). If the patch is applied before booting the iPod, it will boot into the firmware with all JB patches applied.

Sullivan

Dongle? As something attaches to the port on the bottom? Or a fully un-tethered jailbreak.
I don't want to have to put a patch on every now and then, I guess I will keep waiting.

Moose

Meta Moose
It is still tethered (or semi-tethered), but the dongle is used to apply the boot patches to the iPod rather than connect it to a computer.

Sullivan

I don't know/understand what the dongle is, are there pictures/videos of this?

Sullivan

Ok, I thought it was something like that, but I wouldn't want to carry that dongle around with me.

mohaas05

Ok, I thought it was something like that, but I wouldn't want to carry that dongle around with me.

If you watched the video, he said that that dongle was overly big and the only thing you really needed was the little microchip in the center of it.

Sullivan

If you watched the video, he said that that dongle was overly big and the only thing you really needed was the little microchip in the center of it.

No audio atm, haven't hooked it up on my new pc.

_Syn

I'm still on the tethered jailbreak folks, all this dongle talk is making my dongle dongle :blush:. HAHAHA, that made me laugh, not really ..

I think that the semi-tethered way involves too much detail, which I may not have time for, but I have the time to reboot my Touch, it only takes 5 minutes to reboot it. It takes longer to put it in DFU mode than the actual pressing of the GUI buttons and stuff.

-chw42-

Like a Boss
Semi tethered sucks. It has so many problems. It's the same thing as tethered if you have MobileInstallation patch on there, because when you boot it into normal, it will just loop continuously at the Apple logo and not boot.

_Syn

LOL, thanks Vee :p

Semi-tethered jailbreak is just an excuse to make it seem like we are getting "closer" to an untethered jailbreak (which we may or may not be, considering the rumors regarding the devs not releasing it) but right now, it seems as if there is no progress made.

Whisper

Logic :(
I think a untethered jailbreak is on the back burners. I could be wrong but judging from other projects they are working on it is a possibility.