• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

iPhone OS 4.0 Wrap-up: What it Means for You

KezraPlanes

Just some dood
o.o how bad does iPhone OS suck? Symbian has had multitasking for years =\

TeamOverload

They admit they aren't the first ones to do it, but simply do it the best. They wanted to do it without taking a major performance hit or battery life decrease. I know, it's probably just a bunch of excuses, but it looks like the end result turned out very nicely and is worth the wait.

KezraPlanes

Just some dood

TeamOverload

Looks pretty neat I suppose. Not that I'm going to get excited about advertisements, but the level of interactivity, and how it becomes almost an app of it's own is great. Apple hosts and sells the ads themselves for 40% and the developer gets the other 60% too. Not bad at all.

Moose

Meta Moose
Shame that the multitasking won't be coming to the 2G iPod Touch's and 3G iPhone's.

MenaceInc

Staff Member
No multitasking absolutely sucks BUT the ability to customize my background (not just the lockscreen) and have folders (no more swiping for apps :D) is awesome.

Pokemanz master

Lowering your IQ
Aren't these features already on a jailbroken ipod for download?
So pretty much apple stole ideas like sony(custom xmb etc)

Moose

Meta Moose
It's not copying at all. =| Since when was multitasking - generally - ever a feature discovered and pioneered by the jailbreaking community?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
It's not copying at all. =| Since when was multitasking - generally - ever a feature discovered and pioneered by the jailbreaking community?

Think he's just implying that all these new features were originally accomplished on the jailbroken devices. Apple has copied the iBook's application from an existing application, backgrounds have existed since the first days of jailbreaking, bluetooth keyboard support has been explored by the community, etc.

TeamOverload

Aren't these features already on a jailbroken ipod for download?
So pretty much apple stole ideas like sony(custom xmb etc)

These ideas aren't exactly anything new or revolutionary, however handy they may be. I don't think they really needed to steal anything. I don't think the people who added multitasking to jailbroken iPhone OS were the first people to ever come up with. Not to mention, people do use the product legitimately, and have been asking for these features. Apple is delivering, and with some impressive looking stuff, I don't think that's a reason to complain.

El Diablo

I just don't understand what's so impressing about features a lot of other phones have had for a while, and that the users already came up with on their devices. Are they nice features? Yes. But for such an expensive device, I think these things should have been there from the start, not 3 years later, but that's just my opinion.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
I just don't understand what's so impressing about features a lot of other phones have had for a while, and that the users already came up with on their devices. Are they nice features? Yes. But for such an expensive device, I think these things should have been there from the start, not 3 years later, but that's just my opinion.

People aren't really "impressed" by it, they have all been asking for these features for a long time so they general consensus is: "Finally!", that's why people are excited about it.

madsoul

I generally dont understand the whining. Yes, people made alternatives for the jailbroken world, but Im pretty sure apples official version will work alot smoother in every aspect. Thats just me. Its nothing special about this update, but there is NOTHING really to whine about either. I didnt see ANYTHING horrible with this update at all. Just some more sweet features, that is not revulotionary in any way, but a nice touch. I dont give a shit that the jailbrake scene where first with wallpapers etc. Yes, apple certainly waited with features to have enough stuff to show up and claim them to be new and amazing, but what is there to whine about? Nothing.

agentnnc

That Guy I Am
Looks like apple hasn't completely copied Winterboard yet. Nothing on customizable icons, keyboards or load screens.

Moose

Meta Moose
Looks like apple hasn't completely copied Winterboard yet. Nothing on customizable icons, keyboards or load screens.

I don't think they'll take it as far as that... they'd have to create a whole new section in the App store for themes and they would also have a massive amount of terribly poor made themes to go through, only to find the occasional decent theme in perhaps every hundred submitted?