• Steam recently changed the default privacy settings for all users. This may impact tracking. Ensure your profile has the correct settings by following the guide on our forums.

Gaming Judge Grants TRO Against George Hotz

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
gavel.jpg

The legal battle between George "Geohot" Hotz and Sony has taken a somewhat unexpected turn, as US District Judge Susan Illston has granted Sony's request for a temporary restraining order (TRO). New filings, unearthed today, indicate that the further hearings will remain in California as well.

"The Court has reviewed all of the filed materials, and after consideration of the record and the arguments of counsel, the Court finds that a temporary restraining order is warranted[...]

Continue reading: Judge Grants TRO Against George Hotz...

MenaceInc

Staff Member
Riiiiight. So is Hotz not allowed within 500m of a Sony office then?

Mentality

How much did Sony pay the judge, this is ridiculous, there was resounding evidence to the complete opposite of what they have stated there.

rianchio23

$ony definitely paid somebody off or the judge is incompetent. How are you gonna change your mind about there not being relevant info? Fuck the judge and fuck $ony. I smell bullshit...and a paid off judge...

rianchio23

Guess what sony no matter what u do u will not stop this movement. Sony winning this is just gonna outrage people more and fuel the people to pirate more. This is just one more example of how our justice system is flawed and can be bought. Corporations run America and here is another example.....fuck the US government, justice system and most of all fuck jewish money hungry $ony

rianchio23

it says in the legal documents that sony had to put down 10,000$ for "security purposes for the court" to even get the TRO passed....wtf? thats proof of paying off the court....

rianchio23

i hope so but ive seen first hand how the justice system sucks. i watched a mexican judge let off beaners with the same charges as me without a single dollar to be paid.....since im american i got stuck with a 2500$ ticket... go figure....

MenaceInc

Staff Member
i hope so but ive seen first hand how the justice system sucks. i watched a mexican judge let off beaners with the same charges as me without a single dollar to be paid.....since im american i got stuck with a 2500$ ticket... go figure....

Can you please hold back on the racism dude? Unfortunately there's favouritism everywhere in the world but that doesn't warrant insulting an entire ethnic group.

Dan

Contributor
Guess what sony no matter what u do u will not stop this movement. Sony winning this is just gonna outrage people more and fuel the people to pirate more. This is just one more example of how our justice system is flawed and can be bought. Corporations run America and here is another example.....fuck the US government, justice system and most of all fuck jewish money hungry $ony

What the actual fuck did you just say?

That's gotta suck for Hotz, it's not like he's the sole orchestrator of the PS3 securpocalypse.

I feel he's being singled out simply as he doesn't use an alias and is well known from the iOS Jailbreaking community. Making an example of Hotz is just cruel and in no ways productive in stopping the PS3 Homebrew community. Plus, they're going after the wrong guy, Hotz's work has specifically allows uniquely identifiable homebrew and prevents piracy. If Sony wants this to pan out in there favor at all, they should be backing Hotz.

Adiuvo

You're an idiot.

Is this entire case public? I don't mean legal papers released on either side, I mean is the entire thing in the public domain? If not nobody here can really make any claims on it.

Furthermore, Illston is hardly a corporate shill. If you're going to talk about someone at least research them. Ruling history.

Spiros

Maiki
We've kinda gone away from what's important, what I can't seem to figure out is what law(s) did fail0verflow and geohot break? My understanding is they never released anything that contained Sony's own code, so they didn't break a law.

I'm with Zero aswell, doesn't seem right that they're singling out geohot almost exclusively (doesn't seem like they're pursuing members of fail0verflow, or any of the other 100 "Does" with the same intensity). Anyway, hopefully this will get overturned, otherwise we are heading in the wrong direction.

x3sphere

Administrator
Staff member
Enforcer Team
Game Info Editor
They can't do anything to fail0verflow at this point really. The TRO was granted under the DMCA, which has no jurisdiction outside the US.

In fact Sony's whole basis for this case seems to hedge on the DMCA. Ridiculous thing is, all this circumvention stuff is completely legal for mobile phones. There's no reason why it shouldn't apply to all devices. I hope this case changes that.

Trigun

That guy, who Records Music.
That's gotta suck for Hotz, it's not like he's the sole orchestrator of the PS3 securpocalypse.

I feel he's being singled out simply as he doesn't use an alias and is well known from the iOS Jailbreaking community. Making an example of Hotz is just cruel and in no ways productive in stopping the PS3 Homebrew community. Plus, they're going after the wrong guy, Hotz's work has specifically allows uniquely identifiable homebrew and prevents piracy. If Sony wants this to pan out in there favor at all, they should be backing Hotz.
Yeah, I don't get it.
It's fucking stupid to say the least. And I feel sorry for the guy if this doesn't get overturned.

Spiros

Maiki
I feel sorry for all of us if this doesn't get overturned. This has huge implications for all of us.

El Diablo

I love how all of Sonys "evidence" against him is pure circumstantial, its fucking retarded. There is a name on PSN named Geo1Hotz or whatever, so they fucking claim he HAS to have an account and agreed to the TOS of PSN, or they send $1 to his paypal account and it goes through so they claim he was accepting donations and making money off of his work on the PS3. How could a judge ever actually go along with this garbage and not dismiss the case.

BlackSheep

$ony definitely paid somebody off or the judge is incompetent. How are you gonna change your mind about there not being relevant info? Fuck the judge and fuck $ony. I smell bullshit...and a paid off judge...

Whats wrong with "JEWS AND BEANERS"? and how does this affect you in any way?