• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Wii Iwata Expresses Regret Over Wii Marketing Strategy

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
iwata.jpg

The always frank Nintendo president Satoru Iwata isn't taking the Wii's breakout success for granted. With 70 million units sold and counting, he feels the company faltered from a marketing standpoint, which had a negative impact on the Wii's effective lifespan.

Iwata says the mindset stems from Nintendo's reliance on itself. Going forward, Iwata wants to team with outside partners to bolster marketing efforts.

"I now regret that we didn't tie up with someone outside the company to market the Wii[...]

Continue reading: Iwata Expresses Regret Over Wii Marketing Strategy...

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
No, Lol. That's not the reason.

You probably have never owned a wii. Nor Played any of the awesome games it has underneath the pile of Shovelware.
Not to mention Virtual Console is amazing.

And with 70 million units sold in under half a decade. It's hardly dying, nor dead.

Josey Wales

Evil Poptart
Trigun makes a good point, however he forgot the most important thing

The Wii was/is way too fucking gay

The design, the controllers, the ui and the general game development teetering on "ages 5-13" all were terrible and did nothing to help its marketing. Everything about the Wii to me was an attempt at marketing modern day tech (at the time) to children. Im not saying the Wii was terrible but its almost incomparable to the ps3 and 360 as a current gen console.

january39

eXo Staff
Trigun makes a good point, however he forgot the most important thing

The Wii was/is way too fucking gay

The design, the controllers, the ui and the general game development teetering on "ages 5-13" all were terrible and did nothing to help its marketing. Everything about the Wii to me was an attempt at marketing modern day tech (at the time) to children. Im not saying the Wii was terrible but its almost incomparable to the ps3 and 360 as a current gen console.

I'm with you, the target market was too young and as a result almost all the games out on it are the same, fashions pass and change and the Wii has fallen into that trap of simply not being 'cool' enough for anyone to care. The motion control is a bit ropey as well.

ShadowmanX5

I did enjoy the Wii for the time I've had it. Though I agree with what has been said, the age range it was aimed at was just to young and the only real game I played was Smash Bros. Brawl :| however, unlock the Wii with the Homebrew channel and it becomes a whole new console!! Old SNES Games NES games and even N64 emulators. Gives me something to do while the PSN is down