• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming Is This PS4's Controller?

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team

An image has surfaced on the web that looks like it may be the new PlayStation 4 controller. Rumors have pegged the controller to have a touchpad on the front of the controller, and this controller features just that. What we are most likely looking at is a development kit and corresponding controller.

The new controller seems to feature a touchpad area, a built-in speaker, a large indicator light (probably for debug purposes) and modified thumbsticks to provide a more secure grip.

Continue reading...

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
1) Analog sticks are ugly
2) Could be an LCD screen - hard to tell. There's no design on it (like the back of the Vita) which leads me to believe a possible LCD touch screen - but then again, it is a development kit. It is VERY bulky though which also supports the LCD theory.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
The d-pad looks nice, but yeah not a fan of those analog sticks. I would say it's likely not the final version judging from the hard wire attached to it.

FrozenIpaq

Justin B / Supp. Editor
Enforcer Team
The d-pad looks nice, but yeah not a fan of those analog sticks. I would say it's likely not the final version judging from the hard wire attached to it.

Final version most definitely not. Is it a close representation of where Sony's going with their new controller - I think so.

EDIT: Also looks like there is a 3.5mm jack on the bottom of the controller

Moose

Meta Moose
That looks very ugly but I suppose looks isn't the main consideration for development equipment... as demonstrated by the dev. console!

hush404

Closer image here: <a rel="nofollow" href="http://www.abload.de/img/11xjjj.jpg">[www.abload.de]</a>
Does indeed look like jack on the bottom. Speaker on the front? Someone mentioned the big light being a PS Move integration sort of deal.

Abe Froeman

Gamer Dad
Enforcer Team
Looks like there's a speaker on it too. I don't need sound coming out of my controller draining the battery.